Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I've always liked about my wife's 2016 Touring is the good turning radius. My daily driver is a '98 Accord which also has a good turning radius and with either vehicle I can make a U-turn on the street in front of my house. However, with my Accord I have make sure I am lined up very close to the curb when I start the U-turn otherwise I might cut it too close and end up having to do a 3-point turn. The Pilot on the other hand is much more forgiving and I end up with room to spare. I would of thought the Pilot (being the bigger vehicle) would need more room. So out of curiosity I looked up the published specs on both vehicles and they show the Pilot should need and extra 3 feet to complete a U-turn compared to the Accord. How can manufacturer specs be so different than real world impressions? Is it all in my head? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Indeed the '16 Pilot has exactly 3-feet more on its turning diameter, than the '98 Accord.
The Pilot, with its 39.4' of turning diameter, it has a steering ratio of 16.0:1 and it takes 3.14 turns (lock to lock).
The Accord, with its 36.4' of turning diameter, has a steering ratio of 16.0:1 takes 3.11 turns (lock to Lock)

I would imagine the specs are correct, and anything practical in the real world testing, may have to do with either user error, user perception, or in severe case scenario, a mechanical issue with the Accord.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would imagine the specs are correct, and anything practical in the real world testing, may have to do with either user error, user perception, or in severe case scenario, a mechanical issue with the Accord.
This is exactly what I thought. It just baffles me how different It seams (to me) in real life. I honestly would have bet money on the Pilot if I hadn't seen the specs.:unsure:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts