Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some pitting on the rims on my SS that looks like tar at first, but it seems ingrained in the finish of the rim. Its not brake dust, and it doesn't wash off:mad:

It's like someone sandblasted it. I have baby'd it so far, and only applied a bit of armor-all to the tire. I did use a chrome rim cleaner on the rim and it didnt help, has anyone else noticed anything like that?

anyone have any ideas? besides buying new rims!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The rims are painted

The rims are painted, so treat them like any other painted surface.
Chrome Polish is not the right cleaner.
Try bug and tar remover, then a cleaning/polishing wax. If that does not remove the problem, it is either in or under the paint.
Take it to the dealer to have it addressed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was cleaning off my rims this past weekend with a mild car wash soap ( water bucket and sponge) and noticed a small "tar like" spot on the left rear rim also....It is a very small spot (1/8") but I also was unable to remove with a shot of alloy rim cleaner....Based on the response above I just tried a bug and tar remover with no luck either.....I will have the dealer address at the first oil change visit if I cannot remove the spot by then...---waxpilot

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know about the pitting but I had a pair of spots, one on each of the passenger rims. There were like a black paint spot. I try cleaning it to no avail. When I took it back to the dealer they were able to remove it. The rims look great now. (Probably another one of those things that should have been caught at delivery.)

·
Registered
236 Posts
bad rims

Mine look fine, but I had all four rims on my Integra GS-R start corroding after two winters (must not like salt).

I addressed it with my Acura dealer and they replaced all four rims no questions asked.

I'm not sure if Honda will be that accomodating, but that should be a warranty item if it cannot be removed.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Corroded Rims on Acura TL

Hey all,

A friend of mine who owns an 99 Acura TL has had a recent problem with a corroding tim.

He bought a new set of tires and one of them keeps losing air. The tire in question was replaced already and the problem persists. The tire shop at BJs (where he purchased the tires) have determined that the rim is corroding therefore a decent seal cannot be maintained.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

I guess the question is, since this is well beyond a warranty issue, can the rim be repaired (i.e., refinished on the inside of the rim) to alleviate this problem or does it need to be replaced?

Tim, if it needs to be replaced can you still get a 99 rim and how much with shipping to Brooklyn? Model #: ALY71692U35

Thanks to all in advance for any insight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts