Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the DVD RES in mine and everyone loves it.The screen could be bigger but it is clear and bright and the sound is better than our home TV's have.Also people in other cars always want to see whats on.Was told a Playstation can be hooked up and used.
Know the jacks can accomodate the PS2 plugs but my PS2 only has the standard electric plug and not a cigarette lighter-type plug.Can anyone recommend a device or convertor to be able to plug in a standard electric plug.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wally world and Target sell DC/AC inverters. Wal Mart sells a 175w model for about $35. The PS 2 is rated at 79W, and I'm not an engineer, but I believe that you want to get at least 20% more, or appx 100W, and I believe in overkill, so the 175W model wouldn't be overstressed. That would also get you more uses for the inverter if you wanted to use it for other purposes. They also sell even higher wattage units for not a great deal of money, well under $100 if you want to use the inverter for other purposes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you are a Sam's Club member, they usually have a 400watt model for $28. We took a trip last year and rigged a laptop in my wife's Sienna. I went to get one from Sam's and they were out so I had to stop at WalMart and pay $49 for their 300watt model. Oh well, for a quiet 10 hour trip it would have been a bargain at 10 times the price!

Chris

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
PS ... They're also open 24/7 ... So you can call them anytime, just to ask questions.

PrG

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you end up trying a power inverter, make sure you can return it if it won't work. I tried a 300 watt one ($36 from BJ's Wholesale) and it did not work with our PS one, it worked fine with lots of other things but the PS one power light would just blink and that's all. I think it had to do with the fact that it was converting 12v DC to 120v AC and then the PS one AC adapter converted it back to 7.5v DC - it just couldn't handle all that converting. We ended up finding a car adapter made for PS one that replaces the original AC adapter for $15 at an EB mall store, Sony also makes one for PS one (and I am sure for PS2 also) but that was $40. Try gamestop.com or ebgames.com if the invertor won't work.

·
Registered
919 Posts
ShorePilot said:
We ended up finding a car adapter made for PS one that replaces the original AC adapter for $15 at an EB mall store, Sony also makes one for PS one (and I am sure for PS2 also) but that was $40. Try gamestop.com or ebgames.com if the invertor won't work.
Actually, this probably won't work. I'm assuming you have one of the newer versions of the original Playstations (small, white, and actually labelled PSOne). These were made to be portable units and can handle a DC input. The PS/2 should only work with AC in, thus you would still need an inverter for the PS/2. I think this is correct, but I'm not 100% certain.

Chris

·
Registered
52 Posts
xyzzy

xyzzy is correct, the PS2 has a different design. You plug it directly into the wall, and the DC power supply (black box) that you see on the PS1 is actually inside the PS2. It makes for less clutter, and it's much cheaper to replace the power cord, but it does make it harder to take advantage of automotive power sources. Also as these devices get more complicated, the power requirements get bigger and bigger, so if the PS2 used the external DC power supply, it would probably be pretty big and bulky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info

Thanks to all for their advice.This is the first car I've owned where everyone wants to sit in the back seats always leaving me alone up front feeling like a chauffeur.Actually I also would like to sit in back to see whats on the screen and not just hear it.
Enjoy the rest of the summer!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Where does the PS2 fit? I don't own either a PS2 or a Pilot yet but am planning on getting both. I'd like to hook the PS2 to an overhead screen to play DVDs and games but not sure where it would physically sit so that it is secure. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
59 Posts
acheslow said:
Where does the PS2 fit? I don't own either a PS2 or a Pilot yet but am planning on getting both. I'd like to hook the PS2 to an overhead screen to play DVDs and games but not sure where it would physically sit so that it is secure. Any ideas?
Anyone? I just got the PS2, and am loving it. Just need the Pilot now :p. Still trying to figure out where the best play to install the PS2 will be so that we'll be able to easily change discs and there won't be lots of cables running all over the place.

Thanks,
Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts