Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How fast have you had your Pilot???

You can cruise easily at 90-95 mph, no prob.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have done close to eighty, I will wait a bit more until we reach past 2000 miles on the Pilot. And because my pocket is a bit dry so a ticket at 90mph wont help.

:D

But I will try to pass 90 one of this day. Properly an easy thing to do on the Pilot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have hit 100mph. Getting there was pretty easy but once I got to the century mark I had trouble getting any higher. Seems like the drag was pretty bad and the engine was dogging hard. I am used to 350 horse cars meant to go very fast so the 100 mark was a little disappointing, however just how often is it going to matteranyway? I think the 0-60 times are respectable and I seem to get where I need to go in just about the same time as i did with my car. Maybe I am just getting old but the speed of the pilot is good enough for me.

Earl

·
Registered
49 Posts
Speeding in a Pilot

I have had mine up to 90 mph on the highway. I usually never drive it that fast because of my wife and infant son are in the vehicle with me. Seemed to handle OK at that speed. The brick like aerodynamics and softer suspension of the vehicle make it kind of floaty at those speeds. It has plenty of grunt to run acceptable speeds on the highway. I cannot compare it to my M3 for speed and handling. I have had it to 139 mph so far. (The chip limits it from going any faster.)

:rolleyes: Shhhhhhhhhh, Don't tell anybody!

It is a very hard transition to go from the car back to the SUV. When I go around corners it scares the bejeezus out of my wife.

She says, "Slow down we are not in your car." :13:

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Pilot was not designed for high speed. With 8 inches of ground clearance, a stubby nose and only a moderately raked windshield this is not what I would call a "slippery" vehicle. I do not know what its coefficient of drag is but I am sure it is quite high.
At speed the air underneath will start to push up and that's why it feels floaty.

I'm sure at 80 it is probably still quite stable but at 100 you should be in a Porsche , BMW, MB, Audi, or any exotic over $100k.

#09131 SS EX

·
Registered
316 Posts
Drove 400 miles, mostly on cruise control, @ 80-85 mph on a trip to Los Angeles w/ no problems at all. The pilot behaved very well. I was really impressed. No clicks, rattles, or excessive wind noise, just that window s c r u n c h. (I really need to get that fixed...)

·
Registered
335 Posts
The problem I find with the Pilot, is in the 70-80mph range it cruises so well you don't realize how fast you're going, unlike my Honda Prelude. It’s a good problem to have, just need to be aware of it. While I occasionally like the quick trip to the top end...being an ex motorcyclist, cars use to be racing me and I hadn't even opened the throttle...when I realized they were, I'd wave by by.... just before putting them in my rear view mirror...would piss them off bad... in any case with the PILOT I'm glad its built very well for where I drive 95% of the time, when on the highways, 60-80mph.

Joe

·
Registered
797 Posts
100MPH no problem!

100 MPH is no problem in the Pilot. Still breaking it in so I will have to do further testing on the Autobahn after I get past the first 600 miles. Understand that it will top out at 109MPH - bummer. :(

For those that think exotic cars are required for 100MPH, I regularly drive 100-120MPH in my 1999 Honda Accord EX with a 4 Cyl Engine. It just loves those speeds and is rock solid. Only problem with it was when the weather stripping on the front window came loose after too much head wind. Dealer fixed it under warrenty. ;)Understand the Accord is governed at 130MPH. No matter what, I still get passed.

Remember, in Germany, keep to the right, unless passing! :cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Autobahn, you are correct and my comment about 100k exotics was both untrue and snobbish and I apologize for it. I would add that I do not own a 100k vehicle and the most money I have ever spent has been spent on the Honda Pilot.

My point was that there are vehicles specifically built for high speeds. I agree that a Honda Accord which sits very close to the ground is a candidate for that category as are many other vehicles priced well under the cost of a new Pilot. I also think the Pilot at 80mph is quite stable although I have not been there yet with mine.

I will say that after pulling about 1400lb fishing boat to Maine and back with it , it is one of the most stable vehicles I have ever towed with. It is quiet, goes where it's pointed and seems, even with the Goodyear Integrity tires, to behave itself on wet pavement.

That said, I will be looking forward to your future comments as to the cabability of the Pilot at high speed. It is usually too conjested around here to find 100mph.

#09131 SS EX

·
Registered
39 Posts
95 mph

I had our Pilot up to 95 mph briefly and was very impressed by how stable it felt at that speed. Had the cruise control set at 85 mph and it cruised effortlessly. The Pilot is a great vehicle for a long road trip. We made an 880 mile trip last Sunday and I found it to be very comfortable.:cool:

·
Registered
797 Posts
100MPH+

Well, still breaking it, but had to vary the RPMs per the manual. Decided to quit being a slowpoke on the Autobahn and really give it some gas. The engine settles in good around 95 MPH. Got it up to 105MPH and did some long stretches at 100MPH, although you got to keep giving it the gas to keep it from settling back down. Like how the RPMs stay low unlike my Accord (2500 vs 4000). Here is a picture courtesy of my co-pilot in the passenger seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: 100MPH+

autobahn said:
Got it up to 105MPH and did some long stretches at 100MPH, although you got to keep giving it the gas to keep it from settling back down. Like how the RPMs stay low unlike my Accord (2500 vs 4000). Here is a picture courtesy of my co-pilot in the passenger seat.
See, you should have told us the Pilot was so smooth at this speed you were able to take this picture yourself!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: Re: 100MPH+

Len said:

See, you should have told us the Pilot was so smooth at this speed you were able to take this picture yourself!
Actually it was, but I had already made the arrangements ahead of time. Plus, I figure I would error on the side of safety and keep my eyes on the road and at least one hand on the wheel. I have a Canon G2 with the flip out LCD which made it real easy for my friend to stick the camera in front of the steering wheel and see what he was shooting at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Top speed

Just back from a vacation ot the Outer Banks with my PILOT. I had the opportunity to get it up to 85 for short stretches. My PILOT felt rock solid and the steering wheel was absolutely still.

It's absolutely everything I expected and a breeze to drive at speed and in heavy traffic.

Passed many Highlanders the on the way and I was very happy I held out for the PILOT and its thrid row seat.the

·
Registered
143 Posts
Need to "speed" isn't there now

I traded a 260hp sports sedan for the Pilot.

I needed my radar detector in the previous car, because speeding (minus the kids) was a *priority. My radar detector looks pretty silly now, mounted on the Pilot's windshield.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: 100MPH+

autobahn said:
Well, still breaking it, but had to vary the RPMs per the manual. Decided to quit being a slowpoke on the Autobahn and really give it some gas. The engine settles in good around 95 MPH. Got it up to 105MPH and did some long stretches at 100MPH, although you got to keep giving it the gas to keep it from settling back down. Like how the RPMs stay low unlike my Accord (2500 vs 4000). Here is a picture courtesy of my co-pilot in the passenger seat.
Autobahn,

Thanks for the pic. I think it is way cool--so much so that I made it my wallpaper on my desktop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I second DJS. Get much above 80 or 85 in a top heavy vehicle like the Pilot and you are challenging the vehicle's handling limits. An emergency lane change at 90 or 100 in our BMW would likely be no problem because that speed is comfortably wihtin its design limitations. Like an oil tanker, a Pilot may be quite stable in a straight line, but I suspect you'd be rolling over and over and over for quite awhile if you had to change lanes quickly. If you routinely must travel that fast, you bought the wrong vehicle.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'll have to keep that in mind next time the BMW X5 blows past me at 130MPH (or the Mercedes ML 270 or the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the up and coming Volvo V90XC) - all SUVs with lots of ground clearance. The worst accidents over here are the motorcyclists. Besides, the real issue is not someone pulling out in front of you on the Autobahn because "there are rules!" It is the dead stops (that Germans call Stau's). The best thing about the flasher button on the dash is quick access. That is how you keep someone from rear-ending you at 100MPH when the Autobahn pulls to a dead stop to pick up the body parts from the motorcycist who past you ten minutes ago. Of course the other great Stau's are what we call Coke Can Stau's when everyone slows down real slow to look at a Coke Can on the side of the road and then take off. Can never figure those out!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
100MPH?

Have not got there yet, but would not expect it to be a problem.
My 175HP Range Rover weighing in at over 5000 got to 115 with out much problem (just lots of time).
My question was on the RPM.
I assume the pic was taken while coasting down, as the RPM looks a bit low for a steady 100.
What is the highest speed the Pilot will hold a steady without unlocking the torque converter?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts