Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM recalls 597,000 SUVs

No. 1 automaker says 14 people, mostly children, have pinched fingers when folding headrests.
September 24, 2002: 11:25 AM EDT

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. recalled 597,000 model year 2000-2002 full-size sport/utility vehicles Tuesday due to incidents of people pinching their fingers when folding the seats.

GM (GM: down $1.54 to $40.04, Research, Estimates), the world's largest automaker, said the recall includes its Chevrolet Tahoe, Cadillac Escalade and GMC Yukon and Denali SUVs. The Chevrolet Suburban and Avalanche, Cadillac Escalade EXT and GMC Yukon XL are not included in the recall.

Fourteen people, including 10 children, have pinched their fingers by inadvertently inserting them through a slot in the upholstery when the headrest was being folded down while the second-row seats were being moved from upright to the stowed position, GM said.

GM said it will install plastic shields over each head restraint mechanism to protect fingers.

Owners of the recalled SUVs, built between September 1999 and February 2002, can have the shields installed free of charge at Chevrolet, Cadillac and GMC dealers.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/09/24/pf/autos/gm_recall.reut/index.htm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Operator error...

I pinched my fingers pulling the third row seats up. I was "showing off" my new Pilot to a group of mom's at a birthday party.

Yup....it took every ounce of energy not to yelp & act cool like I hadn't just snapped off my fingers. Now I know, watch where you place your hand when your lifting with the other. :D

They didn't seem to notice. They were too busy ooohhh & aaaahhhing.

Anybody else pull a stupid like that?

·
Registered
2003 EX-L (347,000), 2021 AWD Touring 8.
215 Posts
Re: Operator error...

Tasha said:

Anybody else pull a stupid like that?
Pinched my finger trying to figure out headrest operation, while 10 year old son said, "Like this, Mom!" and enthusiastically demonstrated before I could back away. Yup.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the same thing, while taking a test drive..tried to pull the back seat up and not only pinched my finger, but ripped a chunk of skin off as well. a fair amount of blood, (but none on the leather..I am sure the dealer was relieved).

BK

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ouch BK! I'm sure your fingers hurt....but the salesperson noticed!?!?! That's even more painful. :cool: LOL!!

The other problem I have is that I use the tethers to hold my childseats in the second row. Everytime I lift or lower the 3rd row seats they hit the tethers. ALSO, has anyone noticed that the seat rubs on the 3rd row shoulder seat belts? It looks like it is beginning to wear or change color from the rubbing.

As you can tell, I use the 3rd row a lot and frequently put it up & down. I love the configuration of it. In fact, for the way I use the Pilot, it's far superior to the configuration of my Ody.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tasha said:
ALSO, has anyone noticed that the seat rubs on the 3rd row shoulder seat belts? It looks like it is beginning to wear or change color from the rubbing.
Is it rubbing in the down position? If so, you can release the seatbelts and store them. Took us a while to figure that out. Other posts explain how to do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts