Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Pilot has been great for the 50k miles I've put on it. I acquired it at 125k. As far as I'm concerned the car is amazing with one exception...the transmission. Honda apparently knew this too and made some changes installing a modified version in 2005, which corrected some issues from earlier models. Does anyone know when or if the MDX received the same upgrade. I assume the transmissions are the same but I'm unsure of the years. I'm looking for an 05 Pilot or MDX equivalent for a family member...Possibly myself if I find a nice one. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't look for a 2005. Look for 06-08. The 05's had problems where the radiator would fail and contaminate the transmission. Honestly Honda transmissions are a mystery to me. Odysseys had problems, Acura TLs had problems and even the Accords did. Maybe they were too weak, or they weren't clear on what maintenance to do and how often.
I also think a lot of people don't treat their cars very well and that obviously can lead to failures.

·
Super Moderator
15,209 Posts
The radiator problems on 05 seem to be in the early part of the production year. Didn't stop me from pre emotive replacement (after a friend's early 05 had a failure) Prior to a holiday seasoon 2500 mile drive with car full of family.
the 03/4 recall solved the transmission problems there.none of the 03-05 Pilots I knew, suffered from failures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the radiator failure, I have 15k on my fix and massive flush. This is actually why I'm interested in 05. They're a little cheaper than 06-08, and from what I've read have a slightly modified transmission. If I were to purchase another I'd immediately swap out the radiator. What I more interested in is whether or not the MDX has the same transmission, and when or if Acura did the same mods that Honda did in 2005. I believe people are a little more afraid of owning an Acura because it's a luxury car which is why the price is a little lower here in Southern California for the MDX as opposed to the Pilot, even though it's pretty much the same car. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had the radiator failure, I have 15k on my fix and massive flush. This is actually why I'm interested in 05. They're a little cheaper than 06-08, and from what I've read have a slightly modified transmission. If I were to purchase another I'd immediately swap out the radiator. What I more interested in is whether or not the MDX has the same transmission, and when or if Acura did the same mods that Honda did in 2005. I believe people are a little more afraid of owning an Acura because it's a luxury car which is why the price is a little lower here in Southern California for the MDX as opposed to the Pilot, even though it's pretty much the same car. Thanks
Ok that makes sense. I am a bit curious how the MDX would be cheaper. I will say that my mechanic advised against the MDX in it's earlier years solely based on the increased price in parts. Obviously being an upscale Honda, the parts tend to be a bit more expensive. I'm not sure whether he was right or wrong but if you know Pilots then I see no reason to get a more advance/complicated car. But I think they did have transmission issues as well. Whether or not they have the same transmission, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You may be on to something here with the MDX ..considering that you would "borrow " the suspension mods that the MDX has to be able to get past the 2" only lift .. they have stuff we can only dream of :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Other than the better designed knuckles where you replace the hubs instead of pressing out bearings; the 2-piston brakes; and subframe mounting point braces, they are about the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts