Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving through the middle of nowhere in Idaho with my 2006 honda pilot packed with family. Conditions on the road were wet. I was about to pull over to give one of my kids a bathroom break when the engine died. The engine still turns over but will not start. Unfortunately my insurance will only tow the vehicle 20 miles so I could not get it home to my mechanic. The error codes that come up are p0344 and p0340. Those codes are associated with the cam position sensor. The mechanic in the small town insists that the cam position sensor will not cause the car to stall once it is running. Can someone please confirm this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The sensor helps determine the timing of the fuel injectors and spark plugs ignition. If it doesn't time it correctly then the engine will shut off. So yes there is a possibility that the sensor could be bad.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Normally the cmp will not cause a stall once the engine is running, it's redundant to the ckp. If you unplug the cmp, normally the engine will start, may take a few tries though. The computer will see the ckp sending a signal, but no cmp, so it will ignore the cmp and use the ckp.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Are you back on the road? What fixed your issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the follow up. I am afraid it was the timing belt breaking. We are purchasing a different family car and giving the pilot to my nephew to fix. I know that these engines are interference type engines. Can anyone tell me if there is any chance that the pistons did not hit the valves?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Thank you for the follow up. I am afraid it was the timing belt breaking. We are purchasing a different family car and giving the pilot to my nephew to fix. I know that these engines are interference type engines. Can anyone tell me if there is any chance that the pistons did not hit the valves?
So I've heard, there is an extremely rare 5% chance that the belt broke when no valve was fully extended into the cylinder. If it were mine, since I do my own work, I'd find me a good used engine to swap it out.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Do you know if and when and what mileage the timing belt was changed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts