Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Have you or will you change out the stock tires before their normal life?

• I plan to keep my stock tires until they wear out

Votes: 56 69.1%
  • I have already or will replace the stock tires before they wear out

Votes: 25 30.9%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how many Piloteers have already or plan on changing out their stock tires before the end of their normal life cycle. I know there were originally a few of us who did or were planning on doing this but note that, of late, reports seem to be that the stock tires are handling early snow and ice well.

I originally planned to change mine out because I thought I would get a quieter ride, but somewhere remember reading that different tires did not seem to make a difference. I now plan on using mine up before changing them.

If you changed yours or plan to, please tell us why and whether you are pleased with the results.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Was really paranoid and wanted to change them out for CT's when this all started, but since I don't have to worry about snow, etc., I'm going to get my bike and rack instead! :2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Still Holding Out

The recent Tire Rack sale was tempting but I'm still holding out. Just can't get over that hurdle of changing out new tires for new tires. Integrity's did OK in first snowfall on way home tonight [I tried but could not get wheels to spin] but not enough snow had fallen for true test. Maybe by tomorrow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
keeping the goodyears

While I know the Michellin CT's are probably a better tire, I'll hang on to the GY's. They really don't seem to be as loud as I remember them being on the Pilot I test drove. And unless the traction is really bad when it gets snowy and slick, I think I'll be content.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I struggled with the same question, however after driving in some serious rain and slamming a couple of panic stops on I35 the Goodyears seem to have "earned the right to stay" at least for a while, besides there are more exciting things to spend $$ on then tires.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Goodyears?

My Pilot came with Bridgestones. Was this a running change? Not normally my favorite brand, but I'm impressed with them so far. No reason to change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No Way

Seems to me changing from perfectly good tires is financially braindead. However, I do think the 70s are way to skinny and a 65 series tire would look much better -- after the Goodyears are done.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've driven the Goodyears in snow, slush, and also in freezing rain. I wasn't impressed with how quickly the ABS activated when driving the Pilot under these circumstances. My front wheel drive van with Michelin MX4's behaves much better in similar driving conditions. Anyway I'm switching out the Goodyears for the Cross Terrains within the next day or so and I'll let you know how they compare to the goodyears in bad weather. I think I'll keep one of the Goodyears for a full sized spare. Oh just wait I think I'm getting a pain in my head ............
I also put a set of Michelin Arctic Alpines ( 215/65/16 ) on my van this week.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had full intentions of changing out the tires, but decided to run them for a year since their value is about nil anyway. When I do trade it will be for the Michelins.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: No Way

idahopilot said:
Seems to me changing from perfectly good tires is financially braindead. However, I do think the 70s are way to skinny and a 65 series tire would look much better -- after the Goodyears are done.
The Michelins are not just a little better, they are much better tires. With a quick trade in the upgrade the cost is a few hundred more. After spending over $32K on a car with strong safety features, why not remove a weak link for 7/10ths of 1% in more cost?? It may seem to you like it's financially braindead, but to me it seems like it's "penny wise" but safety foolish not to upgrade if you drive in snow or rain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Seems to me by calling the many people on the board that decided to upgrade the tires "braindead" is rather insulting.

Its a matter of opinion regarding the the Integrities as being perfectly good tires. Some feel they are, others do not.

Personally, I took advantage of the Tirerack sale and purchased the Cross Terrains for $72 each. I then found a tire dealership willing to take the Goodyears off my hands and mount and balance the Michelins.

So am I braindead? I hope not.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Max tire size on stock rims

We're considering a swap of the OEM tires once our Pilot comes in.

For those of you who have swapped the OEM tires for the Michelin Cross Country's, what's the maximum tire size that you've successfully mounted onto the stock rims on an EX?

We'd like to increase the footprint if possible up to 255 or so (or more?). Has this been done? any tire rubbing on turns or over bumps?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just noticed a mis-print in my post.

Looking to mount some larger Cross Terrains not Cross Country's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Max tire size on stock rims

I just replaced the Goodyears with the same size of Michelin Cross Terrains. It made a big difference in the ride and handling of the Pilot. The vehicle feels more "buttoned down" now. The Michelins' contact patch appears to be wider that that of the Goodyears so the same size of Michelin actually looks wider on the Pilot than the Goodyears did.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks for the input Scoobs.

I've been perusing the TireRack site and have found that if I want to step up to another size, the next step up in an SR rated tire is 255/70/16 which will add 1.1" to the total diameter. There is a 255/65/16, but it is HR speed rated.

I think that I'll go with the stock sized Cross Terrains. TireRack is still selling them at a very low price. $85

Rob

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow !

Got my 1st "real snow" test drive this morning with 5" of snow coming down like all get-go on untreated Western PA hills. Even with the Integritys, the VTM was outstanding - I did/could not get the front tires to spin either uphill on the road or in fast accelerations in the uncleared parking lot at work.

Downhill, I did get noticeably quicker ABS action than I recall with my 97 CRV with Goodrich Touring TAs [again, not a super aggressive tire], yet never felt I was losing control at reasonable, albeit reduced, speed for the conditions. Suspect this is where the CT's might really shine compared to the Integrity's.

Found out one thing the Pilot won't do, however, is move other traffic out of the way. Suspect this would be same with either tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changing Tires?

Mine came with Bridgestones. They seem ok. I have had this brand on my wee Miata MX5 and they've been fine.
I'd druther have Michelins; but will wear these out first.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I switched out the Goodyears for the Michelins a week after I took possession of the Pilot -- I have been extremely happy with the Cross Terrains, but then, I have always been partial to Michelins. I recall the ride being a little quieter and the steering a little firmer after the switchover.

Would I do it again? :4:

·
Registered
57 Posts
We've had some heavy snow here and I thought I'd have to change to snow tires from the stock Bridgestones. Well the Bridgestones on the Pilot did so well in the snow, I decided to keep the stock tires on all the time. BTW, I commute 1000 kilometers per week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts