Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have friends who have a Highlander and an Odyssey. Here are pics of our Pilot with the Highlander; will get some Odyssey pics too, probably next week when we all park our cars together at work.
Obviously it's a bit bigger than the Highlander; looks lots bigger from the back when they are parked side-by-side; not as big a difference from the front. The Pilot sits much higher off the ground in the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
angled view showing a bit of the fronts

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
view showing some of the backs of the vehicles

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Good Pics Havasu!

I was almost ready to buy the Highlander until I heard that Pilot was coming out about a couple of months later. Needless to say, the wait was worth it and I don't regret the decision one single iota.:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I actually was waiting for a specific color, but when it came in the dash and 1/4 center console looked like a Fisher-Price design and I passed on it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Havasu

I love seeing the comparisons. I think the Pilot is so much more than the Highlander, inside and out. Is your Highlander friend jealous?

·
Registered
919 Posts
If the Pilot were not available, the Highlander would probably be in my garage right now. I really don't need the third row and it really wasn't a matter of space as the Highlander had plenty of room for my family (wife, 2 kids) and all of our stuff. It did come down mostly to available options and interior styling. Mechanically, both are very capable and reliable. I do have to admit that I actually like the exterior styling on the Highlander a bit more. The Pilot is a little boxy, especially towards the back. Great comparison pics!

Chris

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Thanks for the pics, Havasu

ontheverge said:
I love seeing the comparisons. I think the Pilot is so much more than the Highlander, inside and out. Is your Highlander friend jealous?
Actually I think he's very happy with his Highlander. Like our Pilot, he waited months and months to get the color (interior and exterior) he wanted... waited for the '02 model to come out.
Hopefully Monday I'll get a pic with his wife's Odyssey as well. We all park in the same place.

xyzzy/Chris, the third row seat was exactly what caught our attention. We have just two kids, but the extra seating is important when we travel to Florida and take relatives out to dinner -- they live waaaaaaay out in the woods and we can't visit during the ride if we have to take two vehicles everywhere!

We took the Pilot out to dinner with 6 tonight - nice! Kids sat in the very back, watching "Lord of the Rings" on the RES - the now-proclaimed official "Pilot" movie!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Relatives wanting to chat during the car ride was the reason that a third row WASN'T on my list.:p Just kidding. I do like my in-laws. I keep telling my wife's mother that she is my favorite mother-in-law.:29:

Regarding the "official" Pilot movie, it turns out to be "Jimmy Neutron" around here.

Chris

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, here is the Pilot with the '99 Odyssey and the '02 Highlander.
Sorry the Highlander is cut off on the right. The sun was bright and I couldn't see what I was doing! It's the same Highlander shown above. Will try to get some more/better pics another day.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The three of them from the back

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yep, I actually had a deposit down on a Highlander, when I read about the Pilot in February. I was able to get the deposit back and plucked the money down on a Pilot a few days latter. The Pilot proves to be bigger, faster, handles better, more advanced 4wd, better snow/rain handling, better off road handling, has the third row, gets the same MPG and costs less. Also I think looks lots better. I really don't like the way the Highlander roofline starts sloping downward towards the rear. The Pilot is straight and strong more masculine!

Couldn't be happier!
Joe

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Great Pics, Havasu!

The Highlander really looks more like a wagon than an SUV when it's parked next to the Pilot!

:D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Highlander versus Pilot

I had negotiated a maxed-out Highkander for $1000.00 over invoice a week before the Pilot was released, but decided to wait and look at the Pilot in person. We had already driven an Acura MDX on several occasions but could not get a deal I was comfortable with. Thankfully, I waited for the Pilot!!!:2:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a2Pilot said:
The Highlander really looks more like a wagon than an SUV when it's parked next to the Pilot!
I agree. Actually, I sort of like that. I'm still getting used to driving the BIG car (my beloved small Saturn SL2 is now being driven by my better half, who claims he'll get door dings in his school parking lot.)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nice comparison shots.

The Highlander does look like a wagon rather than a SUV, doesn't it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great Pics Havasu.
Some day I'll get a digital camera.

Many people think the Highlander is a lesser vehicle than the Pilot because of size and lack of a third seat. If you need the size or seat there's no comparison.
We've got both and I like both very much for different reasons.
I'll post a summary of differences as soon as I can.

The Pilot is substantially larger and does handle better when pushed but conversly it floats which the Highlander never does.
For every item I find I like in the Pilot I find something I like equally in the Highlander. They are very different vehicles.
Build quality, the Highlander defineately wins.
As for AWD so far I'm not impressed with the Pilot but winter will tell.
When I had to move two recliners, they both fit in the Pilot (no problem), the Highlander (just) fits one.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I agree. I believe my friend is quite happy with his Highlander. When his family travels, they go in the Odyssey minivan; the Highlander is his "other" car.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a promised other view of Pilot and Odyssey ('99)
You could fool me that they are built on the same base.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts