Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to test results released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the BMW Z4 roadster got a five-star rating in the test, which measures rollover propensity through a mathematical formula, not a moving test, the story said.

The Ford Explorer Sport Trac sport utility vehicle and a rear-wheel drive version of the Jeep Liberty performed worst, earning two-star rollover ratings on NHTSA's five-star scale.

A four-wheel drive version of the Jeep Liberty got three stars in NHTSA's ratings, the only vehicle tested in which different versions received different rollover ratings.

Among other vehicles tested:

The Subaru Outback wagon and the compact Saturn Ion got four stars, while the Subaru Forester earned three stars.
The Honda Pilot and both the front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive versions of the Nissan Murano were the only SUVs earning four-star ratings.
SUVs earning three-star ratings included the BMW X5; the Honda Element; the Kia Sorento; the Mercedes-Benz ML350; the Mitsubishi Outlander; and the Toyota 4Runner. NHTSA tested front-wheel and four-wheel drive versions of the Element, the Sorento, the Outlander and the 4Runner. Only four-wheel drive versions of the X5 and the ML350 were tested.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I love when I read these stats....it makes me feel so much better about my decision to put me and my kids in this car. Hopefully none of us will have to go through something like this.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
will it happen in reallity like that.....the Z4 sits way low so guess its chances of roll over are low....

but in real life what will happen when a z4 has a head-on with the ford explorer...

·
Registered
804 Posts
timchen said:
According to test results released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration...
Tim, do you have the link?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Pilot rated high in safety report

Ferdball said:
Tim, do you have the link?
To look at all of the '03 SUVs tested by NHTSA (not just the latest installment), go to:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2003SUVs.html

Basically, the MDX and the Murano and the the Aztec 4x4 are the only other SUVs with 4-star roll-over ratings, and none of them has all 5-star rankings in the 4 crash tests like the Pilot. The MDX used to but it was recently downgraded to 4 stars in the two frontal impact scores. The '04 Pacifica has all 5-star in the crash tests but has not yet been assigned a roll-over rating, but I would expect it to be good.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Pilot rated high in safety report

robrecht said:
To look at all of the '03 SUVs tested by NHTSA (not just the latest installment), go to:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2003SUVs.html

Basically, the MDX and the Murano and the the Aztec 4x4 are the only other SUVs with 4-star roll-over ratings, and none of them has all 5-star rankings in the 4 crash tests like the Pilot. The MDX used to but it was recently downgraded to 4 stars in the two frontal impact scores. The '04 Pacifica has all 5-star in the crash tests but has not yet been assigned a roll-over rating, but I would expect it to be good.
robrecht , nothing gets past you. I would only add that the only test remaining is the offset crash to be done by the IIHS, which is important for insurance ratings.

When I was getting quotes for comparison from my insurance company (GEICO), the Pilot was higher than the Highlander, Grand Cherokee, and Liberty. The only explanation I could think of was that safety testing on the Pilot was incomplete.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pilot rated high in safety report

Good point, krygny!

If and when IIHS tests the Pilot, I hope it will get the same fabulous ratings that the MDX received:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm#0113

This website is so great, it has really encouraged me to make a very conscious and informed choice about this car purchase. There is so much valuable information here.

krygny said:
robrecht , nothing gets past you. I would only add that the only test remaining is the offset crash to be done by the IIHS, which is important for insurance ratings.

When I was getting quotes for comparison from my insurance company (GEICO), the Pilot was higher than the Highlander, Grand Cherokee, and Liberty. The only explanation I could think of was that safety testing on the Pilot was incomplete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts