Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First-time poster- been a 'phantom reader' of this excellent site for a couple of months. I've been researching new cars for quite some time and this board has been incredibly helpful- GREAT INFO.!

Finally went out and did some test driving last weekend with my pregnant wife (yep, time to get a 'safer' new car...). Besides safety, I want something I fit comfortably in and that I can see out of- I'm 6' 6" and don't fit in most cars. Want AWD - we do a lot of skiing- and something we can throw a lot of gear into. We both have truck-based SUVs right now (Pathfinder and Jeep Cherokee) and hoping to get something about the same size but drives smoother, ie. 'crossover'.

Test drove the XC70 and XC90. XC70 was a joke- could barely see out of it with the seat all the way down and back. XC90 was beautiful and my legs and head fit, but I found the windshield was angled too far back. The tinted stripe at the top of the windshield was right in the middle of my field of vision. Also, battery was dead in the first one we tried to test drive (kinda funny- dealer gave lengthy orientation and talk of 'Volvo quality' and then when he say's 'go ahead and start her up'- NOTHING but clicks!). Also, the flip-up door in the center console was broken- wouldn't close- in BOTH XC90s were in- annoyed my wife- she kept trying to close them! Quality Control issues... Not to mention the price when you add up all the necessary options. So both Volvos were OUT.

Next was the MDX. I fit, could see out, drove great, lots of bells and whistles, etc. I'm not a huge fan of it's design- a little 'rounded' for my taste. I've done homework and know it's essentially the same car as the Pilot but the bells and whistles cost an additional $8K.

Finally, Pilot time. Was great to finally get inside one. From exhaustive research, my heart was already set on one. It seemed to be the biggest inside, by far- I fit in fine. Very easy to see out of. Like the dash design more than MDX- I think the fake wood in MDX is a little cheesy... First surprise as we begin test drive- the gear shift. I'm able to shift down to drive but the shifting lever is almost touching the top of my right thigh. I try to do some downshifting into lower gears and actually have to maneuver my right leg (yes, they are long!) around the shifter in order to get into the lower gears. Hmmm. That wouldn't be much fun in an emergency situation on an icy road coming down from a long day of skiing... I know I have ABS but I still like to be able to downshift quickly.

I guess they put the shifter there in order to create all that usable space in the center console. Which is actually the source of my other main issue. The walls of it go up pretty high, I guess so you can stack all kinds of stuff in/on there (this is the area the gearshift would normally go). My wife doesn't like it from the start- she's sure there will be lots of crud that gets stuck down the side walls.

I turn out REALLY not liking it when the upper left edge of the center console wall starts to dent in my right calf/shin as I'm driving. My legs are so long that I need to kind of straddle the wheel- they hang off to the sides. I have a Cherokee now that has a minimal center console so I have plenty or room for my legs and knees. I really enjoyed the drive but felt the console digging into my leg after a few minutes, which was distracting. I was wearing shorts, so maybe it would be better with pants? Anyway, I imagined that on lengthy drives it would really be a problem for me.

So... I was a little disappointed. I've decided to do another round of test drives with the MDX and Pilot. I didn't recall any pain in driving the MDX and after scrutinizing both brochures, can see that that the center console is much lower ( not mention it has the gear shift there, which eliminates my shifting issue). I'll wear pants this time and ponder ways of maybe padding the center console in the Pilot?

The gear shift issue is a little trickier... I really had my heart set on Pilot but now am thinking I might have to ante up some extra cash in order to have a car that I actually fit in. Bummer...

Any other tall people out there experience these issues?

-DaddyLongLegs

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Since you mentioned that you like downshifting yourself, take notice that you can't shift to 4th gear in the Pilot, only 5, 3, 2 & 1.?? Pretty stupid design IMO. :(

You can get to all 5 in the MDX.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
or the seat has to be adjusted far back!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I prefer a column to a floor shifter. But you're right, the shift lever is at too low an angle in park. They should have put the wiper/washers someplace else and started the shift lever up much higher (or put a dogleg/offset in it). I think every new Pilot owner has washed the windshield once or twice shifting out of park.

·
Registered
95 Posts
washing the windshield

It is not just new owners. I have had mine since February and still wash the windshield by shifting frequentely. I also have difficulty keeping the lever from traveling straight through Drive on down to D3 or lower.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have to admit that I also washed windshield several time while trying moved to reverse. That's shift lever is a pretty stupid design.
However , I am still happy that I picked pilot. I have considered MDX and XC90, too. But then I decided my money should stay at stock market working for me while I work with this stupid shift level. So far my money has better luck than I do.:D Can't complian about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I still believe Honda needed to go with a Dash mounted 6 speed manual as in the Civic Si. Much more fun for every one.

Bloke

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm 6'2. Not quite tall as you, but tall enough to have some of the same concerns. For all negative ink the Pilot's shifter has recieved, I really haven't had a problem with it. It took me a minute to figure out how to manually shift down into the low gears. Once I got that it's really become second nature. I'm surprised to hear you say you had enough room in the XC 90. I checked one out, and the whole interior felt really cramped compared to the Pilot. The biggest thing I like about the Pilot is the headroom. I think it has the most of any passenger vehicle (non convertible) I've ever driven. For a guy like you to be really comfortable you may have to look at a full size SUV. But I think the Pilot is by far the roomiest of any of the models you've mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, my first time here. Just got the Pilot last night. All I can say is it is really a great value compared to everything else I looked at. I did drive the XC90 and was supremely disappointed. I was willing to fork out the extra money for the safety features but the engine was downright disappointing. The windows were small and getting a view out of the vehicle was a pain. My wife was really irritated at the width of the headrest. There is actually quite a bit of effort in trying to see over your shoulders to your blind spot. Well, enough Volvo rant. I've been eyeing the Pilot ever since my cousin bought an MDX. The MDX is very nice and does have all the bells and whistles. But I previously had a Dodge Durango and the MDX didn't seem anywhere near as big. The Pilot is the perfect fit for me and my family. I have yet to shift my wipers in to drive but I'm sure it will happen. Just wanted to come on here and interject my opinion on the XC90 compared to the Pilot.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
rod_b said:
Hi everyone, my first time here. Just got the Pilot last night. All I can say is it is really a great value compared to everything else I looked at. ....
...The Pilot is the perfect fit for me and my family. I have yet to shift my wipers in to drive but I'm sure it will happen. Just wanted to come on here and interject my opinion on the XC90 compared to the Pilot.
congratulations :2: :2:

yes the pilot is a lot for the price and is the best value out there...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to the family!

--Bret

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pilot vs. MDX

My wife has a2002 MDX and I have a 2003 Pilot as my winter car. The MDX has a slightly tighter and more refined ride. The engine in the MDX is a little peppier and more refined as well. I actually went to buy another MDX but when the Acura/Honda dealer wouldn't budge on price at the end of the model year, I went over to his competitor and he was more than happy to deal with me on a new Pilot that i just fell in love with. I like the MDX shift on the center console a lot better than the Pilot's but it's not that big of a deal for me but then I'm 5'8" not 6'6".There is no doubt that the pilot has more headroom which is just great. I also had a remote starter installed and heated seats to bring it up to MDX standards. To be quite honest, i love both the MDX and the Pilot.They both have their own attributes.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Pilot vs. MDX

Dr.Tom said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

I also had a remote starter installed and heated seats to bring it up to MDX standards.

[ S N I P P E D ]

Dr.Tom: With regards to your heated seats, are these aftermarket ones from some company, did you get them for both front seats, and do your heated seats still have the side airbags in them? :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for all your input.

Hoping to do another Pilot Test Drive this weekend. I'm determined to make it work, if possible! But I want to make sure I will be comfortable in the end... Headroom in unmatched. It's the console and shifter that are the only thing giving me pause.

Someone recommended the Murano- anyone been in one?

Thanks again,

Ryno1
aka 'DaddyLongLegs'

·
Registered
29 Posts
kemosabe,
The heated seats are indeed after market. I posted the name of them last fall and I've been searching for the post but I can't find it yet. If you are truly interested, let me know and I can find out the name of the manufaturer fro the place that installed them installer. The heated seats do not interefere with the seat sensor,

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Dr.Tom: Actually, I am interested because the wife doesn't like leather Pilot seats on cold winter mornings -- the only thing that might prevent me from going all the way with getting them is the price tag. Before you search your archives, do you recall (roughly) how much you paid for them? :8:

Thanks!!! :4:

·
Registered
29 Posts
They were pretty expensive; $250 per seat if I remember correctly.

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Pilot came with Leather seats. The $250 per seat was to install the heaters in the leather seats. In other words, the installer just put the heating elements in the seats. This included labor but was not for the purchase of seats.

Tom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts