Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheaper DVD System!!!

We recently purchaced a Pilot, and I told my dad that we should get the DVD system, but he said it cost to much and would be difficult to install along with our moonroof. However, he found a great TV combination DVD for under 200 dollars! The screen is 2 inches larger, and we can get TV reception as well! It is the Toshiba MD9DL1, and it fits in between the Pilots 2nd row middle seat and the air vents perfectly. My suggestion, spring for the Nav., and then get the moonroof and TV after market.

PilotGuy15:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Does it have sound-surround and remote headsets...........LOL! Just trying to justify my $1,500 option.......yikes!

:2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sound is great

Acually the sound is great, espectially for a Television that small, but it doesn't include wireless headphones like the factory installed version. However, you can buy a splitter at Radio Shack and plug it into the front so you can have two headsets to use!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Vegasdude,

I also did some research on mobile DVD System. It seems like you can get pretty decent one for around $1000 installed. As far as surround sound, I thought Pilot's audiio system does not support true surround sound. I will get it from outside not because it is cheaper but also I get bigger screen (7" wide format) and same/better quality dvd player.

Can't wait for Pilot to come!!!! (Due in October SS EX)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Pilotguy,

How does it fit between the seat and vents? How do you view the screen? Does the unit sit on it's back? pics would be nice, if possible.

·
Registered
797 Posts
6" DVD - Cheap Solution

Bought the Panasonic LV-60 6" Portable DVD 6 months ago for $549. Has a 16x9 screen, loud speakers (much louder than my Dell Laptop w/ DVD), 2 headphone jacks, a real 4 hour battery, plays MP3s and the usual features. Figure the real size of the screen is how close it is to your face. Look at those goggles they have that make it look like a 54" TV. So a little portable with 6" screen that is bigger to your eyes than a 7" hanging from the ceiling for 1/3 the cost - buy 3? Also, they have a 12V power adapter option by Panasonic and aftermarket. Bought the aftermarket - the aftermarket one also works on airplanes. Don't forget to throw in the noise cancelling headphones, too! And when you finally get where you are going, you can take all three players into the hotel room and keep everyone happy. :)

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/newdesign/productlist.asp?categoryid=2978

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's the same story as it's always been. You can get superior components for less in the aftermarket, but nothing replaces the unique integrations of a factory unit. Same for the NAV, same for the stereo, and same for the RES. It's all a matter of whats important to you. I will probably be getting a portable NAV unit because I want portablility and because the integration into the factory system wasn't important to me. For others, NAV integration is key and worth the extra $2,000 to get that level of integration. For us the NAV was important and it was important to have it integrate very tightly with the factory stereo. The RES system is definitely worth it to me, and I even have a DVD based laptop available to me with a much larger screen. Get what makes you comfortable!

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Target sells an audiovox 1580 portable DVD 5.8 inch screen which includes a car adaptor. Good picture. We paid $400 on sale. Regularly goes for $450.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Advantages of integrated unit

I'm tired of toting the ac/dc tv, power cables, etc. etc. and am looking forward to having it integrated in the roof of the car so my kids won't be stepping on the cables and losing the pieces!! Now all we gotta tote is the GameCube ... (according to my kids)
DVDs are also smaller to pack than VHS tapes, too!

Also there's no good place to put a portable unit in the pilot. In the minivan we wedged it between the two front seats. Pilot console prevents that.

Of course, I could also be justifying my $1500. You think?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did the same thing with my van. Had a portable tv with built in VHS (3 years ago) and wedge it between seats........running cables was a little bit of a hustle and kink necks for the viewers. They always want the tv volume load which is close to the driver and front passenger seats.....therefore I have to turn off my radio/cd/tape. Kids were entertained but not the driver. But if you can have it mounted for a cheaper price and integrate it with your stereo that's awesome. Obviously still trying to justify my $1,500 upgrade.....LOL!

THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST as a FUTURE SS PILOT EX-L RES owner. My pilot will be delivered at my house in 1 hour. I am about to take off from work now and very very EXCITED!

DURING MY NEXT POST I WILL BE A SS PILOT EX-L RES owner.

Have a nice day all and thanks for all the great info......... I have my checklist ready which I got from this forum.

:2:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good luck Vegasdude. May the Shwartz be with you!

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pictures

Dano,

I will try to get pictures up soon (within the next 2 days because I don't have a digital camera yet). Also, you can get the TV from outpost.com. And yes Dano, it fits very well.

PilotGuy15

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Pictures

Sorry that it is taking so long for the pics try to get them soon

PilotGuy15

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for those who care

I don't have a digital camera and my scanner isn't working, probably will not get any pics up

·
Registered
481 Posts
dvd player

Just noticed that crutchfield is selling a ceiling mounted, full swivel, LCD screen with two wireless headphones and ceiling mount kit.

Retails for $999. Add about $200 for an in-dash dvd and you pretty much have the Honda RES system.

Oh, and this one is made by Alpine, just like Honda's

·
Registered
168 Posts
$999 retail plus $200 for in-dash entertainment. $1200 retail plus......$200, $300 for installation? For that money, the factory system seems the way to go if nothing more then the factory warranty.
The portable $4-500 DVD's seem the way to go......if you didn't already decide the factory was the way. When I drive anywhere and the kids are quiet as a mouse, I know I have made the right decision!

·
Registered
481 Posts
figured you would save the money by doing the install yourself. And it's a nice option if you didn't get the RES. which i didn't

·
Registered
481 Posts
How's the sound, out of these portable units?

Also, do they come with multiple headphone ports? or even wireless????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts