Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm a newbie in this forum, and you might be surprised to learn I don't drive a Pilot. Actually, I drive a 99 Accord EX 5-speed, and I wanted a wood shift knob for it. I was lookin at the wood shift knob from the Pilot and it looked nice, but I was worried about fitment issues. I was wondering if anybody knows if the Pilot wood shift knob fits on the 5-speed Accord?

·
Registered
483 Posts
N4TECguy-
Welcome to the ranks of HondaPilot.org. Since you don't have a Pilot, maybe you can become a honorary member.

If the shift knob is real wood, maybe you can carve it to fit the shift knob on your Accord. If your Accord is a manual with a stick shifter, there are companies that specialize in shift knobs. Do a Google search for them.

Thanx
EDR

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
The Pilot has a column mounted "shifter." The wood knob for it is a direct replacement for the knob on the column mounted "shifter." As such, even if it did fit, any self-respecting manual shifter with a 4, 5 or 6 on the floor would not want this knob on the end of it. It's too long and narrow.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Wood Select Knob for Pilot

kemosabe said:
P/N 08U92-S9V-100
Thanks kemo. That picture illustrates my point that the wood knob is not appropriate for a manual shifter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jay said:
As such, even if it did fit, any self-respecting manual shifter with a 4, 5 or 6 on the floor would not want this knob on the end of it. It's too long and narrow.
Thanks a lot, I now realize I'm not "self-respecting" lol. Actually I like the tall and long shifter a lot better than my stock one. I don't know how it would look on the interior, but I think it would look okay. I've looked around in the aftermarket but I just don't find any shift knob particularly striking. The dominating brand, Momo, uses some really ugly wood and designs too IMHO. Besides that, it would look too "ricey," because the rest of my car is basically stock. The thing about carving the wood to fit the shifter, I never thought of that but then again I don't think the thing is real wood either. Most Honda wood is plastic, even in the Acura's. Another reason I wanted to stick with Honda is because the aftermarket shift knobs are universal and some have fitment problems. I've heard reports that even with adapters on them, they're loose and basically you have to glue the entire thing to the shifter.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
N4TECguy said:
Thanks a lot, I now realize I'm not "self-respecting" lol. Actually I like the tall and long shifter a lot better than my stock one.

...snip

I guess you can't see it from the picture, but the wood shifter is small, narrow, but long. Like I've been told, it's not length, it's girth. :D

Imagine a chicken leg or drumstick from KFC. Would you want to wrap your hand around the narrow, bony part, or the meaty, fat part? Me, I'd prefer a meatier shift knob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's long and narrow, I know what a column shifter is lol. I normally shift using the palm of my hand (like resting on the shifter)...at least that's how I think I shift. I don't know I'll pay more attention next time lol....but anyway I just thought it would be okay to have a narrow knob, I wanted it mainly because it's wood, it's Honda and it's nicer than the stock one lol.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
N4TECguy said:
I know it's long and narrow, I know what a column shifter is lol. I normally shift using the palm of my hand (like resting on the shifter)...at least that's how I think I shift. I don't know I'll pay more attention next time lol....but anyway I just thought it would be okay to have a narrow knob, I wanted it mainly because it's wood, it's Honda and it's nicer than the stock one lol.
Tim at Hondacuraworld.com could probably tell you if it would fit. Why not email him at [email protected]. His price on the knob is pretty good, too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
N4TECguy,

I think the Pilot wood shift knob could look cool - BUT - the Accord shift knob has clips on the bottom that keep the shift-boot-thingy attached to the shift knob. Without being hooked to the knob, the boot just flops around the shifter and looks very unfinished. I replaced the stock shift knob on my 01 Accord 5sp with the Honda leather one, which I really like, if you can't find a wood one that works. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Versed said:
does the pilot colume shifter screw off and on easy enough so as if I order one I can replace it myself??
It sure does. :D Even I could do it, and mechanically and inclined are not two words on the same page describing me. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm looks like the shift knob is pretty brittle if you can't overtighten it...maybe not up to the task of frequent shifting. About the clips on the shift boot, yeah I realized that, I was trying to think of a way to perhaps zip-tie it around the bottom (silver area) of the wood shift knob or something like that. At worst, I'll just ziptie it or glue it to the shifter itself, take it off (that would negate the improved aesthetics the wood shift knob would lend to the interior though), or just buy a new one. Just went to look at hondacuraworld.com, that shift knob is $100. Lotsa money but not far off from Momo shift knobs. I found it on hparts.com for $91 and slhonda.com for $103 (just giving you guys a heads up on parts sites if you didn't know about those already).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts