Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this transmission issue? While still unable to get up neighbor who say the whole thing checked my car that stopped in front of his house and found the car still in park. Keys were still in ignition but it definitely was and remained in park. Anyone else have similar experience?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about this, haven't heard of it before.

Could be a freak accident, could be the parking pawl sheared off from parking on inclines without properly setting the parking brake, could be a number of things. If there is enough of an incline that the vehicle can roll it should have had the parking brake on.

I've had to work with my wife on this since her parents never taught her, you need to engage the parking brake, put the car in neutral, let off the brakes so it settles on the parking brake and you know it's being held, then shift to park. Most of the load is on the parking brake system with the parking pawl in the transmission as a backup.

Reactions: ruvi

·
Registered
484 Posts
If I understand this correctly....
The car had keys in the ignition (engine running?) I suppose in order to warm up the interior.
The shift lever was in 'P'
OP, I suppose, were directly behind or in front of the car. Most likely behind, in order to put something in the car?
The car started rolling(backwards?), knocking OP down flat and going over her.
Not with the wheels, or she would not be typing any posts now. And car has enough clearance to not hurt a person below it. But being forced down to the pavement by a slowly rolling car can still cause injury. Hopefully OP did not get injured too badly.
The car rolled to a stop in front of neighbor's house. The neighbor who saw it happen confirmed that shift lever was still in park.
This does look like a transmission pawl failure. If the place the car normally parked is on an incline, and parking brake is not used,this places too much stress on the pawl.

Even Honda owner's manual states: with shift lever in D, and brake pedal pressed, apply parking brake, then move lever to P. And always apply parking brake, especially on an incline.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Always apply parking brake no matter if it's an incline or flat. The parking brake is a " use it or lose it" item!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hmmm...

The parking pawl is a fail-once item. Once it fails, it doesn't fix itself. If the car stands OK in park now, it wasn't a parking pawl failure that allowed it to roll.

My first look might be for a poorly adjusted shift cable/linkage that wasn't completely in the park position when the lever appeared to be. After the engine was started, was the gear lever moved from park position then moved back? If so, it's possible the lever wasn't placed all the way back into park. Otherwise, the engine starter won't crank unless the transmission isn't in park or neutral. If it was started in park position, the only way the lever moves is while the brake pedal is depressed.

Reactions: ruvi

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hmmm...
The parking pawl is a fail-once item. Once it fails, it doesn't fix itself. If the car stands OK in park now, it wasn't a parking pawl failure that allowed it to roll.
If pawl is borderline worn, it may still hold in some of the notches statically, but once rolling starts, would keep slipping. And until OP posts again with later developments, no assumptions can be made.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone. For curious minds, I just stepped out of driver seat when I noticed it was rolling. Thank God 9 year old got out while I had brake pedal pressed.

Once I noticed it rolling I tried to use my hands to stop it. That is where it gets fuzzy. I felt being rolled over but I must have screamed as neighbors ran to me. Unable to get up at first and appears was in shock.

Hospital checked everything and I walked away with severe deep tissue contusions along my whole right side. Tread mark scrapes along bottom of ab. Internal bleeding but stopped on its own leaving really odd plate like internal scars along bottom of stomach.

Should heal with more time and learned valuable lesson on parking break.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Glad to hear that injuries are not severe. Could be way worse. Always use park brake and if a car rolls, best to jump out of the way.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Wow it sounds like you were very lucky with nothing broken or requiring a long hospital stay... take it easy and heal up! I am truly happy that after reading what happened before you lost memory that you aren't in the hospital with major injuries.

I suggest testing this in a controlled manner, you in the vehicle and not leaving the vehicle and nobody around... try to see what scenario this occurs exactly and I'd definitely look to get it fixed. If you don't have confidence I'd be using the parking brake regularly to boost your confidence.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
What year was this Pilot ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this transmission issue? While still unable to get up neighbor who say the whole thing checked my car that stopped in front of his house and found the car still in park. Keys were still in ignition but it definitely was and remained in park. Anyone else have similar experience?
Hope you didn't get hurt. 1. Obviously it really wasn't in Park. The linkage may have been between Park and Reverse and the indicator gave you a false reading. You didn't say what happened when you test Park position again. 2. As it says in the owners manual and also driving school that when you park on a hill you need to use your parking brake. 3. If you left your keys in the ignition then you really weren't paying attention and wouldn't be insured for theft nor an injury or property damage from an accident if someone took your car that had the keys in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you everyone. For curious minds, I just stepped out of driver seat when I noticed it was rolling. Thank God 9 year old got out while I had brake pedal pressed.

Once I noticed it rolling I tried to use my hands to stop it. That is where it gets fuzzy. I felt being rolled over but I must have screamed as neighbors ran to me. Unable to get up at first and appears was in shock.
As several people stated, if you were in fact in P, and the pawl broke, then P should not ever work again. Or P wasn't correctly engaged. Either way, I would recommend getting it checked by the dealer.

And wow- here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

I learned to drive on standard transmissions so the habit of using of the parking brake is ingrained in me.

Ruvi

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Why would someone once they realize that the pilot is starting to roll get out and run to the back of the Pilot to try to stop it instead jumping back into the pilot and hit the brakes or even the ebrake ? Not alone leave the keys in the ignition if the key is not fully in the off position you can not place the pilot in park it will default to neutral. Once the key is in the OFF then it pops into park.

glad no body got killed

·
Registered
484 Posts
Most of us had a situation where we had to step out of the car with engine still running. I.e. dropping off a kid after sports practice before going shopping. And one definitely CAN put it in Park when key is in ON or ACC position. The golden rule, however, is to always engage parking brake before exiting the car, running or not. Jumping back into the car is not always an option. I.e. if one goes to fetch something from the back, and parking pawl is in borderline condition, the act of pulling the tailgate open might be enough to have the pawl slip and get the car rolling.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Most of us had a situation where we had to step out of the car with engine still running. I.e. dropping off a kid after sports practice before going shopping. And one definitely CAN put it in Park when key is in ON or ACC position. The golden rule, however, is to always engage parking brake before exiting the car, running or not. Jumping back into the car is not always an option. I.e. if one goes to fetch something from the back, and parking pawl is in borderline condition, the act of pulling the tailgate open might be enough to have the pawl slip and get the car rolling.
Agreed but in this situation it's not fully in the off or ACC position. I was able to duplicate this on my 15 in my driveway .The sheer fact that this was duplicated, the thought of this happening to a much older mileage pilot with a worn in transmission would be easier to duplicate. Actually really glad that no loss of life happened over this.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I always use the parking brake if parking on an incline(or curbside in city traffic) to keep the pressure down on the parking pawl and keep it functioning. I'll use it on level ground parking curbside in congested areas in the event it gets hit to once again-save the parking pawl and trans from so much impact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts