Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Pilot just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip from Kentucky to Wyoming, around Wyoming camping, then returned to Kentucky.

Here are some pictures.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First the Pilot at Libby Flats, highest point in the mountains
west of Laramie, Wyoming. Elevation 10,847. This was June 14, and some snow was still around.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another one from Libby Flats.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is our Pilot at Green River Lake, near Pinedale, Wyoming.
If it looks dusty, it's because we drove a 25 mile dirt road to get here. No shakes or rattles since, though, still a sturdy vehicle!

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the Pilot in the Grand Tetons, just north of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. You can see the camping gear trailer it is pulling, for which the Pilot got a trailer hitch before the trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here she is at the south entrance to Yellowstone.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here we are at Lewis Falls, just inside the Yellowstone entrance.
Notice the trees behind the Pilot. Damage from the 1988 fire was visible everywhere, but the forest is regrowing already and there are many different plants growing to provide more nutritious food for the buffalo, elk, etc. as a result of the fire.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we are at the Continental Divide. Actually, it's one of several inside Yellowstone Park.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next the Pilot ventured out of Yellowstone and east to Cody, Wyoming, where we took in a rodeo (in extremely high Wyoming winds!) but alas no Pilot photos at the rodeo. The horses starred instead.

Here is the Pilot in Shell Canyon, in Northern Wyoming, further east of Cody.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shell Canyon was quite majestic, here is another shot that still doesn't capture all the colors in the layers of rock.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And our last stop, Devil's Tower.
We watched "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" on the RES on our way. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more of Devil's Tower. It changes drastically depending on your point of view, and the sunlight/cloud cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And back home!
Total miles about 4,500.
Mileage averaged from about 16 to 21 mpg, but almost all of it
was with very UNaerodynamic cartop carriers (not what's shown in these pictures) or pulling the trailer. We had VERY high winds a good part of the trip, and of course a lot of it was through the mountains of Wyoming.

Pilot performed like a champ. No problems whatsoever.
We're glad to be home!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Very cool pictures! I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves and had no troubles with the pilot! We will be leaving for yellowstone ourselves in less then a week! Hopefully we will be trouble free as well. I question what our milage will be though, because we have a larger trailer to tow.

Matt:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
to m-mmyer re: mileage

Depending on the size of your trailer, I would suspect about the same mileage we got. Most of our loss was due to wind resistance. It was kind of like smoke at a campfire, no matter which direction we were headed, it seemed we were always headed into the wind. Unless you are pulling a really huge trailer, I don't think you will notice the drag from the trailer as much as you will notice the wind. I am probably not telling you anything new, but just be sure to maintain proper air pressure in "ALL" your tires, Pilot and trailer. Good luck on your trip. We really loved it out there, (take along plenty of insect repellent; mosquitos are vicious.) The scenery and the animals were unbelievable. We saw everything we wanted to see except a moose. If you see one, be sure and take a picture for us.

tibbitts, and havasu,

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Great photos havasu! The Pilot looks really good in the outdoors. Glad to hear that you had a smooth vacation.

·
Registered
330 Posts
m-mmeyer said:
We will be leaving for yellowstone ourselves in less then a week!
Havasu's photos make me want to go back to Yellowstone again. m-mmeyer, if you get a chance, head out to Hayden Valley in the relatively early morning. The cool, crips air and mist over the lakes is trly spectacular. Last time I was in Yellowstone the family slept in when I went out for some morning photos. A large herd of bison was near the road, so I rushed back to the cabin, woke everyone up, and dragged them to the same place. The bison herd started moving toward the highway, so we stopped in their general path (on the road of course). The entire herd of perhaps 100+ bison walked right around our rental car. I was too breathtaken to shoot a single photo of this truly awesome sight! In hindsight, it was probably a pretty stupid thing to do, but we weren't belligerent in any way and the bison just kind of ignored us as they walked around our rented Buick.

May you have equally memorable experiences on your trip! Enjoy!

- shutrbug

P.S. Here are a few images from a few years ago. (no Pilot then, though!)

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
In Grand Teton National Park:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Welcome back, Havasu!

Beautiful photos of your trip! (you too shutrbug! You and member 01r1 are both extremely talented )

Nice to have you back here again, Havasu!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
WOW - how did I miss these pictures originally?!?! the first ones are of one of my ALL-TIME favorite places: Snowy Range. It is less than a 3 hour drive from my place and I try to make it up there at least once a year. Great for camping, hiking, fishing (if you fish) and for riding on the fire roads on a motorcycle. There are also all sorts of snowmobile trails up there.

Did you stop at Lake Marie? That is my FAVORITE spot!!!

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts