Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, you can start by checking out the websites in this thread:
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4125

But your 'cheapest' deal will probably depend upon the shipping cost to your specific location and any taxes you might pay. What was 'cheapest' for me may not be 'cheapest' for you. When I bought my steps, I bought them somewhere where they were a little higher than others, but lower priced on some other items that I wanted to purchase, but the entire bundle price (plus shipping) was the best. The prices at these OEM accessories sites tend to fluctuate around each other as well. Happy hunting:1:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought mine last week from AutoWest Honda Roseville (www.discount-hondaparts.com).
The price was $394 plus $28 tax for a total of $422. Shipping was free.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Best price on running boards

Got mine for $335 including freight. Check your e-mail - I sent you the info. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ordered last Oct 7,03 and Recieved it today Oct 9,03.WOW!!! that was FAST!!!!

Payed $427.70 for the unit then shipping is $3.95 Via UPS.

Wwong..thanks a lot for the big help..I really appriciate it. :D

http://www.hondapartsforyou.com

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Glad I was able to help a fellow Piloteer! Installation should be a breeze. Make sure you post pics!

·
Registered
29 Posts

Running Board Installed.... DIY

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
max_501 said:
Do the running boards stick out far enough to make a good step? From the pics I've seen its very hard to tell.
I'd say the Honda OEM running boards provide a good step for front and back seat passengers. However, I've found that finding the running board when exiting from the third row is a bit difficult - have to search by feel with your foot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,

I just bought the 04 Pilot and I'm debating between having dealer-installed running-board or DIY one (OEM) ... How difficult is it to install it yourself ...?? Any drillings neccessary or special equipment required ? :) Since I'm not much a DIYer, I thought I'd ask first before venturing ... Thanks.

P.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Running boards are the easiest to install. No drilling required. Just tighten a few nuts and you're done. To gauge if it is worth it or not to buy from the dealership, note that you can buy running boards for about $400 on-line. Any amount over $400 is pure profit for the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WWong - Thanks for the vote of confidence !! :) ... I'll try to do it myself then ... Yeah, the dealer is asking $650 ..plus tax for this thing !... I'll check www.hondapartsforyou.com ...
Any tips are welcome :D ... Thanks again ...

PS: How do you feel about their "additional" alarm system ? ...I didn't buy it ... I feel the current system is quite sufficient .. Thx

·
Registered
136 Posts
Download and print the Installation Instructions

From : https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/pilot/

I just installed the running boards myself this weekend and it's fairly straigtforward. There are, however, a lot of bolts and nuts to tighten and it would help to have an air ratchet (THOUGH a regular socket wrench and 13mm shallow socket is all you need along with the recommended extension and 13mm combo wrench, if you have a ratcheting combo wrench, even better!) The torque wrench, is nice to have to torque everything to spec, but I'm sure others will say otherwise. I'm just a stickler for instructions I guess.

If you don't have a torque wrench, I would say to be very careful when you tighten the nuts that are on the running boards themselves. There are six of them to each side. The aluminum running boards are soft, and I can see them being easily stripped or damaged due to too much torque.

Also, if you're doing the installation by yourself, and depending on your mechanical aptitude, plan on setting aside anywhere between 2-4 hours to finish the install.

My $.02. Good luck!

-Mike

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
mixxmstrmike - Thanks for the tips ! Really appreciate it ...

Oh yeah, it would help to have all these ..power tools !! :) ... I also getting the Rear Splash Guards (wonder why they don't come with the EX-L model, they're not that expensive.) It may take me half a day then ... The instructions seem straight forward ..

wwong - Sounds like a good idea but I live in northern CA though :)... Thanks for all the tips/help in this forum.

Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone installed after market running boards? I am looking at the ATS ones, but wondered if anyone can recommend a good one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread up.

I'm planning to install the RB on my 07EXL, wonder that do I really need to get under the vehicle to get it done or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes, you definitely need to get under the vehicle to do it.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
But you do not have the lift the Pilot with a jack to install the running boards. It is one of the easiest accessories to install.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts