Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took the car to Honda two times. Both times, they found a leak. We paid for the leaks to be fixed two times. They are claiming it was separate leaks. My Honda pilot smells like mold. The smell is still there. Every time I get out of my car I smell like the mold. Has anyone else encountered this with a 2016 Honda Pilot?

·
Registered
302 Posts
We took the car to Honda two times. Both times, they found a leak. We paid for the leaks to be fixed two times. They are claiming it was separate leaks. My Honda pilot smells like mold. The smell is still there. Every time I get out of my car I smell like the mold. Has anyone else encountered this with a 2016 Honda Pilot?
Have you tried changing out your in cabin air filter?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
We took the car to Honda two times. Both times, they found a leak. We paid for the leaks to be fixed two times. They are claiming it was separate leaks. My Honda pilot smells like mold. The smell is still there. Every time I get out of my car I smell like the mold
Describe the source of your leak(s) that were found and "fixed" as well as what the dealer did. Mold won't simply go away without some remediation. Wet carpets or carpet underlay or spores in the ventilation system can keep the cycle of mold growth to be an ongoing problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried changing out your in cabin air filter?
Yes. We also ozoned it. The first time, Honda said they found the leak and fixed it. The smell never went away. We took it back. They found another leak. Paid again for it to get fixed... Still smells...

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I am asking on this forum to see if anyone else is having this problem.
Your original leak problem may or may not be unique unless others chime in with their moisture problems. I would recommend lifting the carpets+pads starting in the area that was wet or is wet to inspect for moisture damage (old or new) and possible mold growth. Depending upon how long this problem existed it could be extensive requiring carpet+pad replacement after thorough mold remediation. Keep us posted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your original leak problem may or may not be unique unless others chime in with their moisture problems. I would recommend lifting the carpets+pads starting in the area that was wet or is wet to inspect for moisture damage (old or new) and possible mold growth. Depending upon how long this problem existed it could be extensive requiring carpet+pad replacement after thorough mold remediation. Keep us posted
Will do. Thank you for your input!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is the leak fixed now? Did you notice wet carpeting prior to getting the leaks repaired or was the bad smell the only symptom you noticed? Hard to tell from the work order where the leak was found. Common leak areas are along the roof rails, tail gate and front bulkhead behind the front fenders. $800 to fix the leak? Did they charge you $800 each for both fixes?
Search “water leak” in the forum and you will see water intrusion into the cabin is a common problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the leak fixed now? Did you notice wet carpeting prior to getting the leaks repaired or was the bad smell the only symptom you noticed? Hard to tell from the work order where the leak was found. Common leak areas are along the roof rails, tail gate and front bulkhead behind the front fenders. $800 to fix the leak? Did they charge you $800 each for both fixes?
Search “water leak” in the forum and you will see water intrusion into the cabin is a common problem.
Thank you so much! There wasn’t any wet in my car. It was only smell. They tried to charge us that again for the second leak, but my husband argued with them, and they discounted it. The second leak was a little over $600.00 to fix. All of the leaks are in the back of the Pilot. I believe both at seams... different sides.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
$750 top seal a seam leaking, that should have been sealed anyways from the factory?

I'd be raising total hell, I'd get arrested if they pulled this crap on me LOL

Reactions: aggrex and Carmie

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
😲 OH WOW!
I would have said... "I'm not paying that!" They're just seeing what they can get away with.

Reactions: Carmie

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you so much! There wasn’t any wet in my car. It was only smell. They tried to charge us that again for the second leak, but my husband argued with them, and they discounted it. The second leak was a little over $600.00 to fix. All of the leaks are in the back of the Pilot. I believe both at seams... different sides.
Wow. These are not wear and tear items. They are defects from the factory!!! Does Honda have no shame?

Reactions: Carmie

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
118 Posts
OP - investigate the carpet and upholstery in the vicinity of the leaks. If you spend any time driving around with your windows closed you may be exposing yourself to airborne mold spores that could make you ill. Pull up the carpeting and investigate the padding underneath. Check for teltail black spotting. Worry about your health first.

Whether the shop should have charged you is in the past now.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
134 Posts
As far as cleaning the carpet, I used to have a boat with moldy carpet from a bad shrink wrap job. Odor was mild and visible stain was apparent. I scrubbed with resolve carpet cleaner and it looked and smelled great, once dry. Cheap fix but required some physical work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts