Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot ES has 7500 miles.. and every now and then, but not always, stumbles or hesitates after letting off the gas. And of course the service tech can not recreate. Any others with same problem and possible solution? :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
???

Sttumbles how?
you sure it is not just an upshift oor toeque converter lock-up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iam not sure... I called it 'missing' but when described to the tech , he said stumble... sorta like a bump bump....could feel it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Although I've now only got 500 miles on mine and we've already had it a month I too have experienced what two different Honda service managers have called grade logic decel and they claim is normal operation and that the slight hesitation is caused by computer "thinking" and then usually a downshift from 5th to 4th. I still felt like there was to much drag (not the normal coasting feel) even after the downshift. Another member posted that he had much drag and that the dealership determined his front end toe was way off. Having knowledge of this, they agreed to check the toe and all four wheels were perfect. So, I'm learning to anticipate a little differently when operating this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but with my Pilot, there's a quite a noticeable stumble/hesitation/deceleration when I let go of the gas at anything above 80KM/H (50mph) and cruise down to that speed.

It almost feels as though the brakes are being applied, but I think it's the gear downshifting from 4th to the 3rd. I always meant to ask about that when I took the Pilot in for the first service.

Do any of you guys know if this is normal? I also notice the same when the speed appraoches 60KM/H (37mph) after I had let go of the brakes anything above that, but not with the same force of deceleration as it happens at around the 80KM/H.

It doesn't happen often, but you sure know it when it happens.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have not driven mine enough to try and determine the specific speeds but in general seems to occur frequently at any speed where the coasting would be common with foot off the gas. When I take my foot off the gas there is a very brief hesitation followed by a slight bump (the downshift according to the dealer) and then the coast but with much drag. On my way to the second dealership to have the alignment toe checked I took a route where we have an incline that is about l/4 mile long on a secondary paved road. While ALL the vehicles in front of me were intermittently braking to keep under the posted speed limit, I simply had my foot off the gas!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i'm pretty sure it's a normal thing. I have a 2001 odyssey and it does the same thing. I believe it's the engine automatically downshifting.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shifting up and Shift down

:p I am pretty sure it is normal. I have an Honda Accord 1992 and my Pilot 2003 they all act the same as trans shift up and down. In our family we have 7 Honda 2 Civic 1994 & 1997 and 4 Accord from 1992 - 1999 and 2003 Pilot the shifting are they same. Pilot accelerate more like Accord V6 very quick and quick respond.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts