Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told today that my 2014 Honda Pilot needs new pistons.
I'm in disbelief! Five thousand with everything.
I have 130k miles...mostly highway.
Anyone else have this issue at this mileage?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Who told you that?

There are known issues with VCM and rings that are related. Honda has a warranty program that covers most of those. Worth checking out.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issue. This kind of issue is generally not a mileage issue. Did the mechanic that told you this tell you why you needed new pistons? Much of it depends on how the car was taken care of/serviced. I believe that you bought this vehicle about a year and a half ago. When you bought it, did you have a car fax or any kind of service record from the previous owner(s)? Did you check the Honda Owners site for any service record? Did you have a trusted mechanic look over the vehicle to see what if any issues or pending issues that might need to be addressed then or in the future. Have you been keeping up on the recommended service?

As for the price quoted, without knowing exactly what is to be done/replaced it is hard to tell if that is a reasonable price or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who told you that?

There are known issues with VCM and rings that are related. Honda has a warranty program that covers most of those. Worth checking out.
I took it to the dealership bc I had several lights come on. The car runs fine, so I thought it was a sensor. I was in shock that 3 of the piston rings and other engine things needed to be replaced!

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
I wouldn't do that just yet.
I'd do a long piston soak to try to free the rings.
Then I'd disable the VCM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear about the issue. This kind of issue is generally not a mileage issue. Did the mechanic that told you this tell you why you needed new pistons? Much of it depends on how the car was taken care of/serviced. I believe that you bought this vehicle about a year and a half ago. When you bought it, did you have a car fax or any kind of service record from the previous owner(s)? Did you check the Honda Owners site for any service record? Did you have a trusted mechanic look over the vehicle to see what if any issues or pending issues that might need to be addressed then or in the future. Have you been keeping up on the recommended service?

As for the price quoted, without knowing exactly what is to be done/replaced it is hard to tell if that is a reasonable price or not.
I bought this car in 2017. It was well cared for...a real beauty with every horn and whistle you can want. I'm fastidious about maintenance and keep meticulous records. I always go to the dealership for anything I need done. I've gone by the book as suggested by the dealership.
I am just floored. I don't want another car...I love this car. But, 5K? zowee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought this car in 2017. It was well cared for...a real beauty with every horn and whistle you can want. I'm fastidious about maintenance and keep meticulous records. I always go to the dealership for anything I need done. I've gone by the book as suggested by the dealership.
I am just floored. I don't want another car...I love this car. But, 5K? zowee
Piston Rings Replace labor $2940, part $900. Spark Plugs labor $126, parts $220. Valves w/Gaskets adjust labor $588, parts $340.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Piston Rings Replace labor $2940, part $900. Spark Plugs labor $126, parts $220. Valves w/Gaskets adjust labor $588, parts $340.
The spark plugs shouldn't cost that much at all. I'm sure they'll already have to remove the spark plugs when they do piston rings, so labor should cost much less, if anything. Also not to mention that 6 spark plugs don't cost $220.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
If no engine light, my exact plan would be, while my S-VCM was on order..,
  1. Have a clean air filter.
  2. Intake hose clamps are tight. Seen this left loose by dealership before.
  3. Clean MAF with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner.
  4. Replace spark plugs using NGK Laser Iridiums
  5. Replace PCV valve.
  6. Use a Top Tier 87 octane fuel only.
  7. Install S-VCM
  8. Get on the Highway for some long high speed drives so those before mostly inactive cylinders can burn off the oil deposits.
  9. If I still felt there was a problem, I'd do a piston soak.

Reactions: bdozer1965
1 - 9 of 9 Posts