Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In terms of car safety, Honda Pilot and Acura MDX both recieved 5 stars ratings except rollover rating(Pilot is still to be rated).
Please pardon my knowledge of cars... I heard from friends that Acura MDX is using premium gas, I wonder if that is necessary ? I find the gas cost can be high especially for a SUV.
Also, In terms of cost of vehicle, the difference is about $3.5k, is it worth it to get the MDX ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
$3.5K?

Wow- where have you found an MDX so cheap? (Or a Pilot so expensive?)
My main reason for buying the Pilot over the 'X is price. It would have run me at least $6K more for that gorgeous Acura. It was love at first sight, I'm just to dang broke for one ;)

Really the Value is in the Pilot- more cargo space, seats 8 instead of 7, BUT the MDX has a lot more goodies (sunroof!) and 20 more HP than we do.

Underpinnings and Engine are both the 3.5L V6, Really paying for LUXE and BADGE with 'X.

As for the Premium vs Regular Gasoline issue...I'll leave that to the experts here. Some of these Piloteers are Geniuses!

I went for the Pilot and glad I saved the $$$, I love it.

Welcome to H-P.ORG!!! You'll find a lot of nice folks here.:)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
pwm88 said:
Also, In terms of cost of vehicle, the difference is about $3.5k, is it worth it to get the MDX ?

Thanks !
If you haven't already I would ask this question on our sister sight acuramdx.org as well. That way you will get both sides of the story. I read at least one message over there where the owner claimed that the difference between his MDX and his neighbors Pilot was only around $1,500 when all was said and done. That was a while ago and I think actual cost to buy a Pilot has gone down by now. The owner who wrote the message didn't give any specifics about options.

Anyway the MDX is out of my budget but if it's not out of yours and you're like me you'll want to get perspective from owners of both vehicles.

Just keep in mind that Pilots do have the ability to fly. :bonk:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
MDX vs Pilot

Edmunds.com TMV

MDX Touring with entertainment: $39,800

Pilot EX-L RES: $31,138

TMV difference: $8,662.

Here's an excerpt describing how Honda boosted the HP in the MDX in 2003 from 240 (which is the Pilot's HP level) to 260:

By modifying the exhaust system, revising the integrated cylinder heads and installing shorter intake manifold ports, the all-aluminum VTEC V6 goes from 240 to 260 horsepower. Torque is increased from 242 to 250 pound-feet while still meeting ULEV-2 emissions requirements. At 17 mpg city/23 mpg highway, the MDX is more fuel-efficient than many of its thirstier competitors in the SUV class.

These changes allow the HP curve to peak higher (5,750 rpm vs 5,400 rpm) but, more importantly, the torque comes on much sooner (MDX 250 ft-lbs peak at 3,500 rpm versus Pilot 242 ft-lbs @ 4,500 rpm). Basically, the Pilot has last year's MDX engine.

Is this added performance (plus the sunroof) worth the price differential?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: MDX vs Pilot

sfhondapilot said:
Edmunds.com TMV

MDX Touring with entertainment: $39,800

Pilot EX-L RES: $31,138

TMV difference: $8,662.

These changes allow the HP curve to peak higher (5,750 rpm vs 5,400 rpm) but, more importantly, the torque comes on much sooner (MDX 250 ft-lbs peak at 3,500 rpm versus Pilot 242 ft-lbs @ 4,500 rpm). Basically, the Pilot has last year's MDX engine.

Is this added performance (plus the sunroof) worth the price differential?
well you get the
1. luxary tag
2. better sound systems
3. better interior finish, leather etc
4. better tires

Ofcourse its always different strokes for different folks....

·
Registered
72 Posts
pwm88 said:
... I heard from friends that Acura MDX is using premium gas, I wonder if that is necessary ?
Thanks !
The Acura's engine is optimized for the higher octane. If you use the cheap stuff like the working class:D too often, you might end up with a slightly dirtier engine, not to mention less power and probably gas mileage.

Exactly how much of each? :confused:

I'll have to ponder it at the gas pump. (pumping good old regular!)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
pwm88 said:
In terms of car safety, Honda Pilot and Acura MDX both recieved 5 stars ratings except rollover rating(Pilot is still to be rated).
Yes, and I don't understand what's taking NHTSA so long. Vehicle rollover is not tested, it's calculated based on weight, dimensions, wheelbase, and center of gravity. Did they crash their only test vehicle and forget to calculate rollover beforehand? :confused:

Please pardon my knowledge of cars... I heard from friends that Acura MDX is using premium gas, I wonder if that is necessary ? I find the gas cost can be high especially for a SUV.
The MDX and Pilot have the same basic VTEC engine but are different (DOHC vs. SOHC), resulting in 20 additional HP. I think the transmission is slightly different too. The Pilot engine has a 10:1 compression ratio, so, I can't believe it takes regular, but it does. If only the heads are different on the MDX and it has the same compression, you may be able to run it on regular. If you buy an MDX, try a few tankfuls of regular. If there are problems you'll know it. If not, you're better off with regular. You'll probably still have to resort to premium for more demanding trips (heavy loads, mountains, etc.) and certainly as the vehicle ages.

Thanks !
Just be sure you're comparing apples to apples. The difference between the Pilot I bought and the MDX I would have wanted was at least 6-8K. I was already spending a little more than I wanted, which I usually do with a car and, as always, I'm glad I did. I didn't want to spend a lot more than my budget.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
acuramdx.org

Hi Florida_guy,
I have registered with acuramdx.org but the website forum refused to let me post any article ! not sure why, one possible reason is the web admin need to authorize me ?

Have ANYONE tried car consultant/broker company such as :
http://www.autopurchaseconsulting.com/
They claimed they could help me to search nation wide car dealer for best price of any new cars (even pilot and MDX) for close to dealer invoice. It sounds attractive to me, wonder if there is any catch...

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some people won't hesitate and pick the MDX. It is the "sportier" one ... I think.

If you're like me, you can compare until the cows come home, and you'll still be pondering one over the other ... :rolleyes:

No matter how/what, you'll find enough reasons to pick one over the other. They're both excellent vehicles for different reasons. I "agonized" over the impending decision before deciding on the Pilot. I had my eyes set on the MDX until the Pilot appeared. I chose the Pilot mainly due to 3 reasons:

1. Cost (about CAD$8K to $10K price difference incl. tax and CAD$500+ per year more for premium gas).
2. Waiting period of 3 months for MDX vs. 3 days for the Pilot.
3. My boss drives an MDX -- an ex-colleague's advice: never drive the same vehicle as your boss. Either get something a lot more costly $$$ (they can't pay you enough to drive it) or buy something less. You'd be perceived to be overpaid ... :D

·
Registered
747 Posts
traction control

carsdirect.com also claim that pilot doesn't have traction control while MDX has. ??? Is that right? I remember seeing traction control is also standard on pilot.

·
Registered
747 Posts
better warranty

MDX is 48/50,000 while Pilot is 36/36,000
17" rim vs 16"

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: acuramdx.org

pwm88 said:
Hi Florida_guy,
I have registered with acuramdx.org but the website forum refused to let me post any article ! not sure why, one possible reason is the web admin need to authorize me ?
It was the same process for me here as over there. Send a message to Worm or Admin here about this problem. They are the same great, hard working guys that keep the MDX site working.

I'd try again first though because there might have just been a quirk in the system when you tried.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Re: Re: Pilot Vs MDX

krygny said:

The MDX and Pilot have the same basic VTEC engine but are different (DOHC vs. SOHC), resulting in 20 additional HP.
Both have SOHC's.

Acura's also have roadside assistance standard.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
you could "cork" the pilot to get 20 additonal HP....:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
It didn't work for Sammy...

...and I'm pretty sure that cork wouldn't really do anything for the Pilot's power -- though it might be a usefull to filter out more noise!

:D :D :D

ramirami said:
you could "cork" the pilot to get 20 additonal HP....:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Acura also gives you the 4/48 standard warranty.

I shopped both and my neighbor has an MDX. It was a no brainer to me unless you have to stroke your ego with your wallet. I'd rather use my money elsewhere. The MDX gives you more of some things (lux items, sunroof, warranty) but the Pilot gives you more of other things as well (cargo, seating, regular gas). I think Honda did a pretty good job separating the demographic. (Although I disagree with no sunroof on EXL).
The MDX tires are on skinny 6.5x17 rims vs Pilot's skinny 6.5x16 rims. They both suck IMO and would have needed upgrading anyway. I much prefer the much larger Webasto sunroof in my Pilot to the small stock sunroof in the MDX and mine has a lifetime warranty.
I spent about $3k in extras on my Pilot and it still way cheaper than an MDX and its just the way I like it.
But that's me...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Timchen - Pilot does not have VSC

To answer Timchen's question - No, the Pilot does not have VSC or VSA. That was added to the MDX in 2003. It might be added to the Pilot in 2004 (or might not). That plus the 2nd gen NAVI would be a couple of reasons to wait on the '04 Pilot to see if they are added.

There are more differences between the MDX and Pilot than might first meet the eye. It's a must to drive them both, preferably on the same day to get a real sense of the difference.

Many, many MDX owners are running regular gas without any problems. There are a lot of posts on that subject in the mdx forums.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Timchen - Pilot does not have VSC

Hi Tim,
VSC is one of the main reason why I am thinking of getting a MDX. I think SUV should equip with this feature, many other SUVs do...such as Mitsubishi, Ford...
Does anyone knows if there is an aftermarket VSC installation ?
I'm not particular about NAVI...
So if we were to wait for the Pilot04, which can come up to MSRP price.... I think it might be worth looking into MDX which has comparable pricing....

Bigrob said:
To answer Timchen's question - No, the Pilot does not have VSC or VSA. That was added to the MDX in 2003. It might be added to the Pilot in 2004 (or might not). That plus the 2nd gen NAVI would be a couple of reasons to wait on the '04 Pilot to see if they are added.

There are more differences between the MDX and Pilot than might first meet the eye. It's a must to drive them both, preferably on the same day to get a real sense of the difference.

Many, many MDX owners are running regular gas without any problems. There are a lot of posts on that subject in the mdx forums.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Re: Re: Timchen - Pilot does not have VSC

pwm88 said:
Hi Tim,
VSC is one of the main reason why I am thinking of getting a MDX. I think SUV should equip with this feature, many other SUVs do...such as Mitsubishi, Ford...
Does anyone knows if there is an aftermarket VSC installation ?
I'm not particular about NAVI...
So if we were to wait for the Pilot04, which can come up to MSRP price.... I think it might be worth looking into MDX which has comparable pricing....

:rolleyes:
Oh, without VSC, that sucks..... But not so bad. You may never be able to use it in the lifetime of your pilot. Not with my diving style. Pilot essential is a FWD plus VMT4 kick in when skip. Don't know why you will need a VSC to save life.

Navi, on the other hand, you can use it everyday. You can get yourself a after market one at very reasonable price.

·
Registered
747 Posts
To answer my own question, VSA or Vehicle Stability Assist is a system that will restrict power output to wheel (mute engine or apply brake) when skiiping detected to stop it. This is useful on ice. (now you know why I didn't think of it at first place, look where I am from).

With just 250ft-lb torque and AWD, it's almost impossible to have slip happen on dry or wet(I mean very wet) pavement. I believe, that will only happen on ice or mud. I know I won't be leadfoot driving under such a condition

1 - 20 of 66 Posts