Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
My friend with a 2011 Pilot is having the piston ring recall done per the TSB. I'm curious if the dealer does the piston ring replacement. I can't believe a dealer has the tools and machines, let alone the tech expertise to do this. No offense intended towards any Honda techs. Surely they are enthusiasts and are capable of doing just about any job on the car, but I would expect the dealers sends out the block to a machine shop to resolve the piston ring issue and check the block/bores for any warping, scoring, etc.

It won’t be the oil change / rattle finding techs doing the job. The master techs are very capable of doing the job correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info everybody. I re-read your post from Huluobo and see that you did clarify this only affects 09-13 Pilots, thanks for the clarification!

Interesting that this implies Honda made some changes to engine parts at the 2014 model year, perhaps a new piston ring design. If anyone with a 2014-15 Pilot has had issues with the engine, pistons, cylinders, spark plug fouling etc. I'd be interested to hear about it but I'm assuming the 14-15's are not experiencing this issue.

Thanks again everyone for your input and info sharing.

Good evening everyone,

Well bad news for 2015 owners. My 2015 Touring today started shaking with engine light blinking, traction light, transmission light. After about 4 miles it went into limp mode as the dealer described it. No power and 15mph max. After inspection one of the deactivation cylinders went bad. Fried piston rings, bad coil and plugs. I have used nothing but synthetic oil every 3k miles. Currently sitting on 71k miles. I'm glad I opted for the 120k warranty. So I'm covered, and new loner car. Sucks though that my engine failed.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I take it that you didn't use the VCM mod for your Pilot ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No I didnt, never even looked into it. I will do it to my wife's 2014 v6 accord this weekend and the pilot upon getting it back from Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info everybody. I re-read your post from Huluobo and see that you did clarify this only affects 09-13 Pilots, thanks for the clarification!

Interesting that this implies Honda made some changes to engine parts at the 2014 model year, perhaps a new piston ring design. If anyone with a 2014-15 Pilot has had issues with the engine, pistons, cylinders, spark plug fouling etc. I'd be interested to hear about it but I'm assuming the 14-15's are not experiencing this issue.

Mine is a 2014 and is having the piston ring issues like the previous years. The dealer I took it to told me to contact Honda and see what they say since it’s an obvious flaw, and hopefully they’ll help cover the cost. Not counting on that though. 😕

·
Registered
17 Posts
I experienced something weird Tuesday morning, car was cold but it was vibrating, I'm thinking that I have an engine mount problem or pistons & rings. didn't want to bring it up in the forum, until after I install the vcmuzzler II. I love a smooth riding vehicle. so from what you guys are saying is that my '15 Pilot is covered? or what is it that I need to do to have this looked into? and will any Honda dealer do the work?

bdozer1965 said:
, I drive it in such a fashion so as not to go into VC mode for extended periods of time(i.e., I drive between 70&75 MPH) on the highway. So between oil changes at 5k, HondaCare 8/120, and NOT letting the old lady drive it much(reducing the possibility of going into VC mode), and every once in a while, really kicking it in the ass, I think I'll be ok.
3ringcircus:
Good luck with that one .I took it up to 80mph and vcm still on ,it rarely goes off unless flooring it.

I've tried this also, and Eco stays lit, no matter if I'm going 90

·
Registered
7 Posts
2015 Honda Pilot touring with 76000 miles.. P0302 code (number 2 cylinder misfire) and traction light and vibrating engine. Took it to a regular mechanic and they said the number 2 and 4 spark plugs were fouled. Clearly this issue has not been resolved from Honda. I am hoping Honda will pick up the tab on this as it is well documented that there is an engine design problem still!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the call from my dealer today - 2015. 3 rings - 4 plugs. And of course my VIN isn’t on the list. He’s calling on Friday to get it approved. Only 76000 on this one. 285k on my 06 before my SIL ran it into the ground.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Surprised they would cover one that isn't on the list... hopefully it works out for you! This is why I put the VCMuzzler on ours as soon as we bought it at 35k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is a 2014 and is having the piston ring issues like the previous years. The dealer I took it to told me to contact Honda and see what they say since it’s an obvious flaw, and hopefully they’ll help cover the cost. Not counting on that though. 😕
We are having a similar issue. And in need of contacting Honda and the service manager who were out of town during the holidays. Did you have any luck with contacting Honda directly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are having a similar issue. And in need of contacting Honda and the service manager who were out of town during the holidays. Did you have any luck with contacting Honda directly?
I called Honda Directly (1-800-999-1009) and did talk to them over the holidays. They have denied my claim to be reimbursed. My Honda 2015 Pilot had the P302 code and it was confirmed by the Honda mechanics that I had spark plug fouling etc. They ended up applying TSB 13-082 to my Honda to fix the problem (this was the directive that was a result of the class action lawsuit). I spent $3000 to have them apply this bulletin as my car was not covered by the class action lawsuit. Another independent mechanic in town told me that Honda still has not fixed the engines on the new cars (based on the amount of Hondas that have come on his shop for this problem). I also made sure the Honda dealership mechanics added a note in my repairs receipt saying they had to apply that bulletin to fix my car. If Honda doesnt step up to pay some of the cost, I will be filing a petition in the small claims court here in Dallas, TX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone - our 2012 Pilot was part of the recall and we did have the Piston rings replaced a few years ago. Over the weekend, with no warning whatsoever, we lost the engine. It sounded like a dropped a muffler, and then the car seized up and stopped. Upon inspection there was oil all over the road and smoke starting to come out from under the hood. We had the car towed to the dealer who told us that the car threw a rod out the bottom of the engine and blew a hole threw the oil pan. The car has 142,940 miles on it. We were told that the warranty expired on 10/1/2019 or at 120,000 miles (whichever was to happen first). We asked our trusted mechanic his opinion and he feel strongly that this engine rod issue was connected to the piston ring problem. There was no check engine light, the car was running fine. Anyone experience anything like this or have any advice for us about what our rights might be according to the recall and known engine problems for this vehicle? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
three

I have a 2014 pilot with for the 3rd time now having spark plug issues. This time spark plug has oil on it. Pistons broke which is why oil is on it. Shop doesn't work on pistons ship took out to Honda dealership where they tell me they can't diagnose because light isn't on. Of course they want $150 diagnoses fee.

Pilot has 90000 miles on it.
I've already replaced several coils and all sparkplugs.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a 2014 pilot with for the 3rd time now having spark plug issues. This time spark plug has oil on it. Pistons broke which is why oil is on it. Shop doesn't work on pistons ship took out to Honda dealership where they tell me they can't diagnose because light isn't on. Of course they want $150 diagnoses fee.

Pilot has 90000 miles on it.
I've already replaced several coils and all sparkplugs.
Bottom line: The TSB does not cover the 2014 model year. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10053786-6271.pdf
The class action lawsuit was settled late 2013/early 2014.

Questions:
Have you ever thrown the cylinder misfire codes/Check Engine Light? This is mandatory in order to receive any recourse if your vehicle WAS covered. No codes, no fix. (under the extended warranty/TSB)

Why do you say "pistons broke"? There is no known failure on pistons, it was an issue with piston rings.

Have you disabled VCM? While this cannot reverse ring damage, this does stop any further damage, reduces oil consumption, and often reduces fouling to the point that any future oil fouling is not significant.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I experienced something weird Tuesday morning, car was cold but it was vibrating, I'm thinking that I have an engine mount problem or pistons & rings. didn't want to bring it up in the forum, until after I install the vcmuzzler II. I love a smooth riding vehicle. so from what you guys are saying is that my '15 Pilot is covered? or what is it that I need to do to have this looked into? and will any Honda dealer do the work?

3ringcircus:
Good luck with that one .I took it up to 80mph and vcm still on ,it rarely goes off unless flooring it.

I've tried this also, and Eco stays lit, no matter if I'm going 90
That's an old quote from me, I've had the VC Muzzler on for at least 10K miles now and have even changed the spark plugs at 75K miles.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts