Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Pilot summer solution

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mewillis 
#1 ·
Summer is coming, 3 digit temperature and dry heat. I know pilot has a heavy duty AC unit but it also has pretty big glass area, you know, the green house. Park outside under hot sun isn¡¦t the best thing to do but sometime you have to do it. How to keep pilot cool?

Wanted to install a pop up sunroof, but my local installer says those roof ridges aren¡¦t compatible with pop-up ones. Yet he can do it with powered sunroof. I end up getting weathertech weatherflector so I can open window a little while park. I will also put up the windshield shade.

I really like the pop up windows on some minivan, or rear window on 4runner which can open a little. Those are really helpful to vent hot air after you move your car. Unfortunately, pilot has a huge enclosed area at back. How to vent hot air out?

Any idea?

#2 ·
you've got the right idea with the vent shades. but i'd wait to see how its going to be before putting forth too much effort. Our Forester was also a greenhouse, but it didn't get nearly as hot inside as any of my sedans. My uneducated guess is that the upright windows block out more of that midday sun whereas the drag coefficient friendly sedans point more glass upwards and expose more interior space to that pesky sun.

The tinted windows in our EX should also help the situation. but your cloth will not be as painful to sit on in the heat as our leather. Its a crap shoot. we'll see.

#4 ·
I lived throught the hottest part of last summer in my Pilot, and trust me, the AC works fast! Unreal how quick it will cool the vehicle. I wouldn't be too worried about add-ons just yet.

#6 ·
I agree. He had a terribly hot summer last year, and the Pilot's AC work excellently!

#7 ·
regardless how strong your AC can get, you should still try to vent hot air as much as possible. For a comfort ride and also protect your interior. At least when your car is parked, you are baking everything inside and that will degrading leather, plastic and many many things.
Strong AC can suck out heat from your seat fast enough. So if you just drive to lunch, you can be in oven all the time.

#8 ·
Florida experience ------

Get the darkest tint on your windows that you can and use a sunblocker winshield cover when you park it.

Also to help cool it off faster when you do get back in, use those electric windows and roll all four down for the first couple of minutes and then let the A/C handle the rest.

Even with the black color, I've never had a problem with heat on this car. It's cool after less than two minutes of starting it up even on the hottest days. :1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.