Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Ridgeline but recently been thinking about trading for a Pilot...anyone else make the switch? If so why and do you regret it?

I think i would really miss the bed.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
If you use the Ridgeline as a truck I think you’ll regret it. I’ve had a truck in the stable the past 15 years and couldn’t imagine not being able to haul a load of whatever I’m in need of from the store to the house. A Pilot is our other vehicle and it would not be suitable for what I need it for (I.e. I’ve never considered taking the Pilot to the landscape shop to get a yard of mulch, etc.). But the Pilot is a great people hauler and can fit seven or eight, depending on the model, so you will gain that flexibility. The third row does have its limitations in terms of space and comfort.

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
I've looked at the Ridgeline, but it's size alone just isn't enough to work for me.
I suggest you go with a Pilot and use a trailer for those times you need the extra space.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Really, you shouldn't be comparing a ridgeline to a pilot. They are not the same thing. Compare a ridgeline to other trucks and a pilot to other SUV.
This is what it comes down to, do you need a bed or do you need seating for 7? That is the only question you need to ask yourself.
Once you figure out what style of vehicle you need, then you look at different models.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cryptos , I can understand what you are going through. I have always had a full size pick up along with a Weekend warrior. My main complaint with the pick up was keeping cargo in the back secure and dry, I tried caps and covers but they weren’t the best. I also needed a vehicle to tow my boat a few times a year (4,500 lbs). I opted for my 2017 Pilot. I have carried cargo such as tall china cabinets etc and it tows my boat perfectly. When we go on 2 or 3 week road trips, all our luggage and cargo are secure and dry in the back. The Pilot does the trick.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cryptos , I can understand what you are going through. I have always had a full size pick up along with a Weekend warrior. My main complaint with the pick up was keeping cargo in the back secure and dry, I tried caps and covers but they weren’t the best. I also needed a vehicle to tow my boat a few times a year (4,500 lbs). I opted for my 2017 Pilot. I have carried cargo such as tall china cabinets etc and it tows my boat perfectly. When we go on 2 or 3 week road trips, all our luggage and cargo are secure and dry in the back. The Pilot does the trick.
If you can't keep your cargo secure and dry in the back of a truck, you didn't try. It isn't hard to do.
Also, these tall china cabinets must have been very narrow or multi pieces to fit into a pilot. The same 4' wide, less than 3' height, you are not fitting much in there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you can't keep your cargo secure and dry in the back of a truck, you didn't try. It isn't hard to do.
Also, these tall china cabinets must have been very narrow or multi pieces to fit into a pilot. The same 4' wide, less than 3' height, you are not fitting much in there.
Freak, I have been driving pick ups for over 40 years, I know how to keep things dry, but you try it when on 5 or 6 week trips and some of the cargo is valuable. And yes the China cabinet was a tall narrow corner unit, it was 73" tall, people could not believe that I could put it in the back of the Pilot.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've had my Pilot now for eight years and as my family has grown up and moved on, I no longer have the need for 3 rows of seats. It is nice however with the dogs to have them inside and have some room. Right now for larger hauling, I have a medium sized trailer which is great for those runs to town for larger items that don't fit inside or on the roof (i.e. drywall or full sheets of plywood).

My brother in law has a Ridgeline that is a couple years younger than my Pilot. Nice truck and I do like the convenience of not having to hook up a trailer to get mulch, hay or feed. I think I could make it work with the dogs and if I added a cap, the one would definitely go out the rear window in to the bed

For me it comes down to if you need the people hauling and inside secure storage, then look at the Pilot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts