Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Honda Pilot. Fantastic suv served me and my family very well for 4 years. But about a year ago stupid me was trying to save a little gas and coast down a big hill section on my way home. While doing this I bumped the lever past neutral and into reverse for like 5 seconds while moving forward at about 35mph. Truck did not Like that. After that I had a very sporadic intermittent grinding when put in reverse. It would grind For a couple seconds until it caught something. This would happen randomly and maybe once a week. Unfortunately my luck ran out a couple days ago and reverse did a 10second grind then poof reverse was gone. Forward still is fine. Any ideas what might have Broke on me? I’m thinking whatever internally selects reverse, or maybe the reverse clutch basket teeth are/is broken. either way the one I have has to come out and I’m shopping for a new used transmission. I found one from an 06 that would be great but guy Selling its son says it’s not compatible to swap. The labels are both bvga though?!?!. 1st picture label is mine and the Second is the one I’m considering. Will this work? Thank you all very much for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
I have a 2005 Honda Pilot. Fantastic suv served me and my family very well for 4 years. But about a year ago stupid me was trying to save a little gas and coast down a big hill section on my way home. While doing this I bumped the lever past neutral and into reverse for like 5 seconds while moving forward at about 35mph. Truck did not Like that. After that I had a very sporadic intermittent grinding when put in reverse. It would grind For a couple seconds until it caught something. This would happen randomly and maybe once a week. Unfortunately my luck ran out a couple days ago and reverse did a 10second grind then poof reverse was gone. Forward still is fine. Any ideas what might have Broke on me? I’m thinking whatever internally selects reverse, or maybe the reverse clutch basket teeth are/is broken. either way the one I have has to come out and I’m shopping for a new used transmission. I found one from an 06 that would be great but guy Selling its son says it’s not compatible to swap. The labels are both bvga though?!?!. 1st picture label is mine and the Second is the one I’m considering. Will this work? Thank you all very much for your help.
Are the differences between All Wheel Drive and 2 Wheel drive? Your transmission replacement must match. Just a brief look at the photos, they do not.

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,488 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 2006-2008 transmissions are different. Go to car-part.com and put in your information. You will be able to find transmissions that match your car perfectly. There are too many examples of people buying the wrong engine/transmission for their car. Honda makes it complicated so be sure everything matches.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,787 Posts
But about a year ago stupid me was trying to save a little gas and coast down a big hill section on my way home. While doing this I bumped the lever past neutral and into reverse for like 5 seconds while moving forward at about 35mph.
Yeah, no bueno. Thanks for a cautionary tale I need to pass on to the kids.

Your transmissions don't match. Do what @Jack Vogt suggests. There's also Jasper, which has a pretty good reputation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts