Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to throw down the money for a Pilot however I am a bit hesitant after reading all these problems people are having. Be honest, do you guys wish you had waited to buy one? Would you really recommend buying one or wait a year or so?

·
Registered
61 Posts
BUY NOW

These problems are minor IMO and one should not wait!!! The longer you wait to buy one, the longer the wait will be from the factory.

I also thought about waiting a year before buying, but after reading all the articles that it's the MDX's cousin, built on the Odessey chassis, why wait.

Honda puts out a great product and I absolutely LOVE this vehicle!!!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
No complaints

The problems you see here are probably all that exist with the vehicle.
Many are similar to isssues with the Odyssey and MDX, yet you can hardly find a person not delighted with those vehicles even a year later.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Forums like this are cool, but sometimes can make everyone paranoid w/ all the info . Kinda like when you read a book about diseases, you start to think you have all the sicknesses. Maybe we need a name for all the Pilot paranoia. Pilotitus or Pilotus Fobias or something.

I know I find myself looking for every problem that is written here. Is there a scrunch, is there a click, do I hear too much wind noise? Sheesh!!! I'm even holding off on buying the crossbars for the roof rack because so many people have written that they've crack the plastic cover you need to remove for the install. Some of the issues I almost wish I never read about, because I don't think they would have been issues to me.

Bottom line, this is an EXCELLENT vehicle that I know I'll be happy with for years to come.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
b737gearboy said:
I'm about ready to throw down the money for a Pilot however I am a bit hesitant after reading all these problems people are having. Be honest, do you guys wish you had waited to buy one? Would you really recommend buying one or wait a year or so?
Hey come on ... new vehicles and owners ... what do you expect ... hear a click here, hear a tap there ... we're consumers with an outlet to vent our frustrations and worries ... go to a site like DodgeDakota.Com and you'll see what real complaining and problems are ... These problems are all relatively miniscule which seem to have become enormous because mechanically there is nothing to complain about ... I think you will be relatively safe and happy with your PILOT purchase ...

PrG

·
Registered
290 Posts
YES!

I am very happy with it. In my opinion, it wouldn't hurt you to wait a year for the kinks to get worked out, if you can stand the wait and have a decent vehicle to last you through. The vehicle I replaced was a piece of crap and was ready to go, so I had to get something fast. It should only get better with time.

None of the issues are all that major. There are several complaints about noise (scrunching, clicking, popping, whistling, and thumping) but as I said, my previous vehicle was a piece of crap so I guess they don't bother me so much, though I seriously haven't noticed all of them. My window will make a sound if I push on it, but it never does it while I'm driving. I've never heard the clicking noise or the whistling (no crossbars yet). I don't have the leather so I don't have the pop. The gas tank thud did give me a bit of a scare the first day I had it as I thought that I had been rear ended and got out pretty PO'd at the guy behind me, then lo and behold, he was about 3 feet away from my bumper. He must've thought I was crazy.

I have fixed the windshield nozzle leak that most have reported. I have the SS so I do have the paint issue reported by a lot of SS owners. I don't notice it and nobody else has pointed it out so I am not too concerned about this one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Pilot owners: are you really happy with the vehicle?

PrG said:

Hey come on ... new vehicles and owners ... what do you expect ... hear a click here, hear a tap there ... we're consumers with an outlet to vent our frustrations and worries ... go to a site like DodgeDakota.Com and you'll see what real complaining and problems are ... These problems are all relatively miniscule which seem to have become enormous because mechanically there is nothing to complain about ... I think you will be relatively safe and happy with your PILOT purchase ...

PrG
You are right. That's why I don't have a Ford Explorer in my driveway, 0% financing and all. However before I pay sticker (which I have never ever done) I want to make sure this vehicle is really worth it. I have owned nothing but Japaneese for the last 18 years and almost bought the Exploder but just couldn't do it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
310 Posts
MDX and Oddessey have already proven themselves--why wait?

I really don't think that you should wait to buy a Pilot just to let the bugs get worked out. The MDX and Oddessey have already proven the concept behind the Pilot, there's the standard Honda reliability, and the fact that as many others have already pointed out, the problems are relatively minor.

I generally recommend keeping a car (and thus postponing purchasing a new car) for as long as possible so as to get the most for your money. However, if it is time for you to buy a car, I would recommend a Pilot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Our SS EX-L is fantastic. I bought the second one available(dealer owner bought the first) in our city. Our family of 4 is so happy with the car. We have had some of the issues mentioned, but they are minor.

There is no vehicle on the road with the balance, performance and driveability than this one. IT really blows me away every time I drive it.

It beats hands down - expedition/explorer Cherokee, Trail Blazer, pathfinder, 4Runner/Highlander. This one is the class leader

Honda truly has a homerun with this one. We thought their Odyssey upset the minivan apple cart! .

OK = so I am biased!

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm thrilled with mine. It rides great, and I've had none of the problems I've seen with other posters here.

My only complaint is the OEM tires, which I replaced with Michelin Cross Terrains today. Cost me an extra $500, but I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Len said:
I'm thrilled with mine. It rides great, and I've had none of the problems I've seen with other posters here.

My only complaint is the OEM tires, which I replaced with Michelin Cross Terrains today. Cost me an extra $500, but I think it's worth it.
None of the problems??? That seems hard to believe. But, if that's the case, that's awesome. I think people are just too picky, me included :2:

·
Registered
395 Posts
gupt0014 said:
None of the problems???
Nope. No scrunch or other noises, no paint problems (though I don't have metallic paint), no audio or leather problems, no windshield washer leaks and I still haven't heard the gas tank sloshing.
:2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Home Run

It's a home run with some 1st model year minor issues for Honda to work out. Went through the same thing with my early production '97 CRV and the CRV turned out to be my favorite vehicle to date, until I bought the Pilot. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We love ours and wouldn't trade it for anything. The "problems" we have are minor at best and more nit picking than anything else. Don't wait to buy unless you just want to wait longer because I can't see it getting any better than it already is. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
No looking back here!

I'm loving mine more and more every day!

2,400 awesome miles!

Everything (almost) you're hearing in this forum is "minor" IMHO.

I'm sure this same group could get in a Highlander and nit-pick it to death as well. I won't even talk about Durangos, Explorers, Jeeps, etc..........;)

This thing is great. No regret at all. I'm even thankful I bought it over the MDX.

·
Registered
81 Posts
r_hammel wrote:
... There are several complaints about noise (scrunching, clicking, popping, whistling, and thumping) ... The gas tank thud did give me a bit of a scare the first day I had it as I thought that I had been rear ended and got out pretty PO'd at the guy behind me ...
Hey, that gas tank thud is part of the heritage and is now in its 3rd generation:

1st Generation = Ody
2nd Generation = MDX
3rd Generation = Pilot

It is in the very genes of the vehicle and offspring inherit it!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great vehicle - at an awesome value!
I'd recommend the Pilot to anybody in the market for either an SUV or Minivan.
It's truly the best of both worlds and one of the finest vehicle I've driven.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Having owned the "Pirate" only two weeks, actually the wife's vehicle - she loves it, and I'm very fond of it. So much so that come replacement time for my vehicle (99 Ody), we are considering another Pirate.

I was thinking about the new 03 Accord, but coming from a two van family, sedans would be a reduction in utility (though increase in performance).

Thinking back (since wait listing in Jan), the best review I read was USA Today James Healy's Pirate review - http://www.usatoday.com/money/columns/healey/2002-05-31-honda-pilot.htm
In which he summarized; "In fact, Pilot is such an extraordinary package that it could be the best all-around vehicle, SUV or otherwise."

After spending a little time with the Pirate, and considering alternatives, I understand the reasons for his comment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We've had our Pilot (Nighthawk Black EX-L) for almost two months now and we both love it. Been on a few trips out of town (300 miles round trip) and it is great. I don't get tried driving like I do in my pickup. Very comfortable. I'm glad I didn't buy an Odyessy 6 or 8 months ago.
We'll be keeping this one till it falls apart.

Rusty

·
Registered
481 Posts
wouldn't sweat the little complaints that pop up here and there on this board. just minor annoyances more than faults with the car - and every car has them.

have about 1,000 on my pilot and the thing is fantastic. best car I've ever owned.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts