Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I am planning to buy a SUV very soon,and I am leaning toward a Pilot(Highlander with 4 cyl appeals to my frugal nature,but the Pilot gives more value,and has more interior room).One dealer is advertising a LX Pilot for $24,995..Is that a decent price?Do you think he has any room to go lower.I am near New Orleans,and the economy is worse here than in most of the country,so our prices might be more favorable.Now ,he has advertised this price,but I will be a little surprised if he doesn't try to get cute once the dealing starts.Thanks,Charlie PS Same dealer has EX Odysseys for the same price.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
charlie: at first glance, that price for an LX sounds like a good deal (does it include the "destination charge"?). Below is the Edmunds price for the LX using a New Orleans zip code. If it is indeed true, it looks like you're just above dealer invoice! But beware... take a look at this thread Dealer newspaper ad(to good to be true?) to see a similar question and (more importantly) the outcome!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kemosabe,thanks.There was more..

Kemoseabe,thanks for the reply.There was actually a little more to this story.I had gone onlne-via one of those email ads-and my email "request" for a price had been referred to this dealer.Well,I wrote a note to the internet mgr of this dealer commenting on their ad,and asking for their internet price.I quoted their own newspaper ad price-$24,995 in my email,in the hopes of nudging him lower,or at least keeping him honest..The internet price came back as 25,500,with no comment on the newspaper price.This was probably a big hint on the likelyhood of actually getting it for $24,995-slim and none!Still,$25,500 is not a bad price-probably better than average..The internet price for a EX Pilot was $27,545-not bad.Of course,who knows if they will really sell for those prices;I would expect some additional BS to turn up,once it got serious.Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
charlie: Did you get a chance to look at that other thread I referenced in my last post? If you're serious about getting the Pilot, then pursue the one(s) you received a quote on from the Internet sales manager -- get everything in writing, and most of all, be prepared to deal with double-speak, bait-and-switch, bend over and get screwed, and all the other tactics salespeople have a stereotype for... I mean, the LX price quote you got wasn't bad, but I'd be wondering what the heck happened to the $24,995 from the newspaper ad?!?!?!?

·
Registered
461 Posts
It is so unfortunate that buyers have to deal with that sort of deception. I had a great experience. I emailed for prices. The dealer gave me his best price, I said okay and we started faxing things back and forth. When I got there to pick up the car it was exactly what I expected. Never the slightest feeling that they were trying to deceive, never any hint of trying to raise the price, never going back on their word. I consider myself fortunate to have found Hidy Honda to deal with. I couldn't have asked for a more honest dealer.

Just out of curiosity, when these ad prices suddenly vanish when you call or go to the showroom, how do they explain the descrepancy?

·
Registered
199 Posts
My dealer has several unsold Pilots on the lot right now. There were 13 there when I went in for service today and only a couple had sold signs. Where there's a surplus, there's plenty of room to negotiate!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read thread-usually 'that one was sold"

Kemosabe,yes I read that thread.Can't say I was surprised.
My3,the usual dealer response on a price too good to be true can be
1)"t is already sold"or something like"it was really a stripper model,you wouldn't have wanted it"
2)Oh,that was a misprint,but we have some great models in stock,with a lot more features.
3)Or,you make the deal,sign the prelim. papers,and them it has to got to "someone who isn't in today to approve the deal".but someone won't be in till the next day.I finally managed to buy a stripped new 1986 Toyota truck for the advertised $4995.Of course,I did want a radio,AC,and bumper which I paid full markup on.They might have found a way to back out,if I hadn't gone for these items.An AC in not really an option in New Orleans.The final price of $6300+ ttl was a good price at the time.
If you point out the obvious to them(they advertised it at that price),and try to "force" them to sell it at that price,they can usually find a way out of selling,if they are just slick con artists.Who is go to hire a lawyer for something like that?They commonly put a vin # in the ad ,and they can say it is sold,even if it isn't.How will you know??
Bottom line,if they are con artists,and the price was a pure come on that they can't make money on-they won't sell it,and you really can't make them sell it to you without spending more time and $$ than the effort is worth.Complain to the BBB,and your attorney general,and tell all your friends.Thanks for the response,I will see if it is a "real" price this weekend.The newspaper ad,and the internet price,both seem pretty good.Another local dealer's ad wants $27,200 for the LX-full MSRP.How could they sell any Pilots at that price,if the other dealer's price is "true"?I have doubts.I'll find out.Charlie

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
charlie: Yes, unfortunately, you just re-iterated some reasons why many folks stress out when it comes time to buy a new vehicle -- the mind games that the dealership can play (and they have more experience since they do that kind of con artist thing day in and day out). For those reasons, buying services came about (with pre-negotiated prices) to help folks out.

Hmmm... I'd be interested in what your findings are after your weekend research with your quote(s). If you get a chance on Monday, fill us in!!! :4:

·
Registered
30 Posts
LX price

I got mine for $25,119 in Oklahoma city. That exludes tax and title.
The reason they are so cheap is that people opt for the EX's. So there are lots of LX's out there that can be had for cheap.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LX easier to buy-better discount

I hadn't really given that any thought.The internet guy quoted a similarly discounted price on the EX-27,545 vs 25,414.The only EX features that appeal to me are the power seat,and the roof rack.These are worth maybe $800,of the $2100 or so extra $$.The roof rack I could install myself,but the power seat is another story.Doubt the LX will be wired for it,and even if it is,it would probably be very expensive to buy and install.If I can't live without the power seat,I will have to bite the bullet and go EX.Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: LX easier to buy-better discount

charlie said:
...but the power seat is another story.Doubt the LX will be wired for it,and even if it is,it would probably be very expensive to buy and install.If I can't live without the power seat,I will have to bite the bullet and go EX.Thanks,Charlie
We purchased a 99 Odyssey LX van, and the power seat has been something we've really missed. That was the prime motivator why our Pilot is an EX. There are no aftermarket seat bases available for Hondas (or at least according to several aftermarket van conversion outfits I've contacted), and swapping out the seat is cost-prohibitive.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for power seat tip

Thanks for the power seat tip.I had a feeling that there was no good,cost effective way to get a power seat in a LX(other than the obvious,buy a EX).I had never had a power seat until I bought a Tundra Limited last year.I have really come to love that seat.I drive 2 hours a day,and that seat allows me to make all the minor adj that you just can't make with the usual manual seat.I don't leave it in one position,I change the position every 10 minutes or so.Without it,I would probably always have a nagging back,or neck ache.When I take the 1995 Accord to work,my back aches for a day-manual seat,and it is too low,even for my very short legs.Guess I will go EX.Thanks,Charlie PS There is a lot to be said for a V-8,but I think the Pilot will be just about as quick as the Tundra,won't have the V-8 growl,but I can get that from the Tundra.My wife will be doing most of the "Piloting",she doesn't care much for the truck.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
charlie: It sounds like the number one thing on your priority list is the power seat. If that's the case, then go for the EX rather than having to muck with aftermarket power seats, if available. The Pilot has plenty of horsepower (240hp @ 5400rpm), plus it probably won't guzzle as much (expensive) petrol as your V-8 Tundra... just some food for thought. Good luck!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: LX price

kdbrier said:
I got mine for $25,119 in Oklahoma city. That exludes tax and title.
The reason they are so cheap is that people opt for the EX's. So there are lots of LX's out there that can be had for cheap.
If I can find an LX that cheap, I may bite. I'd prefer the EX, but I can add wheels, tint, and upgrade the sound system for less than the difference of an EX. Also forgot I'd need a security system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts