Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Can I ask a couple of questions to 2019 Pilot owners as I may get one? Planning on buying the Touring 2WD Model.
1. Does Apple CarPlay work only if your phone is plugged in? Does the cable charge your iPhone constantly? I only charge my phone at night and don’t have a desire to keep it charging while I’m driving.
2. The new LED Headlights, are they as nice and bright as Infinity or Lexus or Acura lights in your opinion?
3. Is it better to buy black interior for rough and tough wear? Future kids, loading things up and all.
4. How does hotspot actually work? Is there any way to stream Netflix and stuff in the Blu-ray player monitor?
Thank you so much.
I’ve been a Toyota fan but Highlander has way less room than Pilot and Honda in general looks and feels better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,
Can I ask a couple of questions to 2019 Pilot owners as I may get one? Planning on buying the Touring 2WD Model.
1. Does Apple CarPlay work only if your phone is plugged in? Does the cable charge your iPhone constantly? I only charge my phone at night and don’t have a desire to keep it charging while I’m driving.
2. The new LED Headlights, are they as nice and bright as Infinity or Lexus or Acura lights in your opinion?
3. Is it better to buy black interior for rough and tough wear? Future kids, loading things up and all.
4. How does hotspot actually work? Is there any way to stream Netflix and stuff in the Blu-ray player monitor?
Thank you so much.
I’ve been a Toyota fan but Highlander has way less room than Pilot and Honda in general looks and feels better.
I might be one of a few, or one of many... I would not suggest buying a 2019 Pilot Touring right now. I was one of the unfortunate ones that bought one without knowing that it had inherent electrical issues. My problems started two weeks into ownership. I previously had a Corolla for ten years; but, with two babies and a husband that is 6’4”, the Corolla couldn’t fit us all and our gear. I sprung for the 19 Pilot Touring, because, because like you, I liked all of the features and the space. I also felt like the Highlander couldn’t compete with the Pilot.

Yesterday, I traded my Pilot for a 2019 Highlander, and wish I had just bought the Highlander from the start. I ate a $7,000 loss, because I couldn’t go back and forth to the dealership, when there is no known fix for the problems people are experiencing. I also didn’t want to keep fighting Honda, and having them tell me that issues my Pilot had were not safety issues. My infotainment system would constantly cycle off and on, or claim “network connection lost”, causing me the loss of use of my back up camera. Additionally, there was a constant crackling sound that came out of the speakers. Worst of all, I was so often without a functional instrument panel, I would hardly ever know how fast the vehicle was moving. I had the car in for service more often than I drove it. Imagine a brand new car you just dropped $42,000, and the dealership is telling you they need to strip the interior and replace the wiring harness.

I would at least wait until Honda has worked through these issues; and, the related class action lawsuit is resolved. I would also encourage you to search this forum, and the internet in general, to see how many people have had experiences like mine. And, worst of all, if you do find yourself in a situation like mine, Honda won’t do anything to help. Search for “2019 Honda Pilot Infotainment Issues.” Honda says it’s a “software issue they can’t resolve.” If that were the case, why replace parts?

My opinion would be to wait.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yikes, I was also thinking of buying a new 2019 EXL, I can tell you the sales dept literally doesn't know about the issues. I asked about the infotainment issue and I could tell the guy was clueless, not just faking it. I don't get why Honda can't resolve something like this, it's a basic computer, not brand new technology. I really like the drivers seat comfort in the Pilot more than the Highlander. The seat sits taller which provides more leg drop.

On the Highlander I'm not totally sure Toyota has fixed their 8 speed tranny hesitation problems, Google that topic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,
Thank you so much.

1. Yes, the phone has to be plugged into the USB jack. It constantly charges.

2. Not as bright as Acura but not bad. Good intelligent high beam system that seems pretty responsive
3. I purchased seat covers over my rear seats for kids/dogs.
4. I've yet to try AT&T hotspot.

I think the infotainment system issues are not as prevalent as people make it out to be. I can only imagine how frustrating that can feel though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2019 Elite, so I can answer some of your questions:

Headlights are wonderful.

Don't buy the black interior with kids, it shows EVERYTHING. My wife has the gray interior in her Odyssey, which stays looking much cleaner, and it is cooler.

You could plug in a Fire Stick into the HDMI port, but you are paying for data, so it will be very expensive.

All that being said, I can't recommend buying a Pilot. Electrical glitches with the radio system are very common. The auto idle stop on the Touring and Elite is MADDENING, you will hate it every day that you forget to turn it off. The transmission, while very smooth when I bought my Pilot, is now starting to have some rough/clumsy shifts at 25k. Look at the Kia Telluride, or wait a few months for the new Highlander... I wish I had.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Purchased a EX-L in March, now have just over 5k miles on it, no operational problems. I do use Android Auto and have found it works well for me, I rely on it above my Garmin GPS. I can comfortably drive 7-8 hours without fatigue, I'm over 6' and have plenty of room and plenty of seat adjustment that allows for comfort and support. So far, so good. Any new vehicle that has any level of electronic sophistication will have issues...I have a coworker that has a new Ford that has display issues...rarely do you see people posting on their vehicles when they don't have issues...grain of salt needed here?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Have a 2019 White Touring AWD. The transmission has been flawless and don't often even notice the shifts. Never seems to hunt for the correct gear. Had taken a 3900 mile driving vacation in March/April and the car was very comfortable and the armrest wasn't near as bad as I though it was going to be. I only had 400 miles on the car when we left on vacation so I was able to quickly learn most of the features by trial and error.

I actually like the auto idle stop and don't mind it at all when it works. Mine doesn't work most of the time because I think the battery isn't fully charged now after getting home from vacation. That is one of the conditions which will prevent it from working. While on vacation it worked most of the time, except as I've noted in another post if the fan was on!

The paint is great, no missed spots, no under laying dirt or dust or "fish eyes", etc. This is the white which earlier year owners had noticed some defects. Maybe a corrected item for the 2019 models.

Love the automatic high beam headlight function and have never had anyone flash their brights at me when leaving it in that mode. Nice clean light output

I did have a problem with getting signed up for the free 3 month/3 GIG hot spot trial. For some reason my car had been entered into the AT&T system (they provide the hot spot) by Honda as being in "demo" mode. The registered owner according to AT&T showed Honda of America, Honda of America said it was the dealer who the car had been delivered to that had a "demo" mode noted.

Took the Honda tech representative at Honda of America over 5 weeks to get it sorted out and I am finally signed up for the free trial as of Thursday of last week. I haven't had time yet to try it though, so can't comment on how well it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am a pilot elite 2019 owner. i wouldn't recommend you buying pilot until they fix the infotainment software issue (esp if CarPlay is the reason you want one). From what i read, it freezes up mostly when using Apple CarPlay. The issue started showing up on my car yesterday for me. (and i pull the fuse to hardreset the radio....on a 58K new car....pathetic..)

Display Audio constantly on in 2019 Pilot

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring FWD and haven’t experienced any issues.

I do have to occasionally unplug and reconnect my USB-C hub with HDMI into my iPad Pro when I first start the car to stream video into the rear entertainment system. This may be an issue with my USB-C hub, but I’m not sure and it otherwise works great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 19 EXL Nav/Res with 15k miles on it now, not a single problem. Everything works fine, very comfortable ride. Tweak the radio to your liking and it sounds great IMO. I have trailer usualy hauling 3 to 4 thousand pounds once or twice a month dont even know its there. I am a Waze user for GPS, works flawlessly with my Samsung S9+. Use the third row a couple of times a month, very comfortable for both children and adults.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suggest you check out Subaru accent and kia telluride before buying pilot. Pilot/highlander are outdated now.
New member but long time Pilot owner here. I'm leaning toward buying a Pilot Elite but will admit that the infotainment and transmission complaints are very concerning. Does anyone here have significant mileage on their 2019 Elites without any issues? The Ascent is a strong contender but I do like the V6 and ride quality in the Pilot more....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hold off. I’m a 2019 Pilot Touring 2WD owner here since Aug. 30. Have over 14,000 miles on it now. So far, I’ve had my infotainment system replaced, it’s leaked oil twice after oil changes at two Honda dealerships (apparently, there’s a new pan underneath and the guys get lazy and don’t take it out to change the oil, hence the leak of excess.) Now, I’m dealing with intermittent transmission issues that three visits to two dealers haven’t fixed. This is my first and LAST Honda. Ever.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have had ours for about a week now no issues. My wife is in love with it. 2wd. As for CarPlay has to be plugged in and it does charge. However Bluetooth is good. The only thing car play does better is Waze imo. As for rear entertainment there is a 110v outlet and an hdmi port. We purchased an android entertainment device and a 250g external ssd drive and installed vlc player and copied over 50 movies from our library onto it. Hot spot seems to be att only and yeah you can stream if you can afford it. If you get the android thing you can use it to download Netflix offline as you drive from home WiFi ?. Hoping not to have issue love it way more than out 2018 van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suggest you check out Subaru accent and kia telluride before buying pilot. Pilot/highlander are outdated now.
Google the Subaru Ascent and you will find lots of fun issues with them too. I have a 2019 Elite and haven't had any issues (purchased 01/08/19 but only have 4500 miles).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Google the Subaru Ascent and you will find lots of fun issues with them too. I have a 2019 Elite and haven't had any issues (purchased 01/08/19 but only have 4500 miles).
Not saying other brands are perfect. I assume some issues will arise with both ascent and telluride since they are brand new to the market. I just think both cars are worth checking out before pulling the trigger on pilot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Always interesting when one person has issues and concludes that his or her issues speaks for the entire model. The fact you had your infotainment system replaced or your transmission failed after two weeks on the road or your windshield cracked does not mean something is wrong with every other vehicle in the class. One owner may have no issues at all and another may have a myriad of issues. I am on several truck forums like this one and there is no brand that does not have issues. The Kia Telluride that is often mentioned is no exemption - in fact, some of the issues I have read on their forum are very embarrassing to report. I have a 2019 Elite and haven't had any issues which I purchased September, 2018 and close to 7,000 miles on it. Doesn't mean it is guaranteed I won't have issues. Several owners may even complain about the same issue but oftentimes, many others who don't have the same issues never come to report they have no issues. It is just the irony of life. Bad news gets the most press.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a 2019 Elite, so I can answer some of your questions:

"All that being said, I can't recommend buying a Pilot. Electrical glitches with the radio system are very common. The auto idle stop on the Touring and Elite is MADDENING, you will hate it every day that you forget to turn it off. The transmission, while very smooth when I bought my Pilot, is now starting to have some rough/clumsy shifts at 25k."

That is not just true for everyone. I love the auto idle stop and in fact, unhappy when it does not kick in. I love the fact I am not burning gas when I am at a stop. On my 2019 Elite, it is probably the fraction of a second for it to restart when it is time to move - almost completely seamless! I have had no electrical glitches on my radio system. I am not yet at 10,000 or 25K but have no transmission issues so far at almost 7K.

·
Registered
294 Posts
1. Yes, the phone has to be plugged into the USB jack. It constantly charges.

2. Not as bright as Acura but not bad. Good intelligent high beam system that seems pretty responsive
3. I purchased seat covers over my rear seats for kids/dogs.
4. I've yet to try AT&T hotspot.

I think the infotainment system issues are not as prevalent as people make it out to be. I can only imagine how frustrating that can feel though.
Probably answers most of your questions. Will just add a few more lines. I have a white exterior and black interior and love my selection. It isn't my first. I have the same color combination in my Toyota. I did not buy the Highlander for a couple of reasons. The 3rd row is way too cramped - I couldn't fit in there. If it's a 3rd row, it had better be spacious enough to fit an adult or else, I'll settle for 2 rows. I did not like the combination of halogen and led even in their top trim. They have fixed that for 2020 but that would be out before the end of this year. I had waited 2 years for the Pilot so it was the best of the two choices when I got my Pilot. If Honda does not made some decent changes to the Pilot for 2020, the Highlander 2020 has an edge over the Pilot. Lastly, the Entune infotainment system on Toyota is boring and the Highlander 2019 does not have Apple CarPlay. The 2020 that will hit dealerships towards the end of the year has Apple CarPlay finally.

I got a seat cover for where I have a car seat and the leather seats are durable but plain. I love the exterior lights on the Elite 2019 and compares favorably with the jewel led lights on the Acura. I do not use the Hotspot - I don't think it's a good use of my money. There's so much integrated in the truck to entertain occupants in the vehicle. They can watch Netflix when we are in the living room or watch downloaded movies on the tablets during long trips if they get bored with what's already available in the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts