Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures with the new wheels, AT Italia Flash, with Michelin CT 255/60/17 from tirerack.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Great pics, Daveb! REALLY looks sharp! :29:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Looks Great!!!

Your new wheels REALLY dress up the Sandstone!!!

:2: :2:

·
Registered
288 Posts
daveb looks really good. :31: Where did you get them? Any issues (i.e. rubbing) with the extra width?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I got them from tirerack.com and the fronts are very close to touching the strut housing, maybe 1/16" clearance. I had a very good experience with tirerack.com and they had the best prices on the tires.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
kemosabe said:

Now, Sage... you should know better than to say "looks sharp" near the tires... :twak:

Looking well-rounded, daveb!!! :4: :17:

Ouch! There go those violent tendencies again! :(

Daveb... How does the Pilot handle with the new tires? Notice any difference in the handling?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
handlling

It firms up the ride just a little. The extra rubber on the pavement because of the width is noticeable. But it did not change the ride that much. I would have gone with 18's but the Michelin CT didn't really come in a favorable size.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Daveb

I have a similar application (see sig). My experience with the Tire Rack was not so great. I had to send back the entire first package because they did such a horse**** job of balancing. Not a single wheel was balanced properly. I rec the new set yesterday and there was white paint on the back of two of the wheels that took me well over and hour to scrape off, not to mention some scratches on the back of one of the wheels from the dip**** who mounted my tires. At least they managed to get the balancing somewhat right this time. Last time I buy any package from the Tire Rack.

BTW, in retrospect, I would not get 255s. You’re right, you can feel more rubber on the road. It almost feels a bit sluggish, and I even had ultra high performance tires. Your ride is still more than likely softer due to the type of tire you use.

Also, from your pic, it looks like you are using the original lugs and lock. That is a big no-no.

I’ll post a pic of my new set-up tomorrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lugs?

Why is it a big no no to use the original lugs? i have the ones they sent but had already installed them when I realized they sent new ones.

Do tell.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: lugs?

daveb said:
Why is it a big no no to use the original lugs? i have the ones they sent but had already installed them when I realized they sent new ones.

Do tell.
Lugs are designed to fit the wheel, not the car. I get rid of the Honda lock and install the lugs they sent you. Also, another tip. If your new wheels are not hubcentric, you need to torque the wheels to speck while they are off the ground. Here is a pic of the wheels I got...

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
MG, can't wait to see the pics of your Pilot with those wheels, I'm sure they look good.

daveb, thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hubcentric? Never thought much about this before now but seems that most wholes in the rims for the studs to pass through are not much larger than the diameter of the studs and even then, the lug nuts are tapered on the back side. I am curious as to what type of rim is not hubcentric.

·
Registered
920 Posts
seadog said:
Hubcentric? Never thought much about this before now but seems that most wholes in the rims for the studs to pass through are not much larger than the diameter of the studs and even then, the lug nuts are tapered on the back side. I am curious as to what type of rim is not hubcentric.
Most aftermarket wheels are NOT hubcentric. In turn, they use centering rings so that the wheel fits properly. This way wheel manufacturers can sell more wheels and not have to worry about making exact fitments-

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
MG Pilot said:

Most aftermarket wheels are NOT hubcentric. In turn, they use centering rings so that the wheel fits properly. This way wheel manufacturers can sell more wheels and not have to worry about making exact fitments-

Hmmm, it has been quite a few years since I have done any aftermarket wheels too. I knew OF this type of wheel - just didn't know what is was called. Do they carry the same load rating when they are "hubcentric"?:confused:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Love mine

I have the same tire upgrade with 17" Mille Miglia's. The lugs definately need to match the wheel taper and the spacer needs to be installed properly.

I had mine aligned after because it was a little twitcy and it turns out that the alignment was pretty far out anyway.

Also, run your tire pressure a little harder (I'm at 36psi) and that helps the steering feel. I prefer a firmer ride/ feel anyway and don't consider the 255's sluggish at all.

All in all the Pilot feels much more planted and stable not undertired, especially in corners with these tires.

I consider this the best upgrade I've done, with the sunroof second.

IMO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts