Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on current generation Pilot vs Traverse? I like the exterior of the Traverse a bit more, but I give a light edge to the Pilot interior. I've driven both twice, and while they both have a similar smooth ride, the Pilot is quieter, while the Traverse has a bit more juice. I trust Honda reliability more, but I've heard some negative things on the 9 speed transmission on the Pilot. Is this still an issue for 19-20 year models? Any other problems on current year models so far? Appreciate any advice you guys could offer!

·
Banned
379 Posts
Sorry, but I can't compare the two myself. Chevy is garbage. But if you like it that's what matters. As for the 9 speed on the Pilot, that is also garbage lol. Some people will disagree, but reviews I have read say otherwise. Personally I wouldn't go over EX-L as a trim level, but some people need all the bells and whistles. I find that those extras are just so people can say they have the top tier, I don't need it myself. I'd still pick Honda over Chevy though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but I can't compare the two myself. Chevy is garbage. But if you like it that's what matters. As for the 9 speed on the Pilot, that is also garbage lol. Some people will disagree, but reviews I have read say otherwise. Personally I wouldn't go over EX-L as a trim level, but some people need all the bells and whistles. I find that those extras are just so people can say they have the top tier, I don't need it myself. I'd still pick Honda over Chevy though.
Thanks. Yeah, I agree on the ex-l, but unfortunately it's fir the wife and she needs all the bells and whistles.

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
Three years ago I compared the last gen Traverse with the new Pilot. The Traverse had a ton of good points to it.
Then I looked at the Traverse forum and it went from a possible candidate to hell no.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Yeah, I agree on the ex-l, but unfortunately it's fir the wife and she needs all the bells and whistles.
Which bells and/or whistles that aren't available on the EX-L can't your wife live with out?

·
Banned
379 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I agree on the ex-l, but unfortunately it's fir the wife and she needs all the bells and whistles.
What extra stuff does she need? Nav? I use my phone, works fine lol. Maybe you got little kids and need movies? You also lose a seat with the captain chairs. I like seating 8 instead of 7. I get my kids' friends a lot. I think touring and Elite have too much tech. Lots of horror stories regarding electronics.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How long are you planning to keep it? For people who flip their vehicles every 3 years, it makes little difference because pretty much all vehicle brands will perform satisfactorily for 3 years, with everything covered under warranty (even including Dodge/Chrysler/Hyundai, etc). In that case buy the one that looks nicest and has the features you want. OTOH, If you're like me and have your cars hauled to the wrecker after 15 years, then, yes it makes a difference, buy the one with reliability. Toyota or Honda (period) in that case IMO (even Ford and GM don't make it into that category for me).

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
OTOH, If you're like me and have your cars hauled to the wrecker after 15 years, then, yes it makes a difference, buy the one with reliability. Toyota or Honda (period) in that case IMO (even Ford and GM don't make it into that category for me).
What vehicles are you buying that last for only 15 years?

·
Registered
236 Posts
What extra stuff does she need? Nav? I use my phone, works fine lol. Snip...snip...snip... I think touring and Elite have too much tech. Lots of horror stories regarding electronics.
I couldn’t disagree more. The built-in navigation is Garmin based and works perfectly, integrating with the MID display and the audio system. Automatic wipers and high beam headlights are a nice convenience that doesn’t take away from driving enjoyment. Adaptive cruise control is one of the best inventions ever, as is emergency brake assist. With a vehicle of this size, blind spot monitor and front and rear parking sensors are very practical and helpful if you park in close confines frequently. The climate control system is a step ahead also, just set it once and forget about fooling with the settings constantly. Keyless entry is super-handy, and works very well. The 9-speed transmission has been troublesome in the 2016 models, but with improvements in 2017 they have made it a perfectly capable gearbox. It really sounds like you are afraid of technology. Don’t give others the false impression that technology is bad - it can be badly implemented, but on the Pilot and other Honda products it is perfectly fine.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I couldn’t disagree more. The built-in navigation is Garmin based and works perfectly, integrating with the MID display and the audio system. Automatic wipers and high beam headlights are a nice convenience that doesn’t take away from driving enjoyment. Adaptive cruise control is one of the best inventions ever, as is emergency brake assist. With a vehicle of this size, blind spot monitor and front and rear parking sensors are very practical and helpful if you park in close confines frequently. The climate control system is a step ahead also, just set it once and forget about fooling with the settings constantly. Keyless entry is super-handy, and works very well. The 9-speed transmission has been troublesome in the 2016 models, but with improvements in 2017 they have made it a perfectly capable gearbox. It really sounds like you are afraid of technology. Don’t give others the false impression that technology is bad - it can be badly implemented, but on the Pilot and other Honda products it is perfectly fine.
I have a 2019 EX-L. Except for the nav it has all that crap. Maybe you need to look up the specs. I don't use the adaptive cruise. I use regular cruise. I'm not afraid of tech, I just don't need most of it because I pay attention. It's for people who can't drive. The Touring and Elite have a ton of issues. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Since I'm on both forums and responded on the Traverse forum, I'll respond here as well... if size is a large factory the Traverse wins. Otherwise I'd say they are pretty competitive in most areas and it will come down to your preference on comfort, ride, NVH, style, etc.

We have the last generation of both, and my wife would take the Pilot again every day and I'd take the Traverse... both have been good to us.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2019 Touring with 9 speed. No problem at all. 9 speed works fine. EX-L will cost you almost as much as touring after adding navigation/Honda link.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
A fool and his money are soon parted.

The Traverse will turn into a money pit by year 3.
I get that you feel they are not as reliable but being on both forums you would be amazed how similar they are in terms of reliability. I do prefer the crispness and quality feel of all of Honda's switches but the latest GM switches are pretty good as well.

Given the issues with VCM and the 9 speed among other things, I would not qualify the Pilot as substantially more reliable than the Traverse.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I get that you feel they are not as reliable but being on both forums you would be amazed how similar they are in terms of reliability. I do prefer the crispness and quality feel of all of Honda's switches but the latest GM switches are pretty good as well.

Given the issues with VCM and the 9 speed among other things, I would not qualify the Pilot as substantially more reliable than the Traverse.
The history of lack of reliability with GM is legendary. They are famous for failed electrics, intake manifold gaskets and oil leaks. Honda is just the opposite. They have a stellar reputation based on owner experience from day one in all regards. Then you also should take into account the depreciation rate for GM vehicles, which is almost as bad as Fiat-chrysler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you make your decision....think about the future trade in value of each. If you go to KBB.com and search for a 2015 Pilot, top trim level, then 2015 Traverse, top trim level, both with equal mileage and accessories, same color....you'll see the Honda has an almost $4,000 higher trade in value. There is no disputing that Honda's hold their value better than Chevrolet. Whether you keep your new car for three years or ten, you'll get a lot more for the Honda when you want to sell it. Don't believe me...do the comparison yourself, and pick any recent year you want!

·
Banned
379 Posts
I have 2019 Touring with 9 speed. No problem at all. 9 speed works fine. EX-L will cost you almost as much as touring after adding navigation/Honda link.
Don't want either one of those. I find Honda link useless. I have a phone that can tell me where to go if need be. I don't travel the country so it's rare that I need directions. Good luck with your tranny. I hope you got a good one ?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Before you make your decision....think about the future trade in value of each. If you go to KBB.com and search for a 2015 Pilot, top trim level, then 2015 Traverse, top trim level, both with equal mileage and accessories, same color....you'll see the Honda has an almost $4,000 higher trade in value. There is no disputing that Honda's hold their value better than Chevrolet. Whether you keep your new car for three years or ten, you'll get a lot more for the Honda when you want to sell it. Don't believe me...do the comparison yourself, and pick any recent year you want!
But you can generally get the Traverse cheaper new, Honda doesn't discount as much... so I'd say this gap narrows when all factors are considered.

The history of lack of reliability with GM is legendary. They are famous for failed electrics, intake manifold gaskets and oil leaks. Honda is just the opposite. They have a stellar reputation based on owner experience from day one in all regards. Then you also should take into account the depreciation rate for GM vehicles, which is almost as bad as Fiat-chrysler.
I'm not going to dispute that because I generally agree with you.

BUT, looking model to model the Traverse through its first and second generation has been as reliable as the second and third gen Pilot (basically looking at 09-20 models).

The pre '13 Traverse had transmission issues, really none after that. I seem to see the same occurrence of posts regarding air conditioning and general electrical issues.

The Pilot VCM system has been problematic, especially in earlier years. The Traverse does not use a cylinder deactivation system on their Traverse so clearly no issues there.

So, I maintain that if you look specifically model vs. model they seem to have very similar reliability. Both of ours have treated us well and I wouldn't hesitate to get either again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts