Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put the VC muzzler on my 2012 pilot with 40K on it about four months ago. I was not having any issues prior but I feel it's the best $60 bucks I've spent. The pilot has never ran so smooth or been so responsive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My understanding of at least part of the issue is that a percentage of cars in the affected years have piston rings installed with the ring gaps lined up too close together. That lets extra oil into the affected cylinders, which leads to detonation and piston and ring damage. Pistons and rods are paired with a specific "offset" based on front or rear bank, so it might be safe to assume that the assembly of rear piston and rod sets was somehow compromised.

Meanwhile, there's really no such thing as "coincidence" in mechanical stuff. Thinking of this as an assembly error, it's a stretch to believe that it would be so hit or miss. Of course we have no way to know what actual percentage of a particular production of engines are potential victims.

The dr's diagnosis would look at possible causes of oil entering the cylinders while VCM is active. The valves are likely sequenced so that there's low pressure ("vacuum") in the cylinder to reduce pumping losses and heat associated with compressing and relaxing the same charge of air in the cylinders. With that low pressure and the piston still moving, oil is drawn in but not burned off, at least until the cylinder comes out of VCM mode. Then fuel is added, and the oil causes detonation, which collapses the ring lands (the piston metal that supports the rings in grooves). The rings get pinched, allowing more crankcase oil to remain on the cylinder walls, more detonation, and finally combustion failure when the oil fouls the plug and prevents ignition.

The first telltales might be excessive oil consumption and lagging engine performance. The engine controller monitors spark plug firing current, so a fouled plug should quickly set the MIL (check-engine light). Worn rings will cause crankcase pressure to increase, not sure if or even how the engine controller would quantify that.
So could a bad fuel injector be caused by the ring problem, or does it only affect the spark plugs? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The injector is in the intake manifold right over the intake valve, so in theory it's not going to to be affected by excess oil in the chamber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there. Bought a honda certified 2012 pilot 3 months ago with only 36,000 kilometers(only 22,000miles),put on 4,000 k's and already they had to replace 3 rings and 4 spark plugs. Extremely disappointed. Yes it's under warranty but doesn't this mean more engine problems in the future? And the sales guy didn't say anything about an extended warranty and why. Ticked off!
Spoke to 2 mechanics(not honda) and they said it was stupid not to replace all 6. And how about the 4th plug that was fouled.Should I expect problems from that 4th cylinder? Incidently while they had the vehicle they also replaced timing belt tensioner and bushings as they were leaking, and yet they gave the vehicle an inspection(clean bill of health) 3 months prior before selling to me. Thanks alot honda, my first and probably my last. Also this vcm system sounds like garbage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
piston rings

I was reading on another thread that after the rings if you get misfire codes then they replace block or piston and then if happens again you get a new engine?Isthattrue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
, I drive it in such a fashion so as not to go into VC mode for extended periods of time(i.e., I drive between 70&75 MPH) on the highway. So between oil changes at 5k, HondaCare 8/120, and NOT letting the old lady drive it much(reducing the possibility of going into VC mode), and every once in a while, really kicking it in the ass, I think I'll be ok.
Good luck with that one .I took it up to 80mph and vcm still on ,it rarely goes off unless flooring it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have a pdf of the TSB so I can see the VIN range. Could not find it on line.
I have not seen a PDF of the TSB that has a VIN range. My wife had our Pilot at a dealer last month as a plug was fouled and they said it was not covered by the Class Action settlement. It was made in Oct. 2013 so they may have corrected the issue of the piston rings (my research says they were too thin, which allowed them to move due to the VCM vibrations and line up to allow oil leakage). Anyway, I installed the VCMMuzzler and have been running 5w-20 oil rather that 0w-20.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have not seen a PDF of the TSB that has a VIN range. My wife had our Pilot at a dealer last month as a plug was fouled and they said it was not covered by the Class Action settlement. It was made in Oct. 2013 so they may have corrected the issue of the piston rings (my research says they were too thin, which allowed them to move due to the VCM vibrations and line up to allow oil leakage). Anyway, I installed the VCMMuzzler and have been running 5w-20 oil rather that 0w-20.
5W20 Dino or 5W20 Syn? The benefit of 0W20 is that it's a synthetic. And the reason Honda switched from 5W to 0W. Are you constantly overheating your engine where 0W would actually start to cook? If not, 0W is the superior choice. The weather temps will never be too hot for 0W.

Since you're most likely to encounter low-temp, cold startups and very doubtful you'll experience over-temps, 0w20 is IMHO better in every way to 5w20 unless you plan on racing your Pilot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
5W20 Dino or 5W20 Syn? The benefit of 0W20 is that it's a synthetic. And the reason Honda switched from 5W to 0W. Are you constantly overheating your engine where 0W would actually start to cook? If not, 0W is the superior choice. The weather temps will never be too hot for 0W.

Since you're most likely to encounter low-temp, cold startups and very doubtful you'll experience over-temps, 0w20 is IMHO better in every way to 5w20 unless you plan on racing your Pilot.
5w-20 synthetic. By all accounts, leakage into the pistons is less likely using the 5w-20. I'm not overly worried about cold starting as I live in the south.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes my 2014 Honda pilot is right now in shop to replace piston rings, costing me $3,600.00 because Honda will not extend warranty for my 2014 model.
my dealer confirmed that my number 3 spark plug was oil fouled and recommended that I replace rings in all six cylinders.

In addition I went to pick up my vehicle this afternoon , the a/c is not working. They just called me and told me the clutch/coil is gone $675.00. It was working fine when I dropped car off earlier in week.

I am disgusted with Honda! This is my first and last Honda.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
The engine will run really rough, especially at lower speeds or when idling. Be careful because the dealership will try to put a bandaid on it by replacing the spark plugs and doing a "computer update". They are just putting you off, hoping the bandaid will surpass the 8 year warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 pilot 78,000 miles p0303 code dealer replaceing rings and plugs now but want 900.00 to replace timing belt and water pumps. they have to pull old ones off anyway to do rings

·
Registered
849 Posts
2013 pilot 78,000 miles p0303 code dealer replaceing rings and plugs now but want 900.00 to replace timing belt and water pumps. they have to pull old ones off anyway to do rings
Yep, makes sense since they'll be pulling all the parts anyway. My suggestion, since labor will be the same (they need to take off the same parts, etc when doing the Piston Rings as a TB service) supply them with the parts. Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump can be found on Amazon for $200 or so. Then there should be no extra charge for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2006 had the same cam problem. At the time no one knew the issue...I figured it out while disassembling it for a valve adjustment. I bought the parts and replaced the cam myself. The lobes were disentegrating.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My 2006 had the same cam problem. At the time no one knew the issue...I figured it out while disassembling it for a valve adjustment. I bought the parts and replaced the cam myself. The lobes were disentegrating.
The lobes and rings are two different issues. You can Google Honda camshaft galling and see numerous complaints from the K24 all the way up through both generations of the Pilot. For the V6, it's normally the rear-bank camshaft and the engine creating a loud tick is your first indication. There is a TSB regarding the camshaft lobes IIRC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Pilot and it happened to me last week. They had my Pilot for 3.5 days (they got a tiny rental car). I had an extended warranty but he told me even if didn't, Honda would cover it. After reading this thread, I'll be calling them to make sure they extend my engine warranty for 8 years regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Honda service rep confirmed today the 2014 piston rings were supposed to be upgraded, but that it's the same engine as the '09-'13 versions that Honda is fixing as part of the settlement. Except they won't pay for it like they do with the '09-'13. They offered me a 50% refund, but dangit, it should be 100%. Horrible customer service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question: Anyone know who does the piston ring work?

My friend with a 2011 Pilot is having the piston ring recall done per the TSB. I'm curious if the dealer does the piston ring replacement. I can't believe a dealer has the tools and machines, let alone the tech expertise to do this. No offense intended towards any Honda techs. Surely they are enthusiasts and are capable of doing just about any job on the car, but I would expect the dealers sends out the block to a machine shop to resolve the piston ring issue and check the block/bores for any warping, scoring, etc.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts