Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where to find this sticker? There is the sticker on the car pumper beside the hitch saying 5000 lb. do you mean that one?

Do you know if touring already comes with cooler from manfacture ?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,092 Posts
You should see something like this.

Also, if you haven't done so already, read the section in the manual about towing a trailer completely. The sticker is misleading in that it is indicating max trailer weight. That does not mean you can tow a 5K trailer. It all depends on the number of people, their gear, the gear in the trailer etc. It's much more complicated then buying a trailer that weighs say 4990 pounds and thinking you can now load it up, toss the wife and 3 kids in the vehicle with their luggage and take off.

·
Administrator
5,092 Posts
Do you have a break controller installed. Not sure about Canada, but in the states generally you must have trailer brakes on a trailer that weights over 2000 or 3000 pounds, depending on the state. You definitely do not want to pull anything of any weight at all without trailer brakes for which you will need a brake controller.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are photos from grill ..not sure if it is clear enough.

I think it is the cooler, does it starts automatically? Or it has a separate switch?

Sorry if the questions looks stupid ..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if I have a this break controller, where should I find it ..
However in the back of car beside the hitch, there a plug .. looks like a cable will be connected to the trailer through this plug.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The ATF cooler does not require a switch. It’s always in the loop. The pic you are showing is the 7 pin connector for the trailer harness. The brake controller is usually attached under the driver side dash. The brake controller is not included In the towing kit. The towing kit comes with a cable connector and pigtail used to interface with a brake controller. If you are purchasing a trailer from a dealer, they will be able to help you.

·
Administrator
5,092 Posts
Not sure if I have a this break controller, where should I find it ..
However in the back of car beside the hitch, there a plug .. looks like a cable will be connected to the trailer through this plug.
That is the wiring harness plug for the lights, brake lights, backup lights as well as passing the signal through from a brake controller if you install one. This it what a standard brake controller will look like.

This is a Curt hidden controller. All you see is the dial in the upper left hand corner. The box is hidden under the dash

Generally it will be under the dash in plain site or if it is the hidden type then you will have a controller knob. Honda does not have a brake controller, it is an aftermarket add on. The vast majority of brake controllers are installed inside the vehicle. It is designed so you can control/balance the braking of the trailer with the vehicle. They generally have a dial or knob of some kind that will be numbered from 1 to 10 for the varying levels of braking applied by the trailer brakes.

There are on the market brake controllers that you mount to the trailer. I am not fond of them as I do not like having a key fop to change settings. There are times, hills etc, that you will change settings on the fly and I want to know what setting I am at. There also are a few that plug into the plug you pictured that you then plug the trailer harness into. I am not fond of them as they are bluetooth operated from you phone. If you loose bluetooth connection then you no longer can change the settings.

Have you purchased the trailer yet, are you renting or are you just looking at this point?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will rent u-haul trailer to transport furniture.

I am confused now, if the break controller unit is not here .. what is the plug in the back of my car doing ? I thought that it will transfer electricity for lights and controls the breaks of the trailer when I use the breaks on my car.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The U haul trailer you linked to does not require an electronic brake controller. It has what are known as surge brakes. You will need a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter for the trailer lights such as this:
Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Administrator
5,092 Posts
I will rent u-haul trailer to transport furniture.

I am confused now, if the break controller unit is not here .. what is the plug in the back of my car doing ? I thought that it will transfer electricity for lights and controls the breaks of the trailer when I use the breaks on my car.
First, that trailer is not big enough to probably need or have vehicle controlled brakes so it isn't a problem.

The connection harness with plug that you are talking about is to basically turn the back of the trailer into the back of your vehicle for safety purposes, ie brake lights, turn signals, backup lights etc. The second function, when needed is to connect to and power any and all auxiliary functions such as trailer brakes, and things like exterior running lights if a trailer is so equipped. It will also allow for the vehicle to charge things like batteries in an RV.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.