1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I don't know too much about those Del Sol's. All those small and tiny cars look like coffins with wheels to me. But that was a fun read. So, the others were saying that he was lucky since he probably raced a non "S", or a SOHC and not a DOHC, or a non VTEC Del Sol? Would that really have made a big difference?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Love that story but really love this guy...
How do we get him? And the others there? (While I'm begging) :p

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sage said:
Were did you get that smily?:eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Do you put a badge or some kind of mark on the side of your Pilot now? Remember the marks they painted on fighters during the war?

Do you get to be called "Ace" if you get enough DelSol marks?

Don

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sage said:
Hahaha!:p Yeah, they recently added a bunch of smilies to the board. I joke around everytime we do updates because we are only a few smilies short to creating an entire sentence with them.:p ;)

Not sure, I'm sure the admins of this site would need to upgrade/update their smilie menu.:confused:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
dandbtucker said:
Do you put a badge or some kind of mark on the side of your Pilot now? Remember the marks they painted on fighters during the war?

Do you get to be called "Ace" if you get enough DelSol marks?

Don
...slight thread drift...

Top Navy ace David McCampbell - The U.S. Navy's leading fighter ace, Commander David McCampbell, wing commander of the USS Essex, is shown here in October 1944 with thirty kill markings on the side of his F6F. Flying a Hellcat, McCampbell downed more planes in a single sortie (nine) than any other American fighter pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
kemosabe said:
Honda Pilot with TWO del Sol "kills"...
I'm torn here. It's good to hear kill stories, but OTOH, this one happens to be of another Honda. I'd like to hear some kill stories out there with other SUV's, such as the RX300, Highlander, 4 Runner, QX4, Pathfinder, ML320, Durango, Trail Blazer, Envoy, X5 and etc.

I read that Trail Blazer, Envoy and X5 are actually faster than the Pilot according to their tests.

I thought about posting about this time I "dragged" an X5 (yes, it was a 3.0i or at least, there were no 4.4i or 4.6is decal on the back of the car when I checked) but it couldn't qualify as a kill story since the X5 tried to jump the light, but the light didn't turn green on him like the driver had anticipated, so, he had to break right away, just then, the light turned green at which time I stepped on it. So, the X5 got a "late" start because of its sneaky owner :D

I did hit V-TEC at every gear change and the X5 had no chance because of the hesitation take off. I was hoping we'd end up in "pole position" at the next set of lights, but he made a right turn as he approached the lights. I really wanted to see how well my Pilot would do against it since supposedly, it's only a bit slower than the X, both the Pilot and the X5.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Re: VTEC

colorider said:
Seems to me @4300 RPM.
rod
That's correct. I thought it kicked in at a lower RPM, but I was watching this automotive show on TV and the Pilot was the featured vehicle and that's what the commentator said as well.

You have to give her pretty good to get it to kick in, but boy, does it feel and sound good when it does :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
well it seem that u can pull away much faster if you keep the pilot in V-tec, that is shift it manualy on the lever, and if you do it just right you can keep the car in v-tec in every gear,
just for fun i raced my friend rental car, which was a mitsubishi diamanti or whatever they are called, and beat him by a car lenght and then raced him with just leaving the car in D and lost by 2 car lenghts, trust me guys it works to shift it, just don't hit the rev limiter.;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
FastWRX said:
well it seem that u can pull away much faster if you keep the pilot in V-tec, that is shift it manualy on the lever, and if you do it just right you can keep the car in v-tec in every gear,
just for fun i raced my friend rental car, which was a mitsubishi diamanti or whatever they are called, and beat him by a car lenght and then raced him with just leaving the car in D and lost by 2 car lenghts, trust me guys it works to shift it, just don't hit the rev limiter.;)
Huh?? You actually shifted the gears using the Pilot? Wow, I never thought of doing that at all. So, you start out in D1 and up shift through to D as you would in a manual car? Do you let off the gas a bit or do you let off completely, when you shift up? Do you lift up the gear lever real quick or do it gently? Ya got me real curious now :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RipRocK said:

Huh?? You actually shifted the gears using the Pilot? Wow, I never thought of doing that at all. So, you start out in D1 and up shift through to D as you would in a manual car? Do you let off the gas a bit or do you let off completely, when you shift up? Do you lift up the gear lever real quick or do it gently? Ya got me real curious now :D
:eek: :D :p I can just see pictures of some Pilots at a drag strip now!;) :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
RipRocK said:

well you would start at (1) and right before you hit the redline click it up one to (2) ( it might take a little practice but i got down just perfect) do the same for next gear except in 2nd you can go into the reline a little more then click to(D3). this keeps the pilot in lift or v-tec and makes the car alot faster. i have many kill stories

·
Registered
311 Posts
Pedal to the Metal

And your gas mileage is? That person who rear-ended you (info from a different post) must have had to chase you. lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Pedal to the Metal

seadog said:
And your gas mileage is? That person who rear-ended you (info from a different post) must have had to chase you. lol
i was at a complete stop when he hit me but his car (98 mustang gt)did get destroyed. it had to get towed away from the seen, while the pilot left with minor battle scars. which was just two indents on the bumper and a bent exhaust. And for the gas mileage, its probably still better than any american SUV.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Any good off-the-line stories?

Anybody race a competing SUV off-the-line from a stop? I took a Chevy Blazer the other day with no problem. Pilot does pretty well...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts