Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would think the economy is down? Honda sold 9,302 Pilots in March alone. I've always heard 80,000 2003 Pilots were the goal. It looks like it could hit 100,000 Pilots! :eek:

American Honda Sales Increase 20.7 percent to New March Records Expanded product lineup and new models boost Honda Division sales

Torrance, Calif. 04/01/2003 -- American Honda posted new records for total vehicles and light truck sales in March with total vehicle sales of 121,694, up 20.7 percent, and light truck sales reaching an all-time record of 47,049, up 41.8 percent.

New light truck models helped Honda Division post a 25.9 percent March overall sales increase to 107,651 with all-time record Pilot sales of 9,302 and Element sales of 6,234 adding to strong automobile sales. Accord sales reached 35,863, up 15.2 percent, and Civic sales reached 28,655, up 16.7 percent for March. Acura Division sales increased for the second consecutive month in 2003 with 4,887 MDX sales and 5,536 TL sales.

"American Honda's model lineup is the strongest and most diverse it's ever been," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of sales for American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "New products like the Pilot, Element and the completely redesigned Accord demonstrate our commitment to meeting the diverse needs of our customers."

American Honda year-to-date sales of 310,506 reflect a 13.8 percent increase with Honda Division sales up 18.4 percent. All-time record Honda Division light truck sales of 42,162 broke the previous record of 36,780 set in August 2002. March 2003 was the second-best sales month ever for American Honda and the Honda division, the previous records being set in August 2002.

·
Registered
409 Posts
When You Build it..

Proof again that if you build quality and build what people ask for...the customers will beat your door down and pay your price for your product.

Way to go Honda!

Don

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: When You Build it..

dandbtucker said:
Proof again that if you build quality and build what people ask for...the customers will beat your door down and pay your price for your product.

Way to go Honda!

Don
You're soooo right Dandbtucker! I wonder what kind of numbers Honda has on repeat buyers???

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: When You Build it..

Rainbowslim said:

You're soooo right Dandbtucker! I wonder what kind of numbers Honda has on repeat buyers???
Although the Pilot is my first (non-motorcycle) Honda, I would think the number to be quite high. Many of the people here have mentoned that they bought the Pilot to replace their aging Accord, Civic, etc.

I am CLEARLY a repeat buyer on Honda motorcycles!!

1970 Honda SL70 (2)
1972 Honda CL100 (2)
1974 Honda XL350
1978 Honda GL1000
1980 Honda CM400A
1975 Honda CL360
1991 Honda ST1100 (2)
1989 Honda XL600V TransAlp (2)
1998 Honda ST1100A
1990 Honda XL600V TransAlp
2000 Honda XR100R
1988 Honda NX250 (still own)
2002 Honda ST1100A (my present ride)

YMMV

·
Registered
900 Posts
This is our first Honda but if quality etc. is as nice on all Hondas as it is on our Pilot (and we hear from lots of you that that is the case) we'll be buying more Hondas too...

Now if they would just fix the Kentucky Map in the NAV, I'd really like an Accord when it's time to hand down my beloved Saturn SL2 to my soon-to-be 16 year old son...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
bielen said:
Pilot sales of 9,302 Accord sales reached 35,863
If they can sell that many Accords and have a lot full of them how come they can't keep up with the demand for the Pilots??:confused:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
bielen said:
Who would think the economy is down? Honda sold 9,302 Pilots in March alone. I've always heard 80,000 2003 Pilots were the goal. It looks like it could hit 100,000 Pilots! :eek:

wonder if they have already shifted ody capacity to the pilot...:D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Pilot Sales Record

ramirami said:

wonder if they have already shifted ody capacity to the pilot...:D
THey did that when they released the Pilot.

Ody's from US, and MDX/Pilot from CA

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
bielen said:

New light truck models helped Honda Division post a 25.9 percent March overall sales increase to 107,651 with all-time record Pilot
Why does Honda classify it as a "light truck", in most car magazines etc, their classified as car-based SUVs.

·
Registered
449 Posts

michaelp95 said:

Why does Honda classify it as a "light truck", in most car magazines etc, their classified as car-based SUVs.
I think it has to do with the fuel efficiency mandates. "Light truck" is probably a defind category in those mandates and "car-based SUV" is a real-life description of its intended market position.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Pilot Sales Record

Twinkie said:
I think it has to do with the fuel efficiency mandates.
True. I believe the category is government-defined and includes minivans, SUVs, and most pickups. Fuel economy standards are different than for cars, a fact which has sparked much controversy.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe that almost all Ody production has been shifted to Alabama since last summer, and that Ontario now produces only a trickle of Odys, with the majority of production on the light truck line being Pilot and MDX.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

florida_guy said:

If they can sell that many Accords and have a lot full of them how come they can't keep up with the demand for the Pilots??:confused:
I've heard a lot of people ask this same question.

I don't know the answer, but wonder if it has something to do with a marketing decision to keep inventory low and sales prices high in the case of the Pilot. On the other hand, it seems the opposite holds true with the Accord....and Civic, too........keep inventory high to compensate for generally lower sales prices (better deals).

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Pilot Sales Record

Ziploc said:

I don't know the answer, but wonder if it has something to do with a marketing decision to keep inventory low and sales prices high in the case of the Pilot.
I have suspected this kind of skull dugery myself.:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts