Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Honda Pilot and this morning after stopping at the gas station when I tried to leave the truck would crank but not turn over and then white smoke came out from the bottom and smells like burning plastic leads me to believe it is something electrical if you could lead me in the right direction and where to start first I would greatly appreciate it THANKS EVERYONE

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum look under the hood for the wires connected between the engine block and chassis one of them may have gotten corroded causing increased resistance and then when starting up that may have caused something to melt and/or burn also look for any wire insulation which is discolored as that will be a sign
of an electrical issue next time I promise to use punctuation if you do the same😁

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Morning road2cycle,
Thank you very much for this information. I greatly appreciate your time on this matter. The burn definitely had a very rubber burning smell and the location of smoke was lower right side towards the battery. I will start there and let you know how it goes. Thanks again, I hope you enjoyed the punctuation.....😇

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
I'd disconect the battery to prevent further damage and for fear of the whole vehicle going up in smoke. Then try to find my burnt wire. If it only smoked when trying to start, it's a wire likely associated with your starter, but the damage could be in the fuse box. The starter could be toast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd disconect the battery to prevent further damage and for fear of the whole vehicle going up in smoke. Then try to find my burnt wire. If it only smoked when trying to start, it's a wire likely associated with your starter, but the damage could be in the fuse box. The starter could be toast.
Thanks for the advice

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,092 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

I'm sorry that an issue with your Pilot brought you to us. There are many good members here that can offer advise on resolving the issue.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need forum assistance please use the “message” to contact any staff member.

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Lower right near the battery could be starter as Nailgrease suggested, wiring to the starter, or a large ground wire below the starter. Keep us posted with what you find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Morning road2cycle,
Thank you very much for this information. I greatly appreciate your time on this matter. The burn definitely had a very rubber burning smell and the location of smoke was lower right side towards the battery. I will start there and let you know how it goes. Thanks again, I hope you enjoyed the punctuation.....😇
Is the starter going bad? Maybe it’s not engaging or the armature is stripped or the flywheel is worn. If they don’t line up or can’t turn, it’s just going to spin and burn up. Sounds like a starter issue IMO. Best of luck!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

I'm sorry that an issue with your Pilot brought you to us. There are many good members here that can offer advise on resolving the issue.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need forum assistance please use the “message” to contact any staff member.

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang
Honored guest, our crack team of unpaid volunteers is suggesting starter and/or its cables. I concur.

And welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
10,850 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
You will need a decent length breaker bar and appropriate socket to loosen the two starter bolts. Everything else will be pretty straight forward. Disconnect the cable from battery negative before doing anything.
If you have to replace the ground wire I believe it is connected on both ends with bolts. That shouldn’t be too difficult.
When I replaced the starter on my wife’s Pilot a few years back getting those two bolts loose was the most difficult part of the job.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fingers crossed it’s not the timing belt! If the engines still cranks over, but does not start, its most likely not the starter. Usually when a starter fails, you get nothing when you turn the key to start.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
You will also need a torque wrench (and torque spec) when tightening the bolts. The torque wrench, when set to the specified value, will allow the bolt to be properly tightened.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your help it was the starter!!😇(y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.