Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great website. I thought I'd share my recent experience searching for and eventually buying a 2004 Pilot EX-L w/ RES in Denver, CO., since I benefited from information on this web site. What goes 'round, comes' round.

I just bought a silver Pilot with the Protection Package ("Pro" Pkg) from Planet Honda, which was delivered early today. I went throught the Internet contacts at the dealerships to find out what was available. Kudos to BurtKuni, Ralph Schomp, and Planet Honda for their quick responses and honest discussions. I contacted the other dealerships in Colorado, but they were not as responsive or informative.

The Pilots are being sold as soon as they arrive. Some dealers take refundable deposits to hold a car, others do not until the day it arrives. I was told one day that all the 2004 Pilots in silver were not available, and then the next day one would come available because someone backed out of their reservation.

My advice is to know what you want and call around to check inventory through the Internet contacts. Then get multilple offers and see if the dealership that you like the best (for whatever reason) will match the best offer. The 2004 Pilots are being sold at MSRP, yet the price of dealer installed options, handling, financing, and service/warranties are negotiable. You can beat the list price with a little competitive bidding. The list price on my Pilot with the Pro Pkg was $36,300 not including dealer handling.

I was able to negotiate a 2004 Pilot EX-L w/ RES, destination, dealer handling and the following options (everything, but tax) for $34,000. The options included wheel locks, roof rails, mud flaps, clear bra, full window tint as front windows were not included. Carpeted floor mats were also included. I did not pay any bogus documentation or marketing fee.

The 2004 has the adjustable middle seats that slide slightly formward/backward (which are a great feature) along with the heated side mirrors, heated front seats, and parking brake audible sensor. The 2004 also seems to be a bit more quiet of a ride compared to the 2003 that I also test drove.

I was also convinced to pick up the service plan ($599) and extended warranty (effective cost $549). The dealer is located within a half mile of where I work. The service plan offers free oil changes, tire rotations, and exterior/interior cleaning detais every 3 months or 3000 miles for the life of the vehicle. Free towing, flat repairs, locked keys, run out of gas service calls are also included for free. You also get $100 off each major service call (7,500, 15,000, etc.) with this plan. Plus, they will shuttle to me back and forth from work and will give me a loaner if the Pilot needs to be serviced overnight or longer. I figured the cost was reasonable and will pay out in 2-3 years, but the convenience given my hectic schedule was a timesaver. With three young kids, the inside will also need a good detail every 3 months.

I also negotiated an extended warranty fpr 7 years/75,000 miles from $1295 to an effective cost of $549. I refused at $1295 and $949, and the finance manager called Honda and got them to lower the financing from 4.75 to 3.55% if I took the extended warranty. With the extended warranty, you get 100% of your money back if you do not use the warranty (I will believe it when I see it).

Since this will be my wife's car, she likes the idea that she is covered for all these services and extended warranty. If she is happy, then I am happy. At least I have a better chance of getting lucky!!

Thanks to everyone for their input.

·
Registered
176 Posts
mtnhigh said:
... pick up the service plan ($599) and extended warranty (effective cost $549). The dealer is located within a half mile of where I work. The service plan offers free oil changes, tire rotations, and exterior/interior cleaning detais every 3 months or 3000 miles for the life of the vehicle. Free towing, flat repairs, locked keys, run out of gas service calls are also included for free. You also get $100 off each major service call (7,500, 15,000, etc.) with this plan. Plus, they will shuttle to me back and forth from work and will give me a loaner if the Pilot needs to be serviced overnight or longer. I figured the cost was reasonable and will pay out in 2-3 years, but the convenience given my hectic schedule was a timesaver. With three young kids, the inside will also need a good detail every 3 months.

Wondering how this really works? Suppose I were to get the oil changed for $30 a pop. It would take me five years to use up $600. But they say the deal is "for the life of the vehicle"? What if I own it for 4X times that -- that'd lose money for 15 years? There has to be some 'catch'????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are betting that you do not keep the vehicle for more than 2 or 3 years, or do not use them. I figure the oil change is worth $30, the tire rotation another $30, and the car detail roughly $20. So that's $80 for every 3 months or 3000 miles. At four times a year or 12,000 miles, that is worth $320. I figure I will pay for it in 2 years. I also like the fact that I can ask them to check something out since I have the extended warranty while I am getting the oil changed. Plus, I have the convenience of having the dealership within a 0.5 mile of where I work, so it is easy to get it serviced while I am at work.

I believe this will work for me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
mtnhigh - What do you mean by the $549 "effective cost" on the 7/75 extended warranty and what is the deductible?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
mtnhigh said:
They are betting that you do not keep the vehicle for more than 2 or 3 years, or do not use them. I figure the oil change is worth $30, the tire rotation another $30, and the car detail roughly $20. So that's $80 for every 3 months or 3000 miles. At four times a year or 12,000 miles, that is worth $320. I figure I will pay for it in 2 years. I also like the fact that I can ask them to check something out since I have the extended warranty while I am getting the oil changed. Plus, I have the convenience of having the dealership within a 0.5 mile of where I work, so it is easy to get it serviced while I am at work.

I believe this will work for me.
Sounds like a good deal if you stick with it and the dealer is easy to get service scheduled. $30 seems a bit steep for a tire rotation - but I'm guessing a "good" detailing is worth more than $20, so hopefully it all balances out in the end.

Congrats!!!

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seadog said:
mtnhigh - What do you mean by the $549 "effective cost" on the 7/75 extended warranty and what is the deductible?
The dealer originally wanted me to buy the extended warranty for $1295. I said I wasn't interested. Then he lowered the offer to $995. Again, I said I wasn't interested. I actually agreed to all other terms except for the extended warranty and signed the paperwork, but had to wait for my wife to arrive before the deal was finalized by her signatures. (BTW - this is a great negotiating ploy- kinda of a version of good guy, bad guy).

Anyhow, the finance manager called me back and said that Honda was willing to give me break on the financing if I accepted the extended warranty at $995. They dropped the finance rate from 4.75% to 3.55%. This lower interest rate dropped my total P&I by $450. So in essence, I paid a lower effective price on the extended warranty at around $549.

The deductible is $50.

Bottom line. Never take their first or second offer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts