Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, so, i was driving my grandkids from a store. it was rather chill outside at 30F. so i started my 2012 pilot 3.5 liter, warmed it up for 2 minutes then started to drive off a STORE. then 3 minutes into driving, the car suddenly just died. towed it to my house. and here's what is going on:
  • car wont even crank, instead, it would send a rattling noise right behind a fuse box that is right across my left knee on the passenger side
  • also found that under the hood by passenger side fuse box, there's this other really that is also rattling but stops when i pull it out. according to further research online, this relay is numbered R11, which i think is PGM-FI main relay no. 1. i could not find any other really but some forum say's there's one under the steering wheel but can't find it.
  • also checked many U tube video and some do confirm that it is PGM MAIN relay, but again, not sure where it is on my pilot.
-I even enlisted the help from the mechanics at "JUST ANSWER.COM" and they were no help. because they told me it's the starter so i busted some knuckles and skin just trying to remove the starter and testing it and it came out ok. anyone, please give me any tips on what to check AS this is my only way of transportation. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Have you checked the battery?

Reactions: Slvr7

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have. that was the first thing i checked and i'm getting 12.5 VDC from battery, i even tested the starter and that was not easy to remove and reinstall

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i keep on seeing online through many youtubes and some forum that the PGM-FI Main relay but i still can't find where it is

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Sorry to keep going back to the battery.
Have you checked the battery ground cable. These can become corroded in two and/or where they connect to the chassis. There should also be intact corrosion free ground straps from the engine to the chassis and transmission to chassis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can check that, but i do get continuity from body ground of the car to the ground side of the relay slot on the fuse box. but ure saying that even though i get ground that it might not be a good ground?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
i can check that, but i do get continuity from body ground of the car to the ground side of the relay slot on the fuse box. but ure saying that even though i get ground that it might not be a good ground?
Correct. Especially if you drive in the salt belt.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
I'd check battery, cables, alternator and fuses as suggested.

However, if none of that bears fruit, here's a possible relatively easy and inexpensive fix that might be worth trying down the line, if you don't even have fuel pressure.

It's just re-soldering a bad solder on your main relay PCB, and the only real challenge is just knowing about it and finding it.

Just throwing it out there, FWIW.

BTW, speaking of throwing, is it throwing any codes?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello everyone, so, i was driving my grandkids from a store. it was rather chill outside at 30F. so i started my 2012 pilot 3.5 liter, warmed it up for 2 minutes then started to drive off a STORE. then 3 minutes into driving, the car suddenly just died. towed it to my house. and here's what is going on:
  • car wont even crank, instead, it would send a rattling noise right behind a fuse box that is right across my left knee on the passenger side
  • also found that under the hood by passenger side fuse box, there's this other really that is also rattling but stops when i pull it out. according to further research online, this relay is numbered R11, which i think is PGM-FI main relay no. 1. i could not find any other really but some forum say's there's one under the steering wheel but can't find it.
  • also checked many U tube video and some do confirm that it is PGM MAIN relay, but again, not sure where it is on my pilot.
-I even enlisted the help from the mechanics at "JUST ANSWER.COM" and they were no help. because they told me it's the starter so i busted some knuckles and skin just trying to remove the starter and testing it and it came out ok. anyone, please give me any tips on what to check AS this is my only way of transportation. Thanks in advance
How many miles are on the vehicle? Has the timing belt been replaced? If so, when?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts

However, if none of that bears fruit, here's a possible relatively easy and inexpensive fix that might be worth trying down the line, if you don't even have fuel pressure.

It's just re-soldering a bad solder on your main relay PCB, and the only real challenge is just knowing about it and finding it.

Wow, I just read thru that thread. So much knowledge on this site, from people like you and others.
I hope OP can get it fixed. I got nothing to add.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,836 Posts

I didn’t know this existed on our vehicles.
Note that the soldering technique shown in the video could use some improvement. You want to heat up both the PCB (near component lead) and the component lead with the soldering iron, otherwise that blob he created will eventually crack and end up failing just as the original solder joint failed.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,836 Posts
OP, on my 2005 Pilot there is a cluster of four relays under the steering column. Not sure if it’s the same as your model. To see them the back of your head should be near the gas pedal as you’re looking up behind the steering column. Follow the wire harnesses to the relay cluster. Access under there isn’t very good. I had to use pliers and GENTLY grasp the relays and pull them out.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How many miles are on the vehicle? Has the timing belt been replaced? If so, when?
@plplplpl - you are right about finding it, no one were able to tell me where the PGM-FI main relay no. 1 at this honda pilot. here is what my under the steering wheel look like

Attachments

1 - 20 of 91 Posts