Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2006 Honda Pilot had a gasket cover leaking and starting issues. Shortly after got engine light for random misfire. Took back to mechanic and put on code reader (P0300-P0306) each two times. Drove it until engine light started blinking. Then started to go into limp mode. I began losing coolant through the exhaust led me to believe I had blown head gasket; I chose to use the quick cheap fix with a can of block sealer. At the same time I wanted to resolve the car’s issues with the blinking engine light so I began you tubing Honda Pilot symptoms of random misfiring. Without going straight to the plugs and coils I started changing parts like the Manifold Pressure Sensor, positive crankcase ventilation valve. Cleared the codes drove good for a bit and then check engine came back this time with CEL & VSA light so read codes and again misfire codes and first code read a P2647 (variable valve timing) so I changed the vtec solenoid. Cleared codes and drove check engine came back and this time P0420 and still random misfires. Checked the coils and plugs found out I had a spring from one of the coils stuck in the # 3 cylinder from the #6 coil which was removed when troubleshooting misfire. I replaced plugs and bad coil. Oh yeah and I got another bright idea from you tube to put emissions cleanser in the gas tank for the P0420 code because I needed to get it ready for smog. Thinking this would be the end of my problems it gets worse. As I’m driving to get it through the drive cycles for smog after about 60 miles of driving my pilot goes back into limp mode and about a mile down the road I lose all power. Now I have coolant leaking again this time above the oil pan at passenger side near water pump or side of engine and the variable valve timing code is back. Oh and yes still having starting issues! What should I do next (before I throw my hands up and junk it)?

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
My 2006 Honda Pilot had a gasket cover leaking and starting issues. Shortly after got engine light for random misfire. Took back to mechanic and put on code reader (P0300-P0306) each two times. Drove it until engine light started blinking. Then started to go into limp mode. I began losing coolant through the exhaust led me to believe I had blown head gasket; I chose to use the quick cheap fix with a can of block sealer. At the same time I wanted to resolve the car’s issues with the blinking engine light so I began you tubing Honda Pilot symptoms of random misfiring. Without going straight to the plugs and coils I started changing parts like the Manifold Pressure Sensor, positive crankcase ventilation valve. Cleared the codes drove good for a bit and then check engine came back this time with CEL & VSA light so read codes and again misfire codes and first code read a P2647 (variable valve timing) so I changed the vtec solenoid. Cleared codes and drove check engine came back and this time P0420 and still random misfires. Checked the coils and plugs found out I had a spring from one of the coils stuck in the # 3 cylinder from the #6 coil which was removed when troubleshooting misfire. I replaced plugs and bad coil. Oh yeah and I got another bright idea from you tube to put emissions cleanser in the gas tank for the P0420 code because I needed to get it ready for smog. Thinking this would be the end of my problems it gets worse. As I’m driving to get it through the drive cycles for smog after about 60 miles of driving my pilot goes back into limp mode and about a mile down the road I lose all power. Now I have coolant leaking again this time above the oil pan at passenger side near water pump or side of engine and the variable valve timing code is back. Oh and yes still having starting issues! What should I do next (before I throw my hands up and junk it)?
I'm not gonna lie. It ain't looking good. But I'm not one to throw in the towel.
Is there any coolant in the oil?
If the vtec code is back, the gasket screen filter on the spool may be clogged.

Solve this and it might solve your misfire codes.
If you have coolant burning it's an obvious blown head gasket.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I'm not gonna lie. It ain't looking good. But I'm not one to throw in the towel.
Is there any coolant in the oil?
If the vtec code is back, the gasket screen filter on the spool may be clogged.
View attachment 148860
View attachment 148861
Solve this and it might solve your misfire codes.
If you have coolant burning it's an obvious blown head gasket.
If you open this up and it's not clogged you might need the whole part. Don't spend $257 cause Nail Grease said so.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Um, I'm probably the last person on this forum to say such a thing, as I always believe hope springs eternal, but if the above idea doesn't work out, I hope you have a trumpet. Time to play Taps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts