Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, crazy Pilotmom. I just have to report this. I got really mad at the school for having such a poorly designed parking lot. Too many cars, rude people, and it's just a dirt lot with potholes and hills. NICE.
I arrived just 2 minutes later than my usual arrival time and there are NO spaces. So I made my own, behind all the parked mommies, on a 45degree angle, sideways. My 4 y.o. thought it was cool being in a crooked car.
It starts to downpour, making my grassy muddy terrain really slick. Someone pulled out of a spot ahead of me, and what the heck, I gots me a 4X4, i'll drive at an angle and crank the wheel all the way to the left (totally tight turn) and cruise right up the hill, into the actual space.
Well, no go. I made a fool of myself, spinning my right rear tire.
UNTIL...i realize you have to put it in 1st to engage the rear differential. Once I did that, she performed flawlessly and up that crazy steep hill I easily went.
So, I've found the limits of the Pilot without VTM-4lock engaged, but once I found it, it was AWESOME :) Can't wait for snow!

BTW-Why the heck is it so hard to engage 1st gear? Is this what people complain about when they talk about the awkward shifter?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Maybe I'm confused too, but I thought the VTM-4 kicked in automatically when needed. As you can tell, I haven't used mine yet.w

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
BTW-Why the heck is it so hard to engage 1st gear? Is this what people complain about when they talk about the awkward shifter?
I noticed that too--first day. (Don't tell anyone else, but I actually thought my transmission wouldn't go into the lower gears and that I must have broken it by playing with the VTM-4 on my test drive. Luckily, I figured it out before posting here and making a fool of myself.)

I think it's on purpose to avoid going past "Park" 99.9% of the time when you don't want the lower gears and VTM-4 lock.

BTW, when you pressed the VTM-4 button did your eyes turn green also? I feel just like the Hulk!

·
Registered
602 Posts
On a test drive, I asked my saleswoman what would happen if I pushed the VTM button while we were driving. I was worried that I might "accidently" hit the button at 55 mph and screw up the transmission. She said it wouldn't go into 4X4 unless I was under 22 mph. I asked, while driving her demo, can I push the button to see what happens? She got nervous. I pushed it anyway and nothing happened. Then, at a full stop I pushed it again, and nothing happened. Then I put it into 1st gear and pushed the button and voila.

·
Registered
461 Posts
And then there's me...The one who parked at the bottom of the hill for the soccer game rather than going up the rut filled driveway! Every Astro, Previa, and small sedan made it...but I actually turned around!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next time ye of three kids, next time. Go for it, and yes you will turn into the HULK as robrecht hath spake.
I now have the VTM-4 bug, eyeballing all muddy hills, thinking, "I can take that"

I was impressed -once I figured it out ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
snipped
I noticed that to when I was trying to downshift into 3rd in the mountains. My wife informed me that I had to depress the brake ( I thought I had) in order to down shift. Silly rabbit!:D
Matt

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:

Find the little hang tag that tells you how to move the shift lever.

There was a thread about it.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
guitarman said:
On a test drive, I asked my saleswoman what would happen if I pushed the VTM button while we were driving. I was worried that I might "accidently" hit the button at 55 mph and screw up the transmission. She said it wouldn't go into 4X4 unless I was under 22 mph.
Its 18MPH for the lock mode in 1st, 2nd, and "R".
the VTM-4 works at all speed in its automatic mode.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Pilotmom goes VTM-4 for the 1st time

m-mmeyer said:
I noticed that to when I was trying to downshift into 3rd in the mountains. My wife informed me that I had to depress the brake ( I thought I had) in order to down shift. Silly rabbit!:D
Matt
No you don't!

The lever will go into 3rd from drive any time.
The transmission will downshift as long as it is at an acceptable speed.
You may need to brake if you are above the red-line speed for third gear! If you are already going that fast, down shifting is NOT going to help! :eek:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
4603pba said:
Maybe I'm confused too, but I thought the VTM-4 kicked in automatically when needed. As you can tell, I haven't used mine yet.w
I thought so, too. Does this mean when driving on snow & ice or mud you need to be ready to hit the VTM-4 button? I know that's not the case; but maybe it has something to do with moving from a dead stop.
Hopefully someone with experience in snow/ice Piloting can educate us recent summertime buyers. I just hope I don't have to actually slow down when winter weather hits (just kidding).

·
Registered
747 Posts

Well, no go. I made a fool of myself, spinning my right rear tire.
UNTIL...i realize you have to put it in 1st to engage the rear differential. Once I did that, she performed flawlessly and up that crazy steep hill I easily went.
[/B]

If you spin your right rear tire, that means you are four wheel driving. Understand that Pilot is front wheel drive based AWD. But it's not locking, why? you are not going beyond 18mph and 2nd gear in a parking lot, are you?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I know on my 2000, 2002 Odyssey's that the traction control light would flash when it was engaged. Is there anything on the pilot like the VTM-4 light flashing when there is slippage and the four wheel drive is engaged?:confused:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bad Information Being Passed In This Thread

Warning Everyone,

The VTM-4 on the PILOT kicks in anytime there is slippage detected by the system. If your front wheels break loose - even above 18mph - the VTM-4 is going to work and transfer power to where it's needed.

Now, if you're in a situation where "locking" the VTM-4 is needed, then you will have to stop, downshift and lock it in - but realize, once you're over 18pmh, the system is going to onlock itself.

If you're driving in snow or mud, the VTM-4 system is going to got to work, but if you get stuck, then you're going to have to lock it in.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
vahrmeyer said:
I know on my 2000, 2002 Odyssey's that the traction control light would flash when it was engaged. Is there anything on the pilot like the VTM-4 light flashing when there is slippage and the four wheel drive is engaged?:confused:
No and you probably would not want it as it engages with every start.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RIGHT, PilotingCo! Thank you for clearing all this AWD 4WD VTM-4 info up.

This is NOT a "full time" or "real time 4 wheel drive" vehicle. It's better! The vtm-4 (variable torque management) system monitors each wheel 100 times per second to determine where the torque is needed. You will have a hard time laying rubber on the ground in this car.

I was a little surprised that the torque management didn't help me up the hill better than it did disengaged, but knew my VTM-4 lock would save me when needed. So once I shifted her into 1st and pushed the button on my dash, my rear differential was locked.

This is one of the most sophisticated systems in the industry, be proud! I still need to go study my hang tag on how to shift for the love of Pete.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
OK, so getting back to your original questions...

1) You have to apply just a little bit of pressure sorta toward the dash to move the shifter past D and into the HULK-like gears. I'm sure this is to keep the shifter from inadvertantly moving past D.

2) I think what people mean by the awkward shifter is that when you are in the HULK-like gears (yes, this is a technical term) the shifter is kind of hitting against your right knee.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
I was a little surprised that the torque management didn't help me up the hill better than it did disengaged, but knew my VTM-4 lock would save me when needed. So once I shifted her into 1st and pushed the button on my dash, my rear differential was locked.
There is no rear differential in the classic sense.

The VTM-4 system was probably on its way to locking (or already had locked) the rear axle.

Remember you had the wheels turned tight. This requires that the rear wheel s turn at different rates. Since the VTM when locked has no differential one of the wheels must slip. You probably just gave it a bit too much power for the available traction. Nothing will help that.
Well maybe the MDX with drive by wire, since it could reduce power till traction is established, but maybe not!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts