Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

pilot tail gate foam 04-003

10916 15

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,327 Posts
This is the same issue as my wifes Odyssey. I have noticed it starting on my Pilot to. On her Ody, it's a constant problem we gave up fixing.

· Registered
79 Posts
My 04 VIN falls outside of the listed range, but I have this problem anyway. I guess I'll use it to start the list of things they need to fix.

· Registered
1,245 Posts
How is this related to the other TSB? TSB 03-060

I had foam tape added to my spoiler to stop the buzzing and rattling. Does this mean the tape they used in the first TSB is failing?

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I understand it, one is a noise issue, one unsightly. Yes, the foam can need redoing even if it was it "fix" an issue already addressed.

· Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, I'm a little late to this thread, but can somebody describe what the symptom is? I cannot understand from the TSB.

I have the interior foam separating from the roof in the trunk area. Is this that, or something else?

· Registered
2,419 Posts
Jay Patrol sentry posting in for Saturday morning:

Think I have seen pics posted on this be can't be sure by comparing since

:needpics:

· Registered
57 Posts
revragnarok said:
Yeah, I'm a little late to this thread, but can somebody describe what the symptom is? I cannot understand from the TSB.

I have the interior foam separating from the roof in the trunk area. Is this that, or something else?
Two separate potential problems. First, spoiler isn't seated properly and makes contact with roof. The TSB describes how to seat properly using a wood block.

The second one is the foam strip coming loose. Its a thin strip of foam (about 1/4" wide by about 4 ft long) that runs the length of the rear spoiler (center brake light) at the bottom (exterior of Pilot). Appears to be designed to protect the contact between the liftgate glass and the spoiler. The adhesive tape holding the foam to the underside of the rear spoiler is failing.

I removed the rear spoiler and reattached the foam strip with some weatherproof adhesive I had.

· Registered
13 Posts
This is upsetting. I had that foam strip problem a few months ago, went to the dealer and they told me that it's nothing and that it can just be pulled off by hand. I thought it was strange, but did it anyway. Now I see this...

· Registered
34 Posts
I noticed some creaking when I opened the trunk the other day and the 2nd time I did it the left side of the spoiler came off. I had to drive for a few miles to get home and the whole thing fell off (only being saved by the wire.)
So my question is if Honda will repair this without question, since I am obviously out of warranty? (I do have an extended warr. which is still in use, but may not cover body parts.)

· Registered
34 Posts
Well, they ended up fixing it after the regional person gave the go ahead. I never thought I would have so much trouble with a Honda, but I guess I should have expected it owning the < 400th version of a new model. At least they have stood behind all the problems.

· Registered
3,045 Posts
My '03 Pilot is showing the foam strip hangs down from the rear spoiler problem & three dealers wanted $280.00 ~ $310.00 + tax to have it fix. The District Parts/Service manager turn down the request for goodwill consideration after warranty.

Is it hard to fix this?

· Registered
2,574 Posts
john802 said:
...Is it hard to fix this?
Not really. Read the TSB instructions for the repair (in the first post of this thread) and judge for yourself. If you can't spin a wrench, find a relative or friend to help you out.

· Registered
3,045 Posts
tim.s said:
Not really. Read the TSB instructions for the repair (in the first post of this thread) and judge for yourself. If you can't spin a wrench, find a relative or friend to help you out.
After reading the TSB, I decided to tackle the repair. I think doing the timing belt/water pump repair was more challenging than this... base on the TSB instruction. ;) :rolleyes: :2:

· Registered
88 Posts
Are the TSB's time and or mileage related? I have a 2003 Pilot and just noticed the spoiler foam hanging down yesterday. Granted, I have had the vehicle 8 years so some stuff is just expected to need fixing. But $300 2 years ago seems a bit pricey for this fix.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.