Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I spent a lot of time in an Escalade EXT over the past few days, and I had a couple of things I wanted to comment on.

First and foremost, LEATHER.
The EXT has preforated leather like the Pilot. And guess what... it stretches just like the Pilot. I looked at the front seat which is sat in on a regular basis, and it looks just like my seat. And then the back seat where I sat, stretched quickly.
So... for those of you who thought it was just the Pilot with stretchy leather, it isn't. It seems to be the preforations that cause it. And I kept thinking, gee, my Pilot only cost about half what this thing did! By the way, the leather IMO is very comfortable in both vehicles.

Second is TIRES.
Guess what! Goodyears are on the EXT too. Honda isn't the only cheap manufacturer out there. I was surprised that Cadillac chose Goodyears. For that much money, I would expect, no demand, better!

The ride was nice in the truck, but I could never drive it. The back window is so small, I could never see behind me. Reminded me of two of my sister's Preludes - the ones with the really high back. I guess they were from the late 80s, early 90s?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't think that is is just the perforations that make it stretch. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with Leather for many, many years and it had perforations in the leather and my seats were not saggy at all. I have been in others JGCs with leather that also did not have a saggy seat problem. I will say that this was very thick and hard leather. It wasn't thin or soft at all. That may be one of the differences. I have only sat in a Pilot with Leather once, the day that I bought my non-leather EX, so I cannot recall what the leather was like.

Does the Escalade come with Goodyear Integrities or just with Goodyear tires? I can't imagine that Integrities come in sizes that large. According to Edmunds, the Escalade has 265/70R17 tires. Those are pretty big for a bargain basement car tire, such as the Integrities. My bet is that they come with something like Wranglers, which aren't exactly cheap. While Wranglers aren't outstanding, I would have preferred them to the Integrities by a wide margin.

If I were going to buy GY Wrangler's (which I'm not), I would buy SR-A's which rate ok, but which are upwards of $120/ea. For that you have many other options that are much better.

·
Registered
991 Posts
leather

The leather issue I believe it should not sag, but believe it to be a support problem.. maybe the stuffing or seat springs that need the attention.. I do not have my Pilot yet but already warned my dealer I will be coming back to get the leather fixed.. showed them pictures from this forum and other websites.. and they said it is unacceptable to them also. So I will let you know how Honda is going to fix this, (Gave them lots of warning that I will not be going away on this issue)

good luck
rob

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
r_hammel said:

Does the Escalade come with Goodyear Integrities or just with Goodyear tires? I can't imagine that Integrities come in sizes that large. According to Edmunds, the Escalade has 265/70R17 tires. Those are pretty big for a bargain basement car tire, such as the Integrities. My bet is that they come with something like Wranglers, which aren't exactly cheap. While Wranglers aren't outstanding, I would have preferred them to the Integrities by a wide margin.

If I were going to buy GY Wrangler's (which I'm not), I would buy SR-A's which rate ok, but which are upwards of $120/ea. For that you have many other options that are much better.
I think they were Wranglers. I was just surprised that Cadillac didn't spring for something better...

BTW -- the Escalade was purchased one week after my Pilot and is within 100 miles of the number of miles mine has, so I felt the leater comparison was important. I don't think we have bad leather in the Pilot, just comfortable!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the comparison isn't worthwhile, just pointing out that the perforations may not single-handedly be the problem. It certainly may be a contributor.

And I certainly wasn't implying that the leather in the Pilot is bad, only that it is different from my Grand Cherokee. It is because of the leather in my JGC that I specifically decided that I did NOT want leather again. I didn't like it at all. But to it's defense, it didn't sag.

My point was that it may be because the leather in my Jeep was very thick. However, that made it very hard and uncomfortable. Given a choice, I would choose comfort over looks every single time.

And my point with the tires was that GM didn't necessarily skimp all that much, they just maybe didn't choose the best tire. According to TireRack, GY Wrangler SR-A's are $98/tire for our Pilots, which is $36 more per tire than the $62 they list for our GY Integrities. The question is: Why did Honda skimp?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts