Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking into buying a 2004 Pilot with either NAV or RES. I would like to have both but Honda only offers one or the other.

Is it better to get the factory NAV system and add the RES via aftermarket or vice versa?

Also, is $31,288 plus tax, license & fees a good deal for a EX-L w/NAV in Southern California?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I faced this decision a week ago, and I bought the RES. I'm awaiting delivery on/about the 19th - my Pilot was built last week.

The built-in Nav is super, no doubt. However, my humble opinion is that there are some fantastic Nav solutions available from Garmin, Navman, Magellan and others at very reasonable prices. There is really no aftermarket RES system that offers the level of integration the factory RES does, in my mind. However, aftermarket RES can be cheaper. YMMV

Good Luck!
Don

·
Registered
88 Posts
I second DN325Ci's thoughts.
When I was looking to buy my PILOT I was confused too. I went with RES based on the info on this board and now I am planning to buy the Garmin Street Pilot 2610.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Vishal said:
I second DN325Ci's thoughts.
When I was looking to buy my PILOT I was confused too. I went with RES based on the info on this board and now I am planning to buy the Garmin Street Pilot 2610.
That's what I was going to recommend :) I don't have any kids (yet), so I didn't see any reason to get RES now, otherwise I would have done exactly that. I'll just get an aftermarket kit down the road.

kad

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
kadiir said:
That's what I was going to recommend :) I don't have any kids (yet), so I didn't see any reason to get RES now, otherwise I would have done exactly that. I'll just get an aftermarket kit down the road.

kad
I don't have kids either, and won't. That's what friends' kids are for. But when Uncle jay has the largest vehicle and is "pressed into service," he can kill three birds with one stone- 1. give Mom and Dad a break, 2. Be a cool Uncle, 3. Keep them quiet while they're with me. :D I get the best of all worlds. :p

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Another alternative would be to get the factory-installed NAV and if you want to stick with a Honda product, there's always the I-VES (In-Vehicle Entertainment System) as shown below...

...the installation instructions in PDF format are here if you want so see them. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a SS with Nav. I have a 3 year old and wanted to get an aftermarket RES. I choose the Sony Dream system. I had it installed at best buy. Here is the thread: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5778

Also in this sundays paper there is the same system with free install at Circut City. Check it out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
jay said:
I don't have kids either, and won't. That's what friends' kids are for. But when Uncle jay has the largest vehicle and is "pressed into service," he can kill three birds with one stone- 1. give Mom and Dad a break, 2. Be a cool Uncle, 3. Keep them quiet while they're with me. :D I get the best of all worlds. :p
Heh, 1 niece & 2 nephews-in-law (wife's brother's family), but I figured since mom & dad don't have a RES setup in their 'burban I can slide by :2:

kad

·
Registered
496 Posts
GregthePilotMan said:
Also in this sundays paper there is the same system with free install at Circut City. Check it out.
Heh, got distracted by the Garmin 2610 ad next to it & missed it :)

$1,000 seems like a good deal w/ install included. I just wonder how CC's install quality is (never used them).

kad

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Sony Dream System is nice. I'm a huge Sony fan - nearly all of the electronics in our home are Sony.

Still, the aftermarket systems are more often than not integrated via an FM modulator, which limits dynamic range. Blitzsafe is a lesser known alternative. Even so, if an AMRES is integrated to the factory headunit, you still lose ability to control the unit and separate the "front" and "rear" signals, using the headunit controls.

To some folks, these limitations probably don't matter. To me, they are a good reason to choose RES over NAV and add aftermarket NAV.

Additionally, I believe (and possibly some NAV users agree) that Honda NAV is good but not outstanding. Some of the aftermarket NAVs are really outstanding.

So, my strange mental algebra:
Honda RES > AM RES
AND
AM NAV > Honda NAV
THEREFORE
Honda RES > Honda NAV

Your algebra may vary!

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all that have posted feedback.

The aftermarket NAV systems mentioned above, are they handheld units and what are the price range? I'm not familiar with this NAV system, but I love the one in the MDX. Are they not the same Alpine unit?

My wife prefers the NAV over RES as our daughter is only 13 mos. and currently isn't much into watching TVs. Wife travels offsite quite a bit for work. However, if the aftermarket NAV system are better and cheaper, it's something to consider.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not handheld, unless you want it to be. Either portable or dash mounted in some way. There are several great threads you can search for in these forums.

Don

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I opted for neither. While having either one factory installed is certainly a superior and more convenient solution, I felt they were overpriced. As for the NAV, I think there are better systems on the market for less money and they can be used in any other vehicle you own. As for the RES, considering the life of the vehicle, I think the technology is still progressing to the point where in a few years there may be DVDs the RES won't be able to play (assuming you keep a car more than a few years). DVD players will always be backward compatible to CDs, but there's no such thing as forward compatibility.

Just think of what a turn-off that could be on resale. "Yeah, it's got a DVD player, but it can't play the new 80 gigabyte DVDs."

·
Registered
403 Posts
NAV with aftermarket DVD

I went for NAV and added Audiovox PROV916 overhead DVD player with 9 inch wide screen LCD display. I wanted both NAV and RES from the beginning and simply followed the dealer recommendation to go for factory NAV. They said NAV was more closely tied to the driving system such as picking up wheel rotation information while RES is not so much. I don't know how true that is though. Another reason for having NAV is that I have rearview camera also. NAV is necessary for displaying the image from the rearview camera and the camera operation is tied to the transmission so that the image automatically appears when the gear is put in reverse. I like the Audiovox PROV916 DVD over factory DVD system for two reasons. One is that it comes with built-in TV tuner and embedded antenna. Another one is MP3 playing capability. I burn a CD-ROM with a bunch of MP3 encoded 70s and 80s songs so that the player serves as my custom jukebox instead of a DVD player while kids are not on board. For me this customized jukebox is better than having CD disk changer. A single CD-ROM can hold more MP3 songs than handful of CDs. Besides all the songs are my favorites without a single exception. When our kids (8, 6, 3 and 0) are with me the DVD magically keeps them so quiet. Currently "Finding NEMO" is doing a great job.

-Tak

·
Registered
64 Posts
I opted for the NAV and installed the RES later. It was a cleaner look than having a NAV sitting on your dash. Audiovox makes a nice all-in-one unit clean install and nothing to look at under the seats. I nstalled a Clarion DVD player and 10" screen while also changing the head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aftermarket RES

Tak & jimburgia, the RES in your Pilot, are the audio hooked up to the speakers or is it available only through the wireless headphones? Also, how many headphones are included with your unit?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DVD in-Vehicle Entertainment System

Anyone have any experience with this unit? It's the one offerred from Honda.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: DVD in-Vehicle Entertainment System

reds2k1 said:
Anyone have any experience with this unit? It's the one offerred from Honda.
I think you may have your answer sometime in December -- honda-pilot.org member Pilot4jen&mook are getting ready to embark on the task of installing one... I sold them my Center Lower Cover part two weeks ago (that they think they will need). Since I've been on this board, I don't recall any other members having installed the I-VES... :8:

Here are some threads that Pilot4jen&mook have participated in, asking research questions about the I-VES:

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

·
Registered
64 Posts
Both! It can play through the FM through the Aux port and the unit came with 2 headphones!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts