Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a thread that already covers this under MDX TSB but this is too important of an info. not to Alert Pilot Owners.

Please check your VIN# for recall. Timing belt could snap and cause engine failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ooh ... good catch ... I'm affected ...

Looks like all early production PILOTs.

PrG

·
Registered
27 Posts
PrG, how do you figure you are affected? Isn't it #13603 through #17522? If you are "2003 Honda Pilot EX-L Nighthawk Black Pearl #7369" looks like you are OK, but at #15039 I'm not. :confused:

-pilotdude

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
OK, call me stupid, am I affected?

PrG said:
Ooh ... good catch ... I'm affected ...

Looks like all early production PILOTs.

PrG
My VIN's 2HKYF1*****001069. Am I screwed as well? I think I'm OK since my last 5 digits are 01069 which falls out of range of #13603 through #17522. But then again, I've never been accused of being sharp. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It affects me deeply when my fellow PILOT brethren's PILOTs have been recalled ... Right to the heart of my being ....

:(

PrG

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks like we are in the clear. Our Vin# is not in that range. However, we purchased ours in late June. Must have been just ahead of the water pump trouble.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Unlucky water pump

Thanks for all of the posts regarding this problem. I checked the #'s and it appears that I am one of the chosen ones.....(14230). I have already spoken with my dealer service department and they were amazed that I already knew this. He is checking on parts for the recall and will fix me as soon as the parts are in.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Lucked out!!!!

We just took delivery of my wife's Pilot last week and MISSED the problem by 2468 vehicles...:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Lucked out!!!!

l102374 said:
We just took delivery of my wife's Pilot last week and MISSED the problem by 2468 vehicles...:) :) :) :) :)
I'm not sure that the owners of the Pilots affected by this recall would be so keen in seeing your glee in their misfortune...just a thought...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks like I may need to be included in that "group hug"!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Im in the range, my dealer was clueless about the recall, and was kinda hasseling me about contacting them before i recieved anything from honda. He said they werent doing any recall repairs until honda siad to, had to let him go to look up my vin, im guessing im gonna have to do some serious *****ing to get them to fix it before i get my notice from Honda, I do realize that not every vin in that range is effected, but the least they could do is check for me.......ill let ya all know how it goes

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just spoke with a three dealers here in Phoenix

- Only two out of the three even knew there was a recall

- All three stated that they would be using the parts they have in stock for their unsold vehicles FIRST, customers would come second. All told me it would be 2-3 weeks or more.

- Called an Acura dealer just to see if they would do it... no dice.

Now THAT'S great Honda customer service at work, huh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Dealer (Oakland Honda) claims to know nothing about this and says they won't even have the parts to fix it until they get the info from Honda! I'll fax them the TSB myself!

This sucks. Can those of us affected expect anything in the way of compensation for this? It definitely affects the value of the car right? If I were to sell after getting it fixed and had to tell someone the waterpump had been replaced, knock off $1000 from the selling price.

For the cars with this issue that had not been sold, can they sell them as new after making the fix? If not, they have a huge incentive to not "discover" the problem until all those units are sold right?

-pilotdude:mad:

·
Registered
592 Posts
My last 5 digits are 02063. Looks like mine's not one of the recalls. But I feel for the ones that are affected.

Please keep us informed. Let me know if anyone wants me to check with the local dealers here in the Bay Area to see if they are aware of this recall.

·
Registered
509 Posts
pilotdude said:
For the cars with this issue that had not been sold, can they sell them as new after making the fix? If not, they have a huge incentive to not "discover" the problem until all those units are sold right?
In the CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION section of the TSB, it clearly states that, "Some vehicles affected by this recall are still in dealer inventory. According to Federal law, those vehicles cannot be sold or leased until they are repaired."

Not sure if they'd be willing to risk whatever the consequences are, or not?

:8:

·
Registered
340 Posts
pilotdude said:
Can those of us affected expect anything in the way of compensation for this? It definitely affects the value of the car right? If I were to sell after getting it fixed and had to tell someone the waterpump had been replaced, knock off $1000 from the selling price.

Replacing the water pump is really not a big deal. I have done it on various Hondas a couple of time. A major PITA, but a relative simple part with an important function. Goto your parts counter and ask to see one.

As to a replaced water pump degrading the value of the car, IMO I don't think so. It's like replacing the timing belt, which you need to do every 60K-90K miles anyway.

And yes, they can sell cars with replaced water pumps as new.

The real problem in this recall is that the water pump can cause the timing belt to fail, and that WILL cause SERIOUS engine damage. I'm surprised that Honda has not reacted to this much quicker in getting the replacement parts to dealers and getting customer contacted ASAP. Fixing the water pump is cheap, fixing a block with bent valves, new heads, and whatever else is damaged by a failed timing best is $$$$.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts