Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Pilot EX 4WD, 118k on the clock. Bought in 2015 with 28K. Just got my first chance to drive it in snowy conditions, as it is primarily my wife's grocery getter. Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires about half to three-quarters worn. All I can say is wow.

I preface this with having spent two winters in Northern Virginia in a Datsun rear-wheel-drive hatchback and seven winters in the thumb of Michigan with a 2000 Blazer 4WD and two-wheel drive short-bed GMC. I've driven in the snow many times before.

West central Arkansas gets six inches of fresh powder today, plows are not working much, mainly interstates get a bit cleared and that's it. Secondary roads and others are mostly forgotten; for the most part, you're on your own.

Knuckleheads get out anyway before anything is plowed, and start compacting the snow on the roads which eventually re-freezes to a top layer of glazed ice; hard to see in the daytime, but easy to see in the reflections of light as the sun lowers and it gets dark. I had to go 20 miles or so to town for an errand in these conditions.

Pilot did not skip a beat, nor spin a tire, under gentle acceleration.

However, when I got home to my neighborhood, same road conditions, I thought "let's play". While turning right into to the subdivision (unplowed streets), I kicked the accelerator a bit much to spin the tires, which they did; either VSA or traction control stepped in and limited front wheel spin and directed power to the back wheels for traction. I rounded the corner without skidding/sliding, silly Pilot kept me pointed in a straight line.

Two more corners before I got to the driveway; same result. You really HAVE to try to get this thing sideways in slick conditions.

Wouldn't trade my Pilot for anything, I'm that impressed in the snow.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
I have a 2WD '08 and we got a lot of sleet/freezing rain which accumulated on the road. I was concerned because everybody on here says the 4WD Pilots are 10x better. While I don't disagree with that (and regret not purchasing a 4WD) I was extremely impressed with its performance. I felt extremely confident driving on the ice and slush so I can only imagine what it must be like with 4WD!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I have a 2WD '08 and we got a lot of sleet/freezing rain which accumulated on the road. I was concerned because everybody on here says the 4WD Pilots are 10x better. While I don't disagree with that (and regret not purchasing a 4WD) I was extremely impressed with its performance. I felt extremely confident driving on the ice and slush so I can only imagine what it must be like with 4WD!
Yo Jack, He, He, now I know Jack! LOL

I/we own both versions of pilots now.
We got another 3-6" here since last night
I once again took out 08 FWD (Front) to work- 30 miles. It performs well, and definitely gets going quicker from a stop on a slight hill than my V8 RWD only Dodge truck did! Way less 'pucker' factor now.

And yes, our 4WD Pilot is better still in this stuff, but the FWD also performs well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have Blizzaks on my 05, and I can't get over how good this Pilot is in the snow. I ski and am frequently chasing storms, so I've put this thing through the ringer, and it rips. I've pulled at least 2 larger vehicles out of snow banks on Loveland Pass, Colorado. They were impressed that the Pilot got the job done.

--Chris N.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts