Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having some problems starting my '07 Pilot. The battery is less than a year old. When I go to start it, it has a fast clicking sound and the lights blink but it doesn't have enough power to turn over. I am able to jump it (barely) with a portable jumper and it'll run fine after that (I've done 10-15 minute trips). If I start it up soon after, it'll start fine, but after it sits, I run into the same problem. I'm trickle charging the battery now. I've made sure the overhead lights are off and doors are tightly shut. Any ideas what it may be and other things I should check?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Even 1 year old batteries can go bad, especially if you have a bad alternator/voltage regulator. Fully charge the batter and have it load tested. If it tests good have the alternator tested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old battery ?
Alternator
Parasite drain

code reader/scanner ?
I meant to mention the battery is less than a year old. I too was thinking maybe it's the alternator.

I had a bluetooth adapter hooked into the cigarette lighter and have never had a problem with parasite drain but maybe it's that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even 1 year old batteries can go bad, especially if you have a bad alternator/voltage regulator. Fully charge the batter and have it load tested. If it tests good have the alternator tested.
Thanks, will do. I assume AutoZone (where I bought the battery) will load test it for free but I'll need to take it to a mechanic to have the alternator tested?

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
I meant to mention the battery is less than a year old. I too was thinking maybe it's the alternator.

I had a bluetooth adapter hooked into the cigarette lighter and have never had a problem with parasite drain but maybe it's that.
You did mention it.
I've been having some problems starting my '07 Pilot. The battery is less than a year old. When I go to start it, it has a fast clicking sound and the lights blink but it doesn't have enough power to turn over. I am able to jump it (barely) with a portable jumper and it'll run fine after that (I've done 10-15 minute trips). If I start it up soon after, it'll start fine, but after it sits, I run into the same problem. I'm trickle charging the battery now. I've made sure the overhead lights are off and doors are tightly shut. Any ideas what it may be and other things I should check?
Unless the bluetooth adapter is new and the problem started after it was installed I doubt that it is the issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
Thanks, will do. I assume AutoZone (where I bought the battery) will load test it for free but I'll need to take it to a mechanic to have the alternator tested?
If you are so inclined you can take the vehicle to Autozone as well. They should be able to test it as well. One thing I forgot to mention. Check the serpentine belt and the tensioner. If the tensioner is failing the belt can slip resulting in the alternator not being able to charge the battery.

Parasitic drains do happen and I'm not discounting the theory, but generally there needs to be some sort of change/addition/alteration for a parasitic drain to develop in an older vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Parasitic drains do happen and I'm not discounting the theory, but generally there needs to be some sort of change/addition/alteration for a parasitic drain to develop in an older vehicle.

That's what I was thinking as well. The only change is I replaced the front AC blower motor resistor 5 weeks ago. Doesn't seem like that would cause any problems, so am guessing one of the other things you listed.

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
Anything is possible. I would work my way down from the most obvious to the most unlikely.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The battery is always the first suspect, but it is relatively new and you say that even if you jump the car with a known good battery, it still starts with difficulty. That's the key test - with a known good jump and good/properly-attached jumper cables, does the car start normally? If it still turns over slow and/or if the static battery voltage with the car off is normal (say 12.5V or so), then it is unlikely to be the battery, although you could just replace it to eliminate any possibility - they're the cheapest and easiest thing to replace so you can just do it to be sure.

Alternator is next on checklist, but if the car continues to run fine for an extended period after starting, then implies it is providing enough power to keep the battery from draining. You should check battery voltage with the car in park but running and revving the engine to 3K or so, it should be 14.5V or so.

What this sounds like to me is a bad starter. When they go, they often start the car slowly (or not at all) when cold, and turn the engine over more slowly when hot. They're a bit expensive and a moderately difficult DIY repair, so you probably want a shop to confirm your diagnosis.

Good luck,

- Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update: I trickle charged it for 24 hours and it started up right away. I'll see how long it lasts until it won't turn over again - I only drive the vehicle once a week or so and usually for short ~10 minute trips.

I'm going on a quick trip (with my other car) but will likely be taking the Pilot to AutoZone and/or a shop when I get back next week. I'll post up when the problem is diagnosed and fixed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's still running fine after the trickle charge. I'm hoping I just left a door cracked or something and it drained the battery previously. If I start having problems again, I'll have the battery and alternator tested.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Well, it's still running fine after the trickle charge. I'm hoping I just left a door cracked or something and it drained the battery previously. If I start having problems again, I'll have the battery and alternator tested.
Has the BT adapter been removed last week as a potential contributor to the problem now that it's starting and running?

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
Quick update: I trickle charged it for 24 hours and it started up right away. I'll see how long it lasts until it won't turn over again - I only drive the vehicle once a week or so and usually for short ~10 minute trips.

I'm going on a quick trip (with my other car) but will likely be taking the Pilot to AutoZone and/or a shop when I get back next week. I'll post up when the problem is diagnosed and fixed.
Glad to hear that it is now working as it should. Once a week or so 10 minute trips will not keep the battery charged. Manufacturers expect that vehicles with all the bells and whistles will get driven a lot. If you can't drive it more and for longer than I would suggest that you get a battery minder. Something like this: BATTERY TENDER

You can permanently attache the ring end cable to the battery in the vehicle and securely store the cable under the hood. I routed mine to the front grill and zip tied it into place with a couple of black zip ties. It is not noticeable at all and when I need it I just take the cap off the end of the cable, plug it in to the minder and its good to go. I actually have two sets of ring end cables, one on my truck that doesn't get driven much and one on my 2020 Passport just in case I would need it. Besides a battery minder is much cheaper than going out and buying another battery, especially if you driving habits are just going to cause the same issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another update: I went to start it up today and ran into the same problem. I took it to Autozone and the battery tested as bad. Since I bought the battery less than a year ago, they did a free swap. I asked the guy if it's common for them to go bad so quickly and he said he wished it wasn't. He speculated that since the US shut down lead mines and is now importing all lead, that maybe the lead isn't as good. No idea if there's any truth to it.

Also, the previous guy at Autozone gladly took a tip, but this guy vehemently said "oh no thank you sir, no tips here". So maybe they're not suppose to take them?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts