Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 Pilot is a flaming hot mess of dysfunction right now. Here's how it all started... the CD changer doesn't function... at all... never did since I bought my gently used Pilot about 2 years ago. Yes, I can press, press & hold/release the red & all the green buttons I want all while pressing the eject button at the same time or not at all and it does NOTHING. Now, here's where it gets strange, for about the past 4-6 weeks or so, the CD changer started showing signs of life... buttons randomly lighting up like a slot machine along with sporadic noises like clicking sounds mixed with a low hum. It's like it's really trying to do something or tell me something. Amazingly, it has had these little outbursts or "death rattles" one might say, even when the car is not running...I'm pretty sure that a couple times the key wasn't even in the ignition!?!? Ok, fast forward to the last 2 weeks... At least 4 times I've come out to a completely dead battery that had no obvious cause... no lights left on, etc. So, I've have had to get a 4 jumpstarts to get where I was going. So, I've had my new'ish (1.5 year old) battery, the alternator and the starter all tested at 2 different local auto parts stores. Both times all 3 passed with flying colors. I'm no machanic but it seems to me there is a pull or drain on the battery coming from somewhere in the car right? But the only thing I can come up with is that it's somehow related to those random burst of life from my otherwise comatose CD changer that I mentioned. Ok, here's where it gets ugly. After the first 3 jumpstarts my radio required the code but once I put it in the radio worked fine but after this last jumpstart today... the radio bit the BIG ONE!!! It's dead... it doesn't even say "code" now... it just says "error" along with the red anti-theft light flashing slowly. I've tried pressing all the knobs and buttons... I've turned the car off waited a few minutes and started it up in hopes it would reset itself and at least ask for the code like it use to but NOTHING... now I have no music!?!?! Can anybody help me figure out this little Scooby Doo mystery please??? I just want my little reliable Pilot with its dysfunctional CD changer, it's big strong battery & it's kickin good jams back... that's all o_O

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't forget, radio DOES get a hot wire straight from battery. I used to have a 2007 Pilot EX, which is similar to 2005, and I think you could eject the CD without a key in the ignition. So, if something is stuck in there, and its CD-handling motor keeps cycling, it might run the battery down. Most likely whatever was gumming up the mechanism has broken and maybe shorted something. Either way, try pulling fuse 9 (20A) in the under-hood main box (see https://www.autogenius.info/honda-pilot-2005-fuse-box-diagram/) And see if it at least solves your battery-dying issues.
If it does, you are looking at getting a new head unit for the car. I dunno what is your budget and media needs, but if you go to Crutchfield, and punch in Pilot 2005, there is a TON of options. Might get something nice with a touch screen, bluetooth, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto etc.

Now about them 'kickin good jams...' Pilot speakers are rather wimpy, so it backs them with a 12" subwoofer in the rear. This subwoofer is also nothing special, but it does help. And the amp for this sub is in the factory radio. Which means if you want any kind of decent bass from an aftermarket radio, you will need to install a separate amplifier, which can be a doozy of a job.

I replaced the CD changer in my '07 Pilot with a touchscreen Pioneer receiver, added a rearview camera, replaced the stock sub with a 12" shallow mount Pioneer sub, powered by a Boss monoblock. Also swapped in Pioneer 2-way speakers into all 4 doors. Did all the installation myself.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
Looking at photos on eBay it appears the CD changer is a separate module from the radio. If you were to pull the fuse for the radio you’ll lose your tunes. But perhaps you could disconnect the wire harness at the back of the CD changer and still be able to use the radio. This assumes the CD changer is causing the parasitic power draw on the battery.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It would still first pull the radio fuse and see if that is what's killing the battery. If it is then yeah, try unplugging just the CD changer module.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at photos on eBay it appears the CD changer is a separate module from the radio. If you were to pull the fuse for the radio you’ll lose your tunes. But perhaps you could disconnect the wire harness at the back of the CD changer and still be able to use the radio. This assumes the CD changer is causing the parasitic power draw on the battery.
Good advice... thanks. Can you tell me how I can reset the radio so that it gives me the option of entering the code? Since the last jump start the the radio just says error and won't give me the option of
It would still first pull the radio fuse and see if that is what's killing the battery. If it is then yeah, try unplugging just the CD changer module.
Any ideas as far as how to clear the error message on the radio and getting the code prompt instead?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
You might try pulling the fuse that Scorpio mentioned, waiting 30 seconds, then put it back in. The radio does get constant power from the battery, so it never gets a hard reset during normal operation. Hopefully that will resolve the code portion of the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts