Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been to my local Honda dealer and was very disappointed with the "so called" third row seats on the local version of the Pilot, the MRV.

Has anyone out there seen the new 7 seat XL Trailblazer, or the new Volvo XC90?

I would be interested in the difference especially in the third row of seats. Pix would be great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I test drove the Trailblazer LTZ and didn't care for it. Personal preference on my part.

I would think you would get the most objective opinions on the other vehicles if you went to a forum dedicated to discussing those vehicles. After all, this forum is composed primarily of people who chose the Pilot.

There is a great online source with oodles of information on these other two vehicles. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post the link here so email me & I'll forward it to you if you are interested. Also, try doing a search on Yahoo for those vehicles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too drove and looked at the Trailblazer XL. The handling was very poor. The quality and fit of the materials was terrible. I felt like I was riding down in a hole instead of sitting on a seat. The price on the truck was $38K with lots of options. The final proof was to allow my wife, the primary driver to drive both. No comparison. She picked the Honda. If you need comfortable seating for 7 or 8 I think you should look at either a full size SUV like a Surburban or Expedition or a minivan.

If you think the seating in the 3rd row of the Pilot is bad try riding in the Volvo for an hour. You will be sick. There have been numerous posts on in this forum about the quality of the Volvo. Seems it has been converted to the Ford mentality.(Fix Or Repair Daily)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I know it is rare that the Pilots are being sold to the American community in Germany. Did not know you could also get them in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Wow!

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I consider the Pilot EX(L) (meaning activity tray in second row seats) to be a vehicle with comfortable seating for four adults, with 4 more smaller people, or 4 more for a shorter distance (such as, going out to dinner, not a long trip).
This is exactly what we wanted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, I don't know that I'd call them Nasty. But you gotta admit, everyone and their brother has either a Trailblazer or an Envoy.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I actually like the look of the TrailBlazer. Especially in that maroon color. Looks a bit more rugged than our Pilots. I just wasn't willing to pay that much for another lesson in GM build quality. I already have my degree from that school.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have to admit that I am a GM guy, and really thought about the Envoy XL. I read a couple of reviews and they were all really poor. I remember that they said that the XL was nothing like the standard Envoy, and the XL is only 1 foot shorter then the Yukon XL, so what is the point then.

My wife and I really liked the Pilot and she felt that she could drive it in town and park it without being freeked out. The 3rd seat is cramped, but we are all short in my family so I do not care, and we will not be using the 3rd seat all that much. I think I have used it once and that was just to see what it would be like to sit back there. For me it was not too bad, and I am 5'8", I can walk under the rear gate without a problem. I wish the rear gate window opened, it does on our BMW wagon (but then again it is one of the only wagons that does) But I can live with it.

We both really like our choice and get lots of compliments on the Pilot

my $ 0.02 yet again

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh ya, I just looked on the Volvo site and priced out an XC90 and by the time you load it up you might as well get an MDX. It looks like the 3rd seat is a 1600- option.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'd be a little nervous driving a Trail Blazer that has been streeeetched out as an afterthought to hold more people.

:(

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tasha said:
Well, I don't know that I'd call them Nasty. But you gotta admit, everyone and their brother has either a Trailblazer or an Envoy.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. . .:rolleyes: And that means what exactly?:confused: :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here is my .02 ,

I am impressed with the Trailblazer look and horsepower. That's it.

The TB ride is terrible becuase of the solid rear axle. The Pilot's independent rides fantastic!. Third seat is uncomfortable in both unless your 4 foot taller or less.

Terrible ride (compared), more money...........wheres the motivation for the TB? Sure isn't resale value or dependability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Autobahn and other kind respondents,

They literally just started to sell the Pilot (MRV) over here last Wednesday. Went in to see it on Thursday hence my post.

The XL Trailblazer has not yet made it over, though the shorter version is selling well (the price for it is about $US 22K). Presumably GM would want to sell XL here at a premium of $2K. That would still sticker under the Pilot (MRV) which in low spec is about $US27.2K, hi spec (i.e. leather and a few other bits) $US 32.6. BTW, I agree about the comments of "nastiness" of GM products, having been forced to own several dismal versions myself.

The Volvo XC 90 (also not yet available here) would be priced even more at about $US 39-46K (my guestimate) and as for the third seats, well, I'll wait and see...

What impressed me with the Pilot is the build quality, engine, size, etc...After all its a Honda (I also own a S2000, an older style Odyssey, and Civic).

What I did like during my visit to the dealer, though I hate to admit it publicly is the current Odyssey. So as it would be a car primarily to lug the kids about hither and fro, probably the Odyssey would be the best choice...

Thank you all who took the trouble and time to respond.
:)

·
Registered
991 Posts
My wife has a 98 GMC Jimmy, and what a problem! nothing but!

also value went from 32 thousand to 14 thousand, Service is reallllllllllly bad, I feel when i go in the service dept i am going to be shot.. had to fight to get things fixed even under warrenty.... never again...

:16:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Drive Volvo products now and test drove the Pilot and Envoy XL

We currently own and are happy with two Volvos. However, the new XC90 was a brief consideration for us (didn't test drive). Reasons include: cost, first year vehicle, and the 3rd row leg room looks even less than the Pilot.

We did test drive an Envoy XL and Pilot on successive nights.

The Envoy XL was first and we were impressed with the number of gadgets and do-dads available on the demo model. Acceleration was good and the third row comfort was best in class (even for adults).

The Pilot was second and therefore had to 'beat' the Envoy to stay in contention. The Pilot had better acceleration (go VTEC), less gadgets and do-dads (for me, that's good) and was noticeably wider and spacious.

Pilot received the winning vote from my wife, who will drive it 85% of the time, from me and from our kids, from the 2nd and 3rd rows. Our shopping list reduced to one.

Every time I see an Envoy XL on the road, it looks too long. Every time I see a Pilot it looks like a couple extra inches in length would help out. I'd prefer the compromise of the Pilot's length over the over the top styling of the Envoy XL.

My .03

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gopilot,
Love the sick smilie!

vellinga,
I agree, the rear third of the Envoy/Trailblazer does looks unbalanced. As for the gadget do-dads, are only something else to worry about going wrong, who needs them (and on a GM, well gopilot says it all). GM cars are best left for the rental fleets, not for private citizens...

·
Registered
46 Posts
xyzzy said:
I actually like the look of the TrailBlazer. Especially in that maroon color. Looks a bit more rugged than our Pilots. I just wasn't willing to pay that much for another lesson in GM build quality. I already have my degree from that school.

Chris
God, I love that line. I just received mine from Ford on the Explorer Sport Trac. Expensive diploma!

Ted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts