Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming back from a buddy's place late lastnite who lives out on an acreage just outside the city. I took a little bit of a detour to get on the highway. This stretch of the highway is very straight for quite a distance and I'm very much familiar with the road. So, seeing as how I could see no headlights in either direction, I decided to step on it a bit.

I was hovering around the 95-100MPH (150-160KMH) mark for just a bit and The Pilot was rock solid, stable and steady the whole time. I couldn't help it but press the pedal some more and all of a sudden, I felt the car lurch and heeve. I let go of the gas immediately. Hole smokes, I just about crap my pants!! :eek:

At first I couldn't figure out what the devil was going on and being the stupid idiot that I am, I pressed the gas again. This time, keeping one eye on the speedometer and car did the samething at about the 110MPH mark.

Does this seem right to you? I've seen speeds topping out on other cars, so it's nothing new. But I did expect the Pilot to top out at a higher speed. ;)

I know, I know. Some of you will be asking why I'd want to go so fast in a car like the Pilot or saying that I shouldn't have bought the Pilot if I wanted to so fast. I don't believe in asking why this and why that or claiming you should've or you shouldnt've for a discussion such as this.

Anyone know what the top end speeds are for other SUV's? Oh, and is that lurching I experienced lastnight normal? In retrospect, it wasn't all that violent. It felt as though the engine was "skipping" for the lack of a better word. But I've hit top end speeds in other cars before and I don't recall experiencing something like that. Is there anything about the speed restriction feature in the manual? I didn't read about it. If it isn't in there, Honda really should mention it in there. I mean, I tossed my boxers in the laundry basket just as soon as I got home :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
Limiter: Not sure.

RPMs: Did you happen to see what your RPMs were at when at 100 MPH? I'm at 2500 RPM at 90 MPH, but Autobahn has a pic of 2500 RPM at 100 MPH. I wonder if there is differen gearing for Europe.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Not to worry, I'm sure within a year someone will figure out how to defeat the limiter or an aftermarket replacement chip will be available for all you daredevils out there ...

PrG

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PrG said:
Not to worry, I'm sure within a year someone will figure out how to defeat the limiter or an aftermarket replacement chip will be available for all you daredevils out there ...

PrG
Well, I doubt I actually would look into modifying my Pilot to go faster. I mean, I barely hit 100MPH most of the time even when I'm on the highway. But I did want to see how fast it was capable of. Oh, well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I read in another thread that the limiter is set to 109 mph. I don't believe the tires are rated above that speed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think you answered Autobahn's question. He was always wondering what happens to the Pilot when you go over 109 MPH. I think he never got pass 105.

I've taken the Pilot at 100 MPH.......... and I agree it is rock solid and may I add smooooooooooth.

:2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
You guys do realize there is a speed limiter on the Pilot to keep you well below the 112 mph max speed rating of the tires......????

·
Registered
804 Posts
Question:

What type is it? A rev limiter or a fuel cut-off?

Does it kick in at 109 or 112 MPH?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pirate-kat said:
You guys do realize there is a speed limiter on the Pilot to keep you well below the 112 mph max speed rating of the tires......????
No, I didn't know that. That would explain it though.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Question:

Ferdball said:
What type is it? A rev limiter or a fuel cut-off?

Does it kick in at 109 or 112 MPH?
I think it kicked in at 109. The speedometer definitely didn't go over 110. As for what type it is, I honestly can't tell ya. But what I did experience was a bit of a lurch, perhaps because the fuel was cut off all of a sudden at such relatively high speeds.

Would a rev limiter make the car do that instead?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I didn't try it yet but I know in 92 the Accord would cut off at around 110. I was disappointed but what the hell was I doing a 110 for? (dumb question) I'm not so sure I want to go above 110 in the Pilot. The center of gravity is just a little too high and man, a deer would REALLY splatter with the size of this thing. I think I'd rather have better performance in the below 100 range. Better pickup, better MPG, better 45-75 etc....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Good thread! Just found it. Top speed is 109MPH. I regularly drive mine at 100-105MPH with confidence on the Autobahn. Yes, the tires are rated at 112MPH and are the driving factor for this limitation. Yes, other SUVs like the ML320 and X5 pass me all the time. Yes, the RPMs were at 2500 at 100MPH although I have since seen it vary depending upon the grade and how much acceleration or coasting I am doing.

For the record, my 1999 Honda Accord EX 4 Cyl does just fine at 120MPHs with confidence and I regularly drive it at 100-110MPH. It tops out at 130MPH.

On my way to Austria this past weekend got to see a late model Green Camero (w/ German plates) passed me going about 120+ on A7. Came up on him later in an accident. He had gotten spooked from someone coming on to the on-ramp to his right and he hit his left tire on the grass. Looks like he lost it then. Smashed the front left corner first on ghe guard rail and then wiped out the rear end. Both walked away and were happily putting up their warning triangle when we came upon it. Everyone drove by slowly, made sure they were okay and then floored it to make up for the lost time.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Took the Pilot to Laughlin over the weekend. On the way home, I punched it to see how fast I could go. Speedometer went to 108mph. Did not notice the speed limiter others have mentioned. Averaged about 85 to 95 mph. Bad part was the gas mileage. It was 14 miles per gallon. Guess you have to sacrifice something for speed.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wwong said:
Took the Pilot to Laughlin over the weekend. On the way home, I punched it to see how fast I could go. Speedometer went to 108mph. Did not notice the speed limiter others have mentioned.
The limiter's there, but it kicks in at 109MPH. So, you must've been very precise with your speed to not to get to that mark. If you would've kept your foot on the gas pedal, you certainly would've felt the limiter kicking in as you tried to get past 109MPH. Trust me, you'll know when the limiter kicks in. I had to go home and toss my boxers in the washer right away :2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts