Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Pilot is due into the dealer any time, and I am afraid I have waited until too late to sell our 94 Grand Caravan. I advertised it in the newspaper classifieds and got no response. I have had it up on Autotrader.com for two weeks and had no response. The price is high blue book, and the car is absolutely immaculate. I haven't even talked trade-in because they will offer much less than it should bring on the open market. I have maintained it religiously and it shows. I think it is just the sticker shock that keeps people from responding to the ads. With all my previous cars, the first or second person to look at them has bought them. It's just getting them to look, but I'm afraid time is running out. Has anybody got any suggestions or methods that have worked for them? Thanks in advance, Greg.
:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just some opinions which you did ask for:

** Where I live, a 94 Caravan isn't exactly a vehicle in great demand.

** High bluebook is not going to attract much beyond flies.

** As a trade, you will probably get less than LOW blueback [like maybe $1,000 - $1,500 less]. Additionally, the trade wasn't part of the deal, so the used car manager is going to try to steal the car [figuring that you are in a tough spot].

Soooo ... you might want to get that price down to a point where people will call, possibly come see it, and maybe buy it. The lack of resounding response is a clear indication that you are priced way way over what the market will bear.

PS -- If the Caravan has anywhere near 100,000 miles on it, virtually no dealer will want it for his lot, it will get wholesale'd. Used American cars with 100,000 just don't seem to sell at new car dealerships.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ah, the open market

Hitandrun said:
...I haven't even talked trade-in because they will offer much less than it should bring on the open market...
The value of your vehicle on the open market is whatever a free and willing buyer will pay for it, not necessarily what you think it is. As you consider its value, you need to consider a few things:

1. What is the supply of used Caravans/Caravan clones?
2. What is the demand for eight year old Caravans/Caravans clones?
3. What else could a buyer spend their money on?
4. What is worth to you to keep?

The buyers for an eight year old minivan are looking for a deal. Lower your price.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I'm with srpbep and Twinkie.

Compounding your problem is that advances in pharmaceutical therapies and mental healthcare techniques in the past decade have significantly reduced the "buyer pool" for a '94 Grand Caravan. And IMO that, in general, is probably a good thing.

If you're not getting any calls, the price is too high. Certainly part of the problem is that most '94 GCs I see are real junkers. I imagine most others have a similar preconceived notion about yours, even though it isn't. And if you're saying it's a "creampuff" in a newspaper ad, no one is believing it.

One suggestion would be to see if there are any of those "help you sell" or "consignment" type lots around you. You know, the ones that basically just rent you a space for your car, and take a fixed amount or % cut. People looking for cars just wander in and look. We did that with a 15-yo '70 Chevy after nobody responded to newspaper ads. It sold in a couple of weeks, for a few hundred more than my parents paid for it in 1970 :)

Have you checked edmunds.com - they have a True Market Value (TMV) calculator. They also have a forum w/used car dealers and auction guys who will tell you what they think it's worth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When the value of new cars go down, like they are now with manufacturers offering the zero percent financing and the rebates to move their 2002 models, the value of used cars go down too.

I just sold my 93 Mazda MPV. I parked it on the street and got a call. But we have been advertising it since we bought our Pilot 6 weeks ago and they were only the 2nd to look at it.

I've had friends that had more success by parking their car for sale in another part of town where more of their target buyer lived. Low cost, older car = park it in a neighborhood where more people drive low cost, older cars. You need to find the buyers who are interested and offer the right price. Check in the ads to see what others are selling similar vans for.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
67k miles and nowhere near a junker. I have done routine maintenance on this car and spent for oil and filter, etc. I have spent a total of $57 on repairs since this van was new.
If the Pilot we have on order treats us nearly as well I will be extremely happy. I just know the condition of this car and hate to give it away.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I like your ad. Here's what Edmunds TMV says it's worth with the options and conditions you indicated (I used downtown LA as the region since I don't know Woodland's ZIP):

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting the Edmunds page, but I had taken your advice and looked there, probably at about the same time you were posting. I just can't go to the 5K range for this rig. I would use the difference between 7500 and the 6800 dealer price to bargain with a prospective buyer, and I think it would sell for that if I can just get past the sticker shock. I have looked everywhere I can think of and tried to position this van in a reasonable price range. I can find good condition ones from6K to 9K, and beaters as low as 2K.
By the way, Worm, I am closer than you think. Woodland is to the northeast of you. Woodland Hills is the one in Socal.
Please, anybody with suggestions, keep them coming, as I appreciate any and all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well you've got your input. Trying to sell it for more than DEALER RETAIL, well that certainly is a "stretch goal".

I understand that the vehicle is well cared for and in great condition, BUT asking more than Dealer Retail is tough. Remember, if no one even looks, you can't sell it. Then, if you do find a buyer and they need financing, lenders are not likely to finance a vehicle for more than high book.

If you can't part with it for a number in the 5s, then consider keeping it in the family!!

Just my opinion ... anyway ... good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) says private party value is about $5600 and National Automible Dealers Assoc guide (nada.com) says retail is about $5300. NADA didn't ask about options or condition of the car. The kbb estimate is based on being in excellent condition.

If you find the right person I'm sure you could do better. You'll have to be patient I suspect.

·
Registered
260 Posts
As others tell you, if you aren't getting interest in the vehicle the price is too high, simple as that. Life's tough that way. I've sold many cars rather than trade and have always gotten much more that way, but unless you stumble across a sucker you will probably never get anywhere near retail. Dealers sometimes can because they offer financing and a warranty, even if it is just for a very short period.

Al

·
Registered
13 Posts
Selling the old one

I have replaced my Suburban with the Pilot. It took me almost two months to sell the Suburban for slightly less than KBB. I tried the newspaper classified ads, cars.com, the newsgroups, craigslist.org (SF bay area), and yahoo.com. Yahoo.com was far and away the greater provider of leads, and the eventual buyer came from that ad.

Inquiries trickled in over that period until the final week, when I had more interest than I could deal with. It turns out the ones who wanted my old Suburban had totaled their equivalent vehicle and were seeking a similar replacement. Must have been lots of accidents.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks ghamma-- This is what i really wanted more than price advice was method used so I can cover all bases. I have just never had to move a vehicle ASAP before, and, left to my own devices, I have always done well selling my vehicles. Thanks to all who took the time to post comments and advice and happy Piloting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts