Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I own a 2018 Ridgeline and the most annoying thing about the truck has to be the narrow opening of the rear doors. I've lived with it for a year until today I finally decided to change out the checkers and I've gained 5 additional inches of opening space!

I heard this was an issue with the Pilots as well so I decided to check it out for myself. I went into the dealership and opened the pilot door and noticed the same thing. The opening is narrow but the problem isn't as bad as a Ridgeline since the rear cabin is bigger and easier to get into. But it was apparent that the rear door opening was narrow when compared to a CRV.

For those who are DIYers and interested in the rear door hack of changing out the checkers, it takes about 30 mins and $30 dollars. I've made a review tutorial video for the Ridgeline but should be pretty much the same for the Pilot. Take a look:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey guys,

I own a 2018 Ridgeline and the most annoying thing about the truck has to be the narrow opening of the rear doors. I've lived with it for a year until today I finally decided to change out the checkers and I've gained 5 additional inches of opening space!

I heard this was an issue with the Pilots as well so I decided to check it out for myself. I went into the dealership and opened the pilot door and noticed the same thing. The opening is narrow but the problem isn't as bad as a Ridgeline since the rear cabin is bigger and easier to get into. But it was apparent that the rear door opening was narrow when compared to a CRV.

For those who are DIYers and interested in the rear door hack of changing out the checkers, it takes about 30 mins and $30 dollars. I've made a review tutorial video for the Ridgeline but should be pretty much the same for the Pilot. Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9-7ckh819o
What are the part numbers and where to buy? Awesome video. Love the Ferrari!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What are the part numbers and where to buy? Awesome video. Love the Ferrari!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Here are the part numbers from the vid.

P/N Left: 72380-TG7-A02
P/N Right: 72340-TG7-A02

https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/oem-parts/honda-checker-l-front-door-72380tg7a02?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrcDZImeFdSCHexLEZFtWK-uGxg8EMSXlvvVPRtKFNRAgtPC0RYFt3oaAqIOEALw_wcB

https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/oem-parts/honda-checker-r-front-door-72340tg7a02

I may try this. I had to move a 5 piece patio set last week and the rear doors made the job difficult.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks to OP Cryptos (great video) and ObsidianX for the info links. Once I receive shipment, I'll post my results. Can't wait to tackle this project on my next weekend full of DIYs.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
This has been done a while ago when the 17RL came out by one of the RL Owners Club member. It's on YouTube.
Point ? Shouldn't matter if the video was done before ... I think the OP did an awesome job on the video .... :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great video, thank you for sharing.

More pics of the Ferrari please! :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
I kind of eyeballed my pilots rear doors and it doesn't seem as tight as the ridgelines.... I guess someone has to try and measure it before and after the mod.

I have really young kids so they use the door to push off to get up and down. Wider might not be that great for them.

But still awesome video.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nice job. Nice video. Who amongst us wouldn’t like to “gain 5 inches”.

Did my Ridgeline and love it, Just installed it on the Pilot. Yes you gain 5 inches measured from the door latch. If you wish to experiment an see if this mod will suit your needs, just remove the one bolt on the A pillar of your current door stop. It has Loctite on it so it will turn with resistance. With that bolt completely out, open the door carefully to the full limit, this is the distance you will gain with the new door stops.

I see this being useful with installing and removing child car seats. We did it for the dog to have a more straight angle to jump in. For us, everyone is happy. :grin:

For more info visit Ridgeline Owners Club: Rear Door Modification to increase opening - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

Pilot and Ridgeline are basically identical from the back seats forward.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Installed in our Pilot. Confirmed the door opens additional 5 inches measured from latch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts