Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have owned our Pilot for about three months and just before that if you had said my wife would turn from Toyota to Honda I would have laughed! Anyway, I doubt even an armed carjacker could get it away from her. Anyway, I like the vehicle, but my choice was the Acura; however, neither of us could justify the $7K differential. Ok, so now we have the pilot with most of the MDX goodies except for two that I would really like to have:

1) The memory seats. Why Honda did not include this is a great mystery--the only thing I can think of is that they (the Hondanans) felt that the Pilot would be a "personal" car and not need this unbelieveably convenient feature. The memory thing is like power windows--once you have them you can't imagine being without them.

2) The nifty moving mirror. On the MDX, when you put it into reverse the passenger side side-mirror tilts down so that you can see better. This feature came as a surprise to us and it is just an electronic module that drives the mirror when in reverse and puts it back when you are no longer in reverse. Of course, it may require a special harness or special mirrors, but given what i have already seen--I doubt it.

Anyway, I plan to pursue these two items and any insider info anyone might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harley Myler

·
Registered
804 Posts
For me, by far, the greatest feature missing from the Pilot is the Vehicle Stability Assist. The additional safety factor is worth it for me. Also, I wouldn't mind the sound system in the X. Upgrading the Pilot would be a lot of work.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The little bags of tricks and gadgets incorporated into cars is what is used to differentiate the luxury line from the standard consumer models. If all these things were on the Honda, then why buy an Acura ... You can't win in business with good looks alone !

PrG

·
Registered
43 Posts
PrG said:
The little bags of tricks and gadgets incorporated into cars is what is used to differentiate the luxury line from the standard consumer models. If all these things were on the Honda, then why buy an Acura ... You can't win in business with good looks alone !

PrG
Honda should never use the missing features to differentiate the luxury line from the standard. I think Acura should differentiate themselves from Honda by providing higher level of services, better quality on workmanship and better material (Sound System, better grade leather, HID etc.) used on their Vehicles. Some may agure that Acura/Honda are doing all that.. but I think they are not doing a good enough job. This is why I would rather buy a Pilot instead of a MDX, becuase other then a few missing features, I can't justify myself to pay the extra 8k - 9k for a MDX. On the other hand, if I am in the market for Handlander vs RX300, I would jump at the RX300 and pay the extra money becuase I think it worth every single pennies for the step up. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a Pilot and my wife has a 2002 MDX that we purchased back in April. I get to make side by side comparisons every day.

I agree that I'd like the memory seats on the Pilot. That's so darn convenient that I get lazy.

The tilt passenger mirror turns out to be more cool than useful. I don't miss it on the Pilot because neither my wife nor I really use it on the MDX.

We both have Navigation systems. I can't believe they put a larger screen in the MDX than they did in the Pilot. Grrrrrr. I want that larger screen!

Integrated into the Navi system on the MDX is a trip computer screen that tells you the mileage since your last fillup, based on your current MPG how many miles you have left in the tank, you can check your MPG on the last 5 or 6 tanks, (it resets automatically at fillup), that type of stuff. I wish I had that in the Pilot. When we're not using the Navi in the MDX we always have it on that screen.

The center console on the Pilot is much better than the MDX.

The MDX doesn't have those cool reading lamps in the second seat like the Pilot does.

8 passengers instead of 7? Not an issue for us as we never use the third seat. And I'm not sure any normal human would fit back there anyway! :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ferdball said:
For me, by far, the greatest feature missing from the Pilot is the Vehicle Stability Assist. The additional safety factor is worth it for me. Also, I wouldn't mind the sound system in the X. Upgrading the Pilot would be a lot of work.
What's "Vehicle Stability Assist" ? :confused:

·
Registered
804 Posts
VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST

For enhanced control during acceleration, cornering, and sudden collision-avoidance maneuvers, the 2003 MDX is equipped with a standard 4-channel Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system that works in conjunction with the VTM-4, drive-by-wire and ABS systems. The VSA system enhances vehicle stability by applying brake force to each of the MDXs four disc brakes independently while also managing the throttle and ignition systems. An additional benefit is the limited-slip differential effect the system provides for the front wheels by applying braking force to a slipping wheel thereby redirecting driving force to the wheel with more traction.

Analyzing data that is constantly received from eight vehicle sensors monitoring speed, steering input and lateral G forces, the VSA system compares the driver's control inputs with the vehicle's actual response. If the actual response is outside a predicted response range - as can happen when cornering forces exceed the tires' performance capabilities - VSA automatically intervenes with an appropriate corrective action. In the case of oversteer, VSA applies braking to the outside front and rear wheels to counter the unintended yawing effect. If understeer is detected, VSA applies braking to the inside front and rear wheels and reduces engine power to help bring the car back onto the driver's intended course.

The VSA system in the MDX has been carefully calibrated to add handling stability and predictability without intruding on the process of spirited driving. Whenever the system is actively enhancing the vehicle's stability, an indicator light flashes on the instrument panel. In addition, VSA's stability enhancement and traction control can be turned off with a cockpit switch while still leaving the Anti-lock Braking System fully functional.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine are,

Memory seats is my # one and second would be sunroof. This is the first car I've owned with no sunroof and I miss it. I could also use the VSC. I hated the steering column tranny gage but we are now getting used to it. I'm hoping for a second generation navigation system like the one on the Accord and when is out (if) I will trade in my 2003.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts